Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-30-WCW-Nitro] Chris Jericho vs Marty Jannetty

Loss

• 2 months later...

Jericho dedicates the match to Dean Malenko. Jericho says that he let a lot of people down when he quit after losing. Jericho says that he has shamed his father enough and that he wasn't a quitter like him.

Marty Janetty comes out looking just like he did in 1993 with the same gear as well. 2 minute match with Jannetty getting a flurry of offense and then Jericho coming back and getting the Liontamer for the win. (*)

Jericho still has some time and decides to list his 1,004 holds. Great stuff.

Jericho ripped up a sign from a fan supporting him, which became a staple over time. Of course, the announcers can't be bothered to notice as they are too busy yapping about the NWO. Jericho is dedicating the match to the memory of Dean Malenko. He quotes Hanson!

Marty Jannetty comes out to the old Steve Austin music. Mike Tenay mentions that WCW has an open door policy. When did WCW become World Class? Short match that Jericho wins. Post-match, he decides to list all of his 1004 holds. The Saskatchewan Spinning Nerve Hold! I love that they take a commercial break and come back and he's up to the 700s with the crowd booing like crazy. I hate that they cut away from this so quickly to do their top of the hour fireworks. Meanwhile, Prince Iaukea comes out for his match while Jericho is still in the ring listing everything ("... the Super Blizzard!") and refuses to let Jericho continue. The paper gets torn and Jericho screams, "GIVE ME MY HOLDS!"

Awesome stuff. Jericho is the most fun guy in WCW.

• 1 year later...

Larry Z, incredulously: "In an MMMBop, it's gone??!"

Nothing match and Jannetty looks pretty stiff and toasty, but that isn't the story. Jericho reveals that Dean Malenko only knows about 60 holds (he counted), and decides to rattle off all 1,004 holds that he knows. ARMBAR! Prince Nakamaki comes out to spoil all the fun, and reveals that he was trained by Boris Malenko as well, and refuses to let Jericho continue to dishonor his memory. Jericho throws a fit and now has a stopover program while we wait for Deano to return. TL;DR: Segment of the Year.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-03-30-WCW-Nitro] Chris Jericho vs Marty Jannetty