Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-04-ECW-Buffalo, NY] Rob Van Dam vs Bam Bam Bigelow

Loss

• 2 months later...

When RVD started doing his stalling BS early on, I thought we were in for another disappointing match, but this was really good - one of the best matches Van Dam ever had. I thought they did a surprisingly good job allowing the dangerous highspots time to breathe and get over. This was a real war, progressively getting more violent with some really nice nearfalls that had the crowd hyped. Bigelow had his face all bandaged up and it fell off, revealing a nasty cut that was reopened. Bigelow's power spots were a nice contrast to Van Dam's flying moves. I was surprised at how much I like this, and the title change at the end really does feel like an important moment.

I was weary as well at the early going of this, but I credit Bigelow a lot with keeping the pace up here and making this feel more like a fight instead of a collection of spots. The crowd is pretty rabid for RVD and he feels like a bigger deal than he has so far. Joey on commentary tries to put over the narrative that RVD is softening up Bigelow for Sabu at the PPV. The spots RVD does into the crowd are extremely memorable and look great. The finish was a little weird with Sabu giving an assist but then being seemingly conflicted but the moment felt big and RVD has the tv title. (***1/2)

This was an excellent match. RVD could be really good as a guy bumping around for a more powerful opponent. And his dives over the rail hold up as impressive spots, with the camera angle really capturing the distance he flew. Bigelow delivered an excellent performance as well--almost Vaderesque in the way he mixed being a badass with making RVD look good. The Sabu stuff didn't take away from it too much. It made sense in the context of the ongoing storyline and gave RVD a believable way to pin the big guy. This trip through the '90s has left me more anti-ECW than pro, but this was among the best U.S. matches of the year to date.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one I've seen a million times but never really tire of - great big spots, tells a great story both in-match (classic David v. Goliath, and the dynamic really helps Van Dam get over) and with the storyline (the issues with Sabu are a very natural outgrowth of their ongoing friendship and rivalry).

• 1 year later...

Yes, very good match--easily RVD's best to date, thanks to Bigelow reigning him in and making his high-flying look like the only strategic weapon available to him rather than just being masturbatory. There's also good build to simpler spots like RVD hitting the huracanrana at a pivotal moment after Bigelow blocked it the first time. I didn't care for the ref bump and I don't quite get why Sabu was even helping out if he didn't want RVD to win the title, but whatever--the work was outstanding.

• 1 month later...

Why was I such a RVD mark back then? I agree the stalling at the beginning was mind numbing. However it did get better, but I still think RVD was too much in a hurry to get his shit in. With that sad, goes to show you ECW quality when this is contender for ECW MOTY.

• 3 months later...

ECW World TV Champion Bam Bam Bigelow vs Rob Van Dam - ECW 4/4/98

Awesome monster heel performance by Bam Bam I don't know if he ever looked this monstrous. He was this Creature of Black Lagoon that would keep rising and rising and all of RVD's crazy bombs couldn't not keep him down. Loved RVD's offense here too it was all about creating space to create a chance for an aerial assault. Great shit! Like really impressive how good escalation was and how committed each was to his role. RVD's dives into crowd were insane and Still Bigelow keeps coming loved that leg drop on railing. RVD full court press! Bugelows clothesline was great. Feels like a horror movie. RVD reopening BAM BAMs cut was great. If the finish was the missed moonsault into Five Star frogsplash. I'd probably go scary high on this match but the finish is overwrought and fucking stupid.

RVD is here to soften up Bam Bam for Sabu for upcoming PPV. However RVD is a cocky prick and has kinda been an asshole to Sabu. So Sabu comes out helps RVD win the title and then is all pissed when it happens. Wouldn't it make sense for RVD to win on his own look selfish and get Sabu pissed? But a match without run-ins is passé ugh! Up until the run-in incredible match just total commitment to a monster vs aerial assault of RVD. Shocked how good this was, highly recommended! ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1998-04-04-ECW-Buffalo, NY] Rob Van Dam vs Bam Bam Bigelow