Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-06-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon

Loss

• 1 month later...

Vince comes out first to talk about Austin’s arrest and how he was kind enough to bail him out of jail that night. So he introduces the “new” Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin comes down in a suit but also with a baseball cap. Vince appreciates Austin’s effort but he isn’t wearing his Gucci shoes and he shouldn’t be wearing his hat. Austin asks Vince if one of the security guys can take a picture of this moment. Vince gives a great cocky smile for the camera. Austin then says that’s the last time you will ever see him in a suit and he rips it off. He asks Vince to bow down to him and hits him in the stomach so he bows down. Another excellent segment. Vince’s selling of the shot to the stomach was better than almost anyone on the WWF roster at the time could do for selling that required more subtly than over acting.

• 2 weeks later...

Iconic segment again with these two with Austin in a suit taking photos and Vince being the proud papa. I thought the nutshot Austin gives was great to savor up the moment when vince would get another stunner. King on commentary interacting with JR has gotten to become their best pairing and they are playing off each other tremendously. We don't know who Austin is facing at the PPV at this point and that really doesn't matter.

Predictable but still fun in the execution. Vince's cat-ate-the-canary expression before Stone Cold flipped the script was fantastic stuff. It's hard to overstate how great a performer Vince was in this period. Austin was on the hottest run ever and deserves the credit he's gotten, but the whole thing was a duet. In a lot of ways, Vince whipped WCW with tools he had all along but wasn't using. So yeah, competition is good.

• 1 year later...

One of the all time classic segments in Austin/McMahon nice to see it in full. I loved Austin balltapping McMahon and VinnyMac's reaction to it.

It was weird when Austin pulled a camera out of his pocket. I am so used to the IPhone. It was just one of those strange moments.

I really liked McMahon's "You promised!" too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-04-06-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon