Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-06-WCW-Nitro] Kevin Nash vs Sting

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Sting is working over Nash's knee. Konnan is at ringside in Nash's corner. Nash reaches the ropes when Sting locks in the Scorpion Deathlock. This match isn't half bad, believe it or not, as Nash sells really well. Sting has a nice comeback too, in spite of Konnan's clumsy run-in. Hogan runs in when Nash is about to win and starts pummeling Sting. Nash pulls Hogan off of Sting and they get in a shoving match. People are pretty hot for this. The NWO ends up running in and attacking Sting, but Nash and Konnan separate themselves from the group and just bail. I'd probably look back on this fondly if it led to an actual Hogan-Nash feud.

Big time match for Nitro. K-Dawg has assumed the Hall role as Nash's #2 guy. I also thought Nash sold the leg well during the match and this should have been a PPV encounter. Hogan runs out and starts putting the boots to Sting right as it looks like Nash has him for the taking. Nashi gets angered by this and they start going at it. Piper runs down and starts fending people off including giving the worst eye poke in history to K-Dawg. The show ends with NWO members having to get between Nash and Hogan from going after each other.

• 1 year later...

People still aren't clear about the rules of the power bomb, as Nash gets disqualified right after he was going to get disqualified anyway. That aside, as uninspiring as WCW's main event scene has been, they've got a genuinely intriguing subtext to the upcoming Bat Match with Hogan and Nash having to team up despite being at odds. I was starting to watch less and less of Nitro in 1998 and gave up on it entirely after the Fingerpoke of Doom so some of this is either new or just forgotten, so they actually have me curious as to where this goes even though it will be an inevitable disappointment.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-04-06-WCW-Nitro] Kevin Nash vs Sting