Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-20-WWF-Raw] Dude Love promo

Loss

• 2 months later...

Vince quickly interrupts the Love Shack segment upset that the Dude messed with the Austin match the week before. He fines him $5,000 and then leaves. Dude explains himself by saying Austin attacked him from behind the week before. He also says that when the Dude was scoring hot chicks when they were tag team champions, Austin only got the attention of out-of-shape housewives. Dude is willing to forget about the #1 contenders match tonight against Steve Blackman (against Steve Blackman?) if Austin will just come out later and apologize. This promo meanders in a way Foley promos normally don't, as this gimmick makes it tough to do good promos, but it does advance the storyline.

• 2 weeks later...

Foley gave one of his best promos every two weeks earlier but something felt off about this. I don't know if it was the taped atmosphere of the live crowd or what but the tone wasn't as extreme as Foley promos are which leads me to believe it may be just the character. Dude says it will be water under the bridge if Austin is willing to apologize. Good luck with that Dude.

• 1 year later...

I liked the light-heartedness of the Dude's promo. You know he can snap at any time. I really enjoyed his explanation about the chicks. I thought he was going to say jealousy or money like everyone. It was nice to go a different route with the hot chicks. Usually, I dig the slow burn, but I think Dude joining Vince would have helped his heta.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude has new music for his new segment that's a bit more in line with his '60s persona than the BeeGees-esque theme he normally uses. McMahon quickly interrupts and laments that Dude Love cost him a chance to humiliate Steve Austin, and fines Dude $5000. I'm still not sure why they felt the need to tease dissension or animosity between the Dude and Vince, but that seems to be a recurring booking trope of this era--they did it with Shawn and Helmsley and then DX and the Outlaws, too, before they ultimately solidified as a team. Dude explains that when he and Austin were tag champs, they were followed by a bevy of pussy...cats. But Austin got the housewives with hair on their upper lip. The Dude will pull out of Unforgiven if Austin gets on his knees and apologizes.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-04-20-WWF-Raw] Dude Love promo