Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-21-FMW-Fighting Creation] Mr Gannosuke vs Jinsei Shinzaki

Loss

• 2 months later...

I've tried to watch this four times and have had to start over each time because I've drifted off. I'm not sure why, as I generally like both guys, especially Gannosuke. I don't think my inability to concentrate had anything to do with the match. while I don't think this was super high end, I do think it was very good. Shinzaki has good chemistry with Gannosuke, but I don't think they had any other matches. This was basically an old-style FMW brawling match with an All Japan style bombfest at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Loss aren't seeing eye to eye on FMW as this was my favorite match sans the January Gannosuke one. Gannosuke takes control early and dies a disgusting power bomb through the table. Shinzaki is really on the defensive which makes his come back that much better. The finishing stretch certainly featured big moves but it had more time to breathe than the hayabusa match from march. It feels like an event when Jinsei wins. (***3/4)

• 4 weeks later...

This set is making me feel like I made a huge mistake in not tracking down some FMW in the late 90s. I think this stuff is great now, but 16 year old Chris would have flipped out for this stuff.

This was another excellent match. Loved the counters, particularly Shinzaki's power bomb counter. Loved what an asshole Gannosuke is. Loved the pacing. Just a great time.

• 1 year later...

This *did* drag quite a bit after the first power bomb, a phenomenally sick bump, so I can see how it can break one's concentration. But man, once Shinzaki starts his first comeback this gets pretty awesome. So many awesome counters and then counters to counters, plus payback spots, all with a psychological basis. Shinzaki really comes off as a gutsy bastard and I'd say this is the singles performance of his career, if not his best work period. After being jumped before the bell and being on the ropes for most of the match and having his moves and mannerisms constantly mocked, his victory really feels earned and is a feel-good moment.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-04-21-FMW-Fighting Creation] Mr Gannosuke vs Jinsei Shinzaki
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I’m not too big on Shinzaki, but I thought he was great in this match. Gannosuke killed the match with his dire heat section and he got the crowd back up to a fever pitch. The match was fun though. Shinzaki attacked Gannosuke while he was coming out of his dressing room and got the advantage early before going through the table. The closing stretch was good with some interesting moes and quality sequences to close out the match, giving Shinzaki the win. Such a great way to build Gannosuke up for his Brass Knuckles title match in 9 days. ***1/2