Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-01-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & The Giant vs Lex Luger & Kevin Nash

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes of a super heated main event, which ends in a DQ when Hogan brings in the world title and attacks everyone with it. Hogan and Giant are working over Nash when Sting descends from the rafters. He takes off his trench coat to reveal an NWO black and white t-shirt. when Hogan lets his guard down, he eats a clothesline. Then Giant gets bodyslammed before Sting reveals a Wolfpac shirt underneath. This worked in the moment based on the pop it got, but why was Sting in the rafters for a year again? Who was he protesting anyway? He's now in a group led by a guy who orchestrated the whole fake Sting thing. The announcers are treating this as a great moment. Yuck.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole angle feels like a strong argument to the "crowd can't be wrong" group. Wolfpac keeps getting great pops and this monumental moments like Luger and Sting joining are met with huge reactions, but the damage is extremely detrimental and when the patron goes home after the show, they realize that a lot of this shit just doesn't add up. I was blurred in 1998 and was going crazy for Sting joining the Wolfpac but man do I hate it now and when I think back on 1998, it isn't like I bought any more PPV's as a result and when I went to the 7/6/98 Nitro, whos merch did I buy? Goldberg.

I think I might've liked the Wolfpac so much because of the song. The Sting thing was pretty stupid, especially with him suddenly grinning like an idiot at the prospect of hanging with the cool kids. And of course, they had to include a mini-swerve. I mean, who the fuck would seriously believe he'd join Hogan? Although Loss is right that joining Nash and Savage wasn't much better. If the character had any integrity, he'd have told both sides to piss off.

• 1 year later...

Childs nails it. I'd have Sting reveal the red and black t-shirt, then turn around do the exact same thing to Nash, Savage, and Luger. He takes off that shirt and walks off on his own, leaving both NWOs laying. Sting bodyslamming the Giant is cool and this gets over huge, but it completely kills Sting stone dead. Sting has a dumb smile on his face and Konnan has to teach him how to dance to the Wolfpack theme and this is all very lame in retrospect.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-01-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & The Giant vs Lex Luger & Kevin Nash
  • 4 years later...