Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-05-AAA] Octagoncito vs Mini Abismo Negro

Loss

• 2 months later...

I don't think the AAA style at this point was capable of producing an all-time classic title match, and this wasn't that. But it was a very good match that was lots of fun, maybe the best possible match AAA could have with all the gaga mixed in. The purist in me hated this, and for those of you who enjoy title match lucha, you're not going to find your typical title match here at all. But if you set that aside and just judge the match on the merits, it's good stuff with lots of crowd-popping dives and outside interference. Worth watching for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Parts of this was good including the stuff with the big wrestlers around ringside but other felt like gratuitous interfering and choppy. This ultimately resulted in an uneven match and Mini Abismo had some awkward looking stuff on top. It may be an unfair standard but the mini stuff we have gotten on the yearbooks generally has been awesome so this being only good felt like a bit of a letdown. (***)

• 1 month later...

The action here was certainly impressive with plenty of high flying and spectacular moves. Well executed too. The seconds were heavily involved. In fact they provided most of the Tecnico vs Rudo activity. It was good quality but shallow. Scoring well for technical merit rather than story.

• 1 year later...

This was not a classic lucha title match by any means but I did like it--1998 seems to have a gigantic glut of good-to-really-good matches while being low on real classics. Obviously work in the Big Two is going down but even internationally there seem to be issues. I suspect my year-end MOTY list will have the most "low-end" MOTYCs of any list so far. Anyway, Octagoncito with his crazy dives and springboards and Asai moonsaults seems more like Octagon's imitator the Great Sasuke than Octagon himself, and the match is much better for it. Mini Abismo seems more like a base who's just there for most of this, but he does suitably kill Octagoncito dead with a power bomb at the finish. I think this might have actually been better with *more* shtick and gaga, since the bigger Abismo was the better rudo and the stuff with the seconds got great heat.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-05-AAA] Octagoncito vs Mini Abismo Negro