Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-08-WCW-Nitro] Chris Benoit vs Booker T

Loss

• 2 months later...

Match 6 of 7. This series is working well, as Booker T and Benoit are both very over with this crowd. Another excellent match in the series - I'd probably put this number two overall so far. It's hard to really say much new, not because the matches are repetitive, but more just because what makes them good is pretty consistent. Stevie Ray comes out and gives Booker a wakeup call, which is effective in adding to the drama. They go into a few really terrific nearfalls right after that. Benoit does a great job cutting off Booker's comebacks at just the right moment. Really nice finish with the pinning combo into the sunset flip position to tie the series at 3-3. Benoit attacks Booker after the match and works over his knee until Stevie comes in and stops this. I loved this and the crowd was HOT for it.

• 3 weeks later...

This was my second favorite of the series. After a tentative start, this really opened up. I know I can be a Tony apologist at times but it was Bobby in this match that distracts him and turns the attention away from the match as they start to bicker. Stevie Ray comes down again to help out Booker. I really loved the kick out of the German and it felt like the crowd had been watching the series along as they popped when Booker kicked out. I also liked how when Booker got flashy, Benoit put the boots to him. Booker is able to even this up with a spinning pinning attempt that is something new he debuts. Keep em coming. (***1/4)

• 1 year later...

I'd say this is my favorite of the series so far. This, I would guess, gets the most time of any of the 6 matches and they work a slow build to some basic but effective highspots and near-falls at the end. The slow start works, because there's lots of countering going on to establish that these two guys know each other inside and out now.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-08-WCW-Nitro] Chris Benoit vs Booker T