Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-29-WWF-Raw] Val Venis vs Dick Togo

Loss

• 2 months later...

Interesting for a few reasons, one being that I'm told they used an underage model as Yamaguchi's wife. Val is propositioning her and when Kaientai objects, they eat chairshots. Meanwhile, Dustin Rhodes does color commentary and tries to preach the word of God to Ross and Lawler.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Venis and Togo are actually working hard to put on a decent TV match, and are successful, but none of that matters. A hot chick is at ringside in the role of Wally Yamaguchi's wife, and Dustin is out preaching the Word of God. Dustin once again throws himself 100% into a character that could be death, and provides some good awkward-by-design moments in badgering Ross and Lawler to accept Christ in their lives. The setting up of two feuds for Val at once is a bit of overkill--that's Russo Brand Crash TV for you, I guess. Val propositions Mrs. Yamaguchi afterward, then shoves down Yamaguchi and chairshots all of Kaientai into oblivion when they object. What an asshole.

Watched this because I felt like some WWF Togo and actually thought this was a really good 5 minute sprint. Really a credit to both guys that they managed to have a good match despite the TV production trying its damndest to prevent such a thing from happening.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-29-WWF-Raw] Val Venis vs Dick Togo