Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-02-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Chris Jericho / Chris Jericho vs Rey Misterio Jr

Loss

• 2 months later...

Jericho gets heat in Columbus, GA by saying Columbia, GA is his favorite town. The office wanted to put him on at the end of the show and he told them to sit on it! His fans wanted to see him first and they deserve the best. How kind Jericho is! Jericho decided to give the people something special - he's flown Rey Misterio Jr. in for a match but it's a little person under a hood. This crowd absolutely hates him. The little guy actually gets a couple of offensive moves on him and then Jericho pulls the bogus Rey on top of him to secure a win. Jericho gets out a fake "Wow, I can't believe he beat me" and says that must mean Rey is the #1 contender now so he'll have to face him at Bash at the Beach. Tremendous! I love this segment and Jericho trying to duck every real title match he can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was great and I loved seeing the Jericho hijinks with a new opponent which makes the unsatisfying conclusion of the Malenko feud sting a little more. Columbus, GA is a pretty detestable town so Jericho busting on it is fine by me. Jericho has done everything he could in 1998 to get himself over by thinking outside of the box in every way.

• 1 year later...

The "Columbia, Georgia" line after having to ask Dave Penzer where they are was funnier than anything Joel Gertner has said this year. Jericho promises a 5-star affair for us Internet geeks and sheet-readers, and produces a fat, pudgy Rey Misterio, Jr. Still waiting for Jericho to refer to him as "Ron Misterio." Misterio scores a humongous upset, thus making him the #1 contender to the Cruiserweight title and not Malenko. When you're brilliant, you're brilliant.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-07-02-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Chris Jericho / Chris Jericho vs Rey Misterio Jr