Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-17-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is it. That segment. Hogan was so overexposed at this point, as this was his second time coming out to cut a promo on this show. Hogan calls Nash and DDP "yesterday's garbage" and says he'll be the man whether they like it or not. He gets a big pop and I'd be surprised if he didn't. Hogan saying "I thought you were dead" to Warrior was the highlight of this, but this goes on and on and on. And on. And on. When that's over, it goes on some more. Warrior makes a reference to The Disciple being Brutus Beefcake and disappears in a cloud of smoke. This got off to a fine start but we know this has disaster written all over it.

• 4 weeks later...

I love how on the Warrior DVD, Hogan said his big problem with the segment was that Warrior said that he had beat him. Why wouldn't Warrior reference that when the whole selling point of Warrior in WCW is for a Hogan rematch? (and politically, for Hogan to get his win back)

• 3 weeks later...

The pop was cool and impressive. Hogan's reaction was hilarious and he even gets in a gangbusters line about Warrior being dead. Warrior says that Hogan has never beat a Warrior which is a good point. Then he wont shut the fuck up. I seriously changed a diaper, washed bottles, and folded laundry in the time Warrior drowned on and disappeared. Not a promising start.

• 1 year later...

"I thought you were dead."

"This dude must be your Barber."

There you have it--two good lines in a segment that felt like it was 45 minutes. The second one seems to get a genuine laugh out of the Brain. Warrior gets a big pop and reaction but the reactions dissipate the longer, and longer, and longer this segment goes. Warrior saying "Let me introduce myself" at the 37-minute mark gets an ironic laugh out of me. WCW had about one shot to make something out of landing the Warrior and you can't say they made much of it tonight.

• 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-08-17-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior