Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-24-WWF-Raw] Chyna and The Nation

Loss

• 2 months later...

Chyna is out to confront The Rock for what he did to HHH last week. She seems to want a fight. The Nation follow Rock out shortly after he makes his appearance. Rock does all the talking and reveals that The Nation backed a forklift in front of DX's dressing room door, leaving her all by herself. Rock accuses Chyna of looking at him with bedroom eyes. He finally tells Chyna she needs to get some, and she lunges for him, trying to knock him off the ladder he was standing on. Rock tells The Nation to get Chyna on her knees where she belongs. He teases kissing Chyna before saying there's no way he would ever kiss a piece of trash like her. Instead, he is ordering Mark Henry to give her the thrill of her life. Finally, Shawn Michaels makes the save with a chair to a huge pop. This was a great segment with Rock being awesome and Shawn's save being a huge surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

The Nation get physical with Chyna, roughly holding her down like they would do with a man. She's no sweet, helpless female though as she looks like she wants to tear the Rock's head off. This was the starting point for the Sexual Chocolate character as well. HBK making the save was a big surprise. At the time I kept expecting him to announce a comeback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This was a FANTASTIC segment--one I vaguely remember from the live airing but something I found almost spellbinding this time. Rock is such a despicable, contemptible piece of shit here, of Tully-esque proportions. It's hard to imagine him sinking any lower. It's also good to see the Nation get more heat on DX for the second week in a row. Despite the threatened sexual assault taking place I couldn't help but laugh out loud when Rock passed up the opportunity to kiss Chyna and instead told Mark Henry to do it. One because the delivery was so funny and two because this will lead to a pretty fun storyline before it goes completely off the rails. It'd be easy to point to this as another example of Russo misogyny in action but this segment actually works, because Chyna is otherwise portrayed strongly and because of Rock's total commitment to being a scumbag that it leaves no doubt who the face and the heel are. Oh, and the surprise return of Shawn was a big deal as well--you had to think that this was leading to an in-ring return.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-24-WWF-Raw] Chyna and The Nation