Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] New Age Outlaws vs Mankind

Loss

• 2 months later...

The NAO win the tag titles but this was great for getting Foley over and beginning his transition to babyface. Good booking here. I think the NAO are too heelish here but I like the booking sentiment. Kane shows up in the dumpster after the Outlaws toss Foley in and lays him out with a sledgehammer.

• 1 month later...

I hated Gunn's promo calling Mick a piece of trash. The NAO pretty much squash Mick here and regain the titles. I know I have brought this point up time and time again but the NAO were really over for the intro and catchphrases and we have seen time and time again on this yearbook that they have rode the coat-tails of Attitude Era nostalgia and broke up before they could wear out their welcome. XPAC feels more over on this show. Kane hitting the sledgehammer to Mick is a dick move. (*1/2)

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the Outlaws really can't bring the goods in the ring to back up their entrance--this match proves it, though Foley does his damnedest to try to make something out of it and get sympathy on himself by being absolutely brutalized. It's just that the NAO can't really sustain a compelling control segment. JR does a really good job of trying not to heel the Outlaws too much by pointing out that this match is the fault of McMahon and Kane, not them, but Gunn's post-match promo sort of ruins that. Kane appears in the Dumpster and brings a sledgehammer down, presumably on Mick's head, as JR loses it.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] New Age Outlaws vs Mankind