Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

This played like DDP getting a reward for giving Goldberg such a good match the night before. He also had what may have been Bret's best match of the year here. This was excellent. His WCW character is not his WWF character, as even heel Bret in the WWF didn't really hide foreign objects or use the ropes for leverage. But they still crafted a good match with a title change and a strong post-match angle to boot. Forget about this as WCW giving Bret a top spot on the show or anything like that. Business was declining and Hogan was phasing himself down while Goldberg, Bret, Flair and Nash would be more heavily featured.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't as keen on this as Charles, perhaps it is worth a rewatch for me. I thought Bret didn't have the focus that he showed in the Luger/Sting matches and DDP didn't have the desperation. The bump Bret took on the Diamond Cutter finish was really odd as well. DDP wins which is a nice way to elevate the US title but I was left cold overall. **3/4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely agree with Charles on this one and thought this was Bret's second best match of the year behind the Flair match and it was thanks to DDP. Chad, saying DDP did not have the same desperation as Sting and Luger still like an odd claim to me. Luger is a good verbal seller, but he is not a hope spot guy. He just does his big comeback. Sting was fine at selling, but nothing special. DDP is the king of the desperation sell at this point. At first he pulling himself up by the ring ropes and unloading and then he is trying roll ups and then he is clawing towards Bret Hart. DDP was in the zone at this point!

WCW US Champion Bret Hart vs Diamond Dallas Page - WCW Nitro 10/26/98

One night after he took Goldberg to the limit, DDP gets a title shot against Bret Hart. I love that booking. DDP is red-hot at this point, but he is coming off a loss.How do you capitalize on that heat? Have him beat Bret Hart and take the US title! Excellent booking! Bret Hart has a rep of taking people out like Booker T at Bash At The Beach and Sting at Halloween Havoc so how do you capitalize on that well, have him look to take out DDP. Only problem is DDP Dies Hard.

Bret Hart gets put in a match against DDP and has his best match of the year since the Flair match, coincidence, I think not. DDP was the best American main event wrestler at this point. The early part of the match with DDP just taking it to Bret Hart at his own game everything just drips with effort. You know Bret Hart is the more polished of the two, but DDP has the heart and the passion to close the gap between him and Hart. Bret Hart is getting countered at every turn and this already hotter than the Sting and Luger matches, which were good. Hart uses the hotshot to take control. What takes this match to the next level for Hart is DDP's selling. At first, DDP still has enough energy to pull himself up by the ropes and unload with punches. I love that spot! Hart keeps cutting him off, but you get the feeling you just cant keep Page down. Like when Bret drops an elbow on a DDP that is trying to get up on all fours. I loved that visual along with DDP clawing towards Bret as he only know one direction. DDP should be ranked higher as one of the all-time great babyfaces because his desperation selling and never say die attitude is what being a babyface is all about. Hart is on his heel A-game using his feet on the ropes and a foreign object. Hell he even busts out a superplex. Bret Hart has to resort to a low blow that wipes out DDP and the ref. Hart goes to swing with the foreign object, but DDP ducks and BANG! DIAMOND CUTTER! 1-2-3! DDP wins the US Title, but Bret Hart attacks him after the match pinpointing his knee with the chair and then applying the Sharpshooter as the fans chant for Goldberg who comes as we go off the air.

DDP was just the ultimate blue collar, hard working, never say die babyface and he delivered a great performance. Finally Bret has a babyface that can really generate that sympathy and make his heel character stand out. DDP added a lot to the standard Bret Hart match based on his character and is a very entertaining match, probably the best Nitro main event of the year. ***3/4

• 1 year later...

Ah, I've been waiting for it...the infamous "Bret Clark" intro by Buffer. Some conspiracy theorists have posited that this was deliberate sabotage on the part of Hogan or somebody.

Bret shows that he can still bring the goods when he's pushed, and DDP is just the guy to do that. He takes some great bumps and unleashes some big offense like a killer superplex. Page wins the U.S. title, which surprises me.

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-10-26-WCW-Nitro] Bret Hart vs DDP