Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-11-22-WCW-World War III] Battle Royal

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. This was apparently the first match put together entirely by Kevin Nash as the booker. Everyone is standing around while Benoit does all the work. Bigelow enters the ring through the crowd and both NWOs and the WCW guys gang up on him. Goldberg comes out and is ready to fight Bigelow. They get in a brawl that looks better than anything else in this crapola match. It comes down to Benoit and Malenko against the NWOs, which could have made for a fun finale if WCW had a clue. Konnan took his exit through the middle rope. Nash signals that everyone should take out The Giant. They all gang up on him to a huge pop. Benoit and Malenko are quickly eliminated, giving us Hall, Nash and Luger as the final three with Nash victorious. There was SUCH a misplaced sense of optimism at the time that Nash had won his political war with Hogan and was going to push WCW in an entirely new direction.

• 1 month later...

I will say that as the first match of Nash's regime, this was booked pretty well with a lot of stuff going on. Goldberg and Bigelow have another heated pull apart and at a bare minimum should have fought here. We get faction wars with Horseman vs. Wolfpac vs. splintered B&W. They team up to dump the Giant and Nash's buddy Hall gets a good rub. I did like Nash and Luger going after each other because they want the title shot. Nash ends up winning and is on a collision course with Goldberg at Starrcade. I really don't think this was the right choice.

Man the action is dull as dishwater here. Between Royal Rumbles and TV battle royales WWE has done a pretty good job the last several years of making battle royales fun to watch at the very least once the last dozen or so guys are in the ring. This was just nothing, work-wise.

The Bigelow interference was cool. Looking at the match listings I can't believe that a legit Goldberg/Bigelow match didn't happen, watching some of the build up. It's an exciting match up that the crowd was into and could've been a good match.

edit: Looking at the 99 listing, looks like Goldberg/Bigelow happens in February. We'll see if the feud is still hot by then after the loss to Nash.

• 1 year later...

Pretty shitty action, minus the Goldberg/Bigelow brawl. Absolutely flabbergasting that they didn't run that match as a headliner--even for Nitro (not counting the non-match last week). I don't see any reason for optimism just looking at this match in a vacuum. Benoit and Malenko get tossed like common jobbers and the divide between the Old Guard and those two, Booker, and Wrath is still rock-solid.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-11-22-WCW-World War III] Battle Royal