Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-12-13-FMW-Year End Sensation] Hayabusa vs Hisakatsu Oya

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is about half the length of their 1995-1996 matches. Oya is awesome with his matwork and unique suplexes. I've liked Hayabusa more than most in 1998 but I don't think his performance here was great. He wasn't bad or anything, but he didn't work up to Oya's level in terms of aggression. Oya does too many things for this not to be good and I love the sudden nature of the finish. I also think this is an ideal amount of time for them. But the match was missing something to put it over the top compared to other FMW matches in '98.

but he didn't work up to Oya's level in terms of aggression.

that was part of the story. When the #1 contenders tournament was announced Hayabusa did a promo boasting how he was going to win easily which pissed off Oya because he was being overlooked and makes him super motivated to go on a massive run tearing through every one.

98 - 99 is pretty much the peak of the company post Onita era in terms of the roster gelling together, the booking and the in ring peaking all at the same time.

• 1 month later...

This was good and I did like Oya consistently trying to grind the match back to the mat. I also thought this didn't run into the trope that Busa matches can at times with the long extended finish that makes me feel like they are blowing through too many moves. The flash pin showing that Busa came in overconfident was smart in this case. (***1/2)

• 2 years later...

Sort of a lesser version of the Honaga vs. Liger series--Hayabusa's the big flashy star and Oya is barely an athlete, but he's tricky and crafty and knows enough to keep Hayabusa off balance and to stay in the match. I agree with Chad that they kept this from being overindulgent. I thought we were headed that way after Oya kicked out of the Firebird Splash, but they went to a flash pin--and a very cool one--right after that. I've been far more down on 1998 FMW in general and Hayabusa specifically than anyone else (I can't believe, at this point, that I put him in my GWE list) but this was fun.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-12-13-FMW-Year End Sensation] Hayabusa vs Hisakatsu Oya