Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-12-28-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Eric Bischoff

Loss

• 3 months later...

Bischoff tries to duck out on the match and the Horsemen make a surprise appearance, carting Bischoff to the ring. The NWO try to run in and help Bischoff pretty quickly but the NWO cut them off at the aisle. The Giant comes out and walks right past everyone and headbutts Flair in the ring. WCW guys clear the locker room to hold off the NWO (how about that?) RANDY SAVAGE shows up in an NWO black and white t-shirt but it's a swerve, as he knocks Giant out of the ring, then leaves. For four more months. WCW. Now Flair applies the figure four and wins Bischoff's job. Great way to end the year and the first genuinely feel good thing WCW has done in months. WCW guys (and Konnan??) come out to show support for Flair and celebrate with him in the ring - not just wrestlers but announcers and crew members as well. This would have served as an anti-climatic blowoff but would have at least been something to wrap up the NWO for good. But then there's next week at the Dome. But we'll talk about that next year. And with that, we say goodbye to 1998!

• 1 month later...

This really should have been the end of Starrcade along with Goldberg winning a title defense. I may just have to sneak this into my top 100 as I had a smile on my face thorughout and loved things like the Horseman coming to protect Flair, the random Savage appearance with Gorgeous George and the great celebration to close out the year. By far the best segment to end a year of viewing so far. (**)

• 3 weeks later...

Ric Flair vs Eric Bischoff - WCW Nitro 12/28/98 Battle for WCW Presidency

NOW WE GO TO SCHOOL!!! This is awesome badass fundamental wrestling that makes you smile. From the crowd going crazy for Flair to the Horsemen carrying Bischoff to the ring, just plain fun wrestling. Flair kicks Bischoff's ass from pillar to post and the crowd is rocking with a "Bischoff Sucks!" chant. The NWO comes out, but the Horsemen head them off at the pass. The Giant is here. He makes it to the ring, but it is RANDY SAVAGE~! WHAT THE FUCK! I don't remember this. He is in an NWO shirt, but low blows the Giant! AWESOME! How cool would a Savage/Flair team been after all the years of animosity. Hot damn! Flair applies the figure-4. Bischoff screams like a girl and Flair wins the Presidency! Tony tells the guys he is going to the ring to celebrate with Da Man, Flair. Fuck the haters, Tony was the voice of my childhood and he is the best! Great segment to end the year and the first feel good moment in WCW since July when Goldberg won the title. Fun, fun, fun.

• 2 years later...

No fuss and no muss--Bischoff gets in absolutely zero offense, WCW finally holds off the NWO...and y'know, I even liked Savage's presence even if it was ultimately pointless and Gorgeous George served as a distraction, because with their past history it showed how huge this was that *he* was helping Ric Flair. It was rough going getting through this Yearbook because of time issues, a general malaise over the direction of late-'90s wrestling, and wrestling-viewing time that I had being devoted to modern stuff more than in the past 15 years for me. But this might be the best Yearbook-closing segment of them all. They didn't go about it the 100% right way, but by God, things are finally looking up for WCW!

• 1 month later...

This is perfectly booked segment, to give WCW a decisive win over the nWo and end the year on a high note.

Flair gets another crack at Bischoff, after being denied his rightful revenge the night before. The Horsemen are present to stop nWo interference, and the three of them and Arn keep the nWo from saving Bischoff's hide. When they're getting too outnumbered, DDP and Konnan help even the odds. The Giant finally makes it into the ring, only for the Macho Man to take him out. Flair does the Figure Four and Bischoff holds on as long as he can, but eventually has to give up. He holds out a tad longer than most TV jobbers, but not nearly as long as anyone who faced Flair in a legit TV or PPV main event. The show ends with an in-ring celebration between Flair, the Horsemen, Dusty Rhodes, Tony Schiavone, Larry Zybyszko, and a host of others.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-12-28-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Eric Bischoff