Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #63 - Superbrawl I

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-63-superbrawl-i/

oz.png

Chad and Parv review Superbrawl I.

- [3:22] Wrestling Observer and PW Torch roundup: wacky new characters coming in, will Sid job?, the Bull Drop Inn, and Brian Pillman in a rat costume.

- [31:30] Review of Superbrawl I: where does Superbrawl rank in the WCW PPVs?, *squwwaakk* its Fantasia!, Dan Spiveys football career, the shocking debut of Oz, and some disagreements on the much-hyped Sting and Luger vs. The Steiners match.

- [2:16:19] End of show awards

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

SuperBrawl was among the first WCW videos released in the UK in 91/92, and has always had a fond place in my heart. I think it still holds up well, as of last viewing about 2 years ago. I agree with Parv that it sounds like the 2 hour version here was the best way to watch it.

And roll on the June Clash - it was loaded, but rushed as hell.

"I ain't nevuh theen nuthin' lahk dis, and I been ta two goat-ropin's and an all-night fair, Daddy. Dis is SupaBrawl, dis is St. Petuhsbuhg, we TAKIN' A LOOK AT OZ!"

That opening voiceover narration is possibly the most nonsensical exposition in the history of fiction. "A LONG TIME AGO, THERE WAS A WIZARD...BUT NOT THE WIZARD OF OZ. HIS NAME WAS THE GREAT WIZARD, AND HE RULED THE LAND OF OZ!" A great wizard who rules Oz, but NOT the Wizard of Oz. That clears that up, then.

Great show as usual guys. Here is some follow up info on Butch Reed I think you will appreciate. ESPN Classic now occasionally plays some of the old Global Wrestling Federation (GWF) programming. Guess who showed up on my TV last night? That's right, Hacksaw Butch Reed! The best part is, he was wearing a Starrcade 1991 (WCW/New Japan Supershow here in the US) T-shirt! The shirt had a very noticeable WCW logo on it, which led me to research when this GWF show took place. Apparently Reed had a run there in 1994 and even briefly held the GWF North American Title, the promotions top singles belt.

Thanks a lot for that Slick and welcome to the board! I think Reed is such a weird case. I can't see why no one picked him up in 94 if he was working again. Considering some of the guys who were signed to WWF and WCW then, he surely had some value. How awesome would he have been, for example, in the Nation of Domination. I guess he didn't stick with the rodeo business long then.

On a side-note, I've been to Tulsa and saw that weird blue whale thing there. :)

I haven't listened yet, but my guess is parv loves the tag.

I think the 5 minutes or so when I stumbling around talking about "context" and trying to justify my love the match might be my ropiest bit of audio in about 40 shows.

My feeling on Reed is that he was really made for the territories. He seemed like a guy who wanted to have the luxury to up and leave when he wanted to up and leave and that made him a bit less desirable for the bigger companies at that point, where he would have been ideal for a group that wanted to bring him in short term. He reminds me a bit of Condrey in that way. Wouldn't that have been a great team?

I haven't finished the show but I think it's your best one yet. The worse the material is you're watching the funnier you guys are. Parv had me rolling with the "Shower of Shit" comment then I cracked up with the El Gigante stuff......but when Parv imitated DDP I lost it. I was driving on a highway and seriously almost hit a car when I heard "GOOD GAWD!". I'm trying to copy that soundbite and make it my phone email alert, BTW!!

Chad busted me up with the Oz segment calling it the "Flair/Steamboat" of WrestleCrap! I had to stop the podcast because I couldn't safely drive.

I will resume the show tomorrow when I'm not behind the wheel. This podcast can be hazardous to your health.

Great job guys!!

• 4 weeks later...

Catching up on the show here and I figured I would comment. I think now that I have access to unedited PPVs through the WWE Network, I may redo some of my old recaps. Reading them now, some of them are just terrible. Looks like I need to rewatch Reed/Simmons for sure, lol. This review was written probably 2006 even though the post date says 2008, so I'm sure my opinion of the show as a whole would be much different today. At least, I would hope so.

Aside from that, as far as the Steiners/Sting & Luger match goes for getting ****1/2, the psychology in this match (at least the way I see it) is that they *do* have to make it a bombfest in order for Sting and Luger to have a chance against the Steiners, and vice versa. They're not going to go about this match the way they normally would because everyone here is perceived to be at the top of their game.

If you look at this match from a booking standpoint since neither team are heels, an extended 'face in peril' formula match would turn one side heel over the other, and you don't want that since that's not in the future plans. The most obvious booking choice you really have is to let both sides switch off having control and throwing bombs at each other. The crowd is so enthralled with all the action and all the moves they love seeing, that they're less likely to feel sympathy in the moment for the team receiving the bombs, and sympathy for one side over the other is not what you want here.

If you look at this match from a booking standpoint since neither team are heels, an extended 'face in peril' formula match would turn one side heel over the other, and you don't want that since that's not in the future plans

That is really good point.