Pro Wrestling Only

Who trained whom? [70s/80s]

JerryvonKramer

I would like to map out who came out of which dojos in the 70s and 80s. More recent stars are not the focus of this thread, so if you want to discuss their training, make another one for it. If the worker was not active until after the 1980s, he doesn't count for the purposes of this topic. Sean Waltman counts (pre-1990 pro debut), but Perry Saturn (1990 pro debut) does not.

This is just a starting point, in time I want to make this as complete as possible. Where wrestlers completed their training in more than one school, I've listed them as graduates of both.

Stu Hart (The Dungeon)

Abdullah the Butcher

Archie Gouldie

Bad News Allen

Billy Graham

Billy Jack Haynes

Bret Hart

Brian Pillman

Chris Benoit

Dan Kroffat

Davey Boy Smith

Greg Valentine

Hiroshi Hase

Jim Neidhart

Jos LeDuc

Jushin Thunder Liger

Owen Hart

NJPW Dojo (Karl Gotch / Antonio Inoki / Tatsumi Fujinami / Kotetsu Yamamoto/ Yoshiaki Fujiwara)

Akira Maeda

Black Cat

Chris Benoit

Fumihiro Niikura

George Takano (The Cobra)

Gran Hamada

Hiro Saito

Hirokazu Hata

Junji Hirata

Jushin Thunder Liger

Kazuo Yamazaki

Killer Khan

Kuniaki Kobayashi

Naoki Sano

Nobuhiko Takada

Norio Honaga

Riki Choshu

Ryuma Go

Shinichi Nakano

Shinji Sasazaki

Shinya Hashimoto

Shunji Kosugi

Shunji Nakano

Tatsutoshi Goto

Tiger Mask (Satoru Sayama)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Yoshiaki Yatsu

Dory and Terry Funk (Double Cross Ranch)

Genichiro Tenryu

Jumbo Tsuruta

Mitsuharu Misawa

Stan Hansen

Steve Keirn

Ted DiBiase

Hiro Matsuda (& Eddie Graham, Florida)

B. Brian Blair

Bob Orton Jr.

Fidel Sierra

Hercules Hernández

Hulk Hogan

Joe Malenko

Keiji Muto (The Great Muta)

Lex Luger

Man Mountain Kong

Mighty Inoue

Mike George

Mike Graham

Osamu Nishimura

Paul Orndorff

Ron Simmons

Scott Casey

Scott Hall

Steve Keirn

Boris Malenko ("The Professor")

Al Pérez

Barry Horowitz

Bill Eadie (Masked Superstar / Demolition Ax)

Bob Orton Jr.

Buddy Landel

Chris Champion

Dean Malenko

Fred Ottman (Tugboat)

Joe Malenko

Johnny B. Badd

Man Mountain Kong

Mark Starr

Mike Graham

Norman Smiley

Paul Diamond

Rusty Brooks

Sean Waltman

Verne Gange's Wrestling School (Verne Gagne / Brad Rheingans / Billy Robinson)

Baron Von Raschke

Bill Irwin

Blackjack Mulligan

Bob Backlund

Bob Brown

Brad Rheingans

Brian Knobbs

Buddy Rose

Butch Malone

Chris Taylor

Curt Hennig

Dennis Stamp

Dick the Bruiser

Gene Anderson,

George Eakin

Greg Gagne

Iron Sheik

Jerry Saggs

Jim Brunzell

Jimmy Valiant

Ken Patera

Lars Anderson

Ole Anderson

Ric Flair

Ricky Steamboat

Scott Norton

Sgt Slaughter

Tony Halme

Vader

Larry Sharpe

Balls Mahoney

Bam Bam Bigelow

Chris Candido

Kevin Von Erich

King Kong Bundy

Raven

Tony Atlas

Virgil

Giant Baba (AJPW Dojo)

Arashi

Atsushi Onita

Hiroshi Wajima

John Tenta

Jun Akiyama

Masanobu Fuchi

Motoshi Okuma

Samson Kutsuwada

Satoru Asako

Takashi Ishikawa

Toshiaki Kawada

Yoshihiro Takayama

Eddie Sharkey

Barry Darsow

Bob Backlund

Jesse Ventura

John Nord

Madusa

Road Warrior Hawk

Road Warrior Animal

Rick Rude

Rick Steiner

Tom Zenk

This is a start. Much more to come.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestlingdata.com has a good collection of trainers and trainees, though it of course has its own blind spots and caveats.

The only pre-'90s people who stand out as being trained by Kowalski are John Studd, SD Jones, and Misty Blue Simmes. Though there are probably others.

Stan Lane is notable for being the only wrestler trained by Ric Flair. (I guess David could say the same, but he doesn't count here. In more ways than one.)

The only pre-'90s people who stand out as being trained by Kowalski are John Studd, SD Jones, and Misty Blue Simmes. Though there are probably others.

Mike Shaw (Makhan Singh/Norman/Bastion Booger) is another who was trained by him. I initially thought he was a Stu Hart guy to add to the list, but apparently was Kowalski trained.

Don't forget Eddie Sharkey. He trained Rick Rude, the Road Warriors, Barry Darsow, Bob Backlund, Jesse Ventura, Madusa, Rick Steiner, Tom Zenk and John Nord among others (although some of them were in conjuction with Brad Rheingans). Maybe Rehingans should also be listed, he has guys like Vader and Bradshaw as trainees.

Thanks for help and suggestions all.

Denucci's guys are too late really.

Kotetsu Yamamoto trained many of those New Japan wrestlers.

Added to trainer list.

You can add Steamboat, Patera, Slaughter and Chris Taylor to the Verne Gagne camp. Jerry Sags and Brian Knobbs also went there, but were trained by Brad Rheingans.

Added, I'll add Rheingans as a trainer for Verne's school. And Billy Robinson.

If you are including Liger for Stu Hart, you can add Hiroshi Hase for him too.

Added.

Don't forget Eddie Sharkey. He trained Rick Rude, the Road Warriors, Barry Darsow, Bob Backlund, Jesse Ventura, Madusa, Rick Steiner, Tom Zenk and John Nord among others (although some of them were in conjuction with Brad Rheingans). Maybe Rehingans should also be listed, he has guys like Vader and Bradshaw as trainees.

Excellent call. I knew I was forgetting at least one big one. Brad R is being added to Verne's school.

Stu did not train Abby, Bad News, Davey Boy, Hase or Liger.

The Japanese boys all worked Stampede for seasoning. Liger was already a Junior star before coming to North America. Abby was trained by Burt Ruby & Gino Brito. Bad News was trained in NJPW dojo.

Davey Boy was trained in England and wrestled for years before coming to NA.

Funks did not train Tenryu or Misawa. They were both Japanese young boys. In fact every Japanese boy on the list were trained in a Japanese dojo except Jumbo Tsuruta due to a misunderstanding. When he arrived the Funks assumed he was trained so booked him in a match days after arriving. So he has his 1st match with little to no training.

Kevin Von Erich was trained by Paul Perschmann (Buddy Rose) and had his first match with him.

Abby definitely shouldn't count as Dungeon trained. He started in the late 50's in Montreal and I don't believe he went to Stampede before the late 60's/early 70's

Why wouldn't you include the Denucci guys? Foley and Douglas trained and debuted in the early 80's. If you're counting Waltman for Boris Malenko (and he was actually trained by Joe mostly I believe).....

Add Manny Fernandez to the Funks

You should add Jose Lothario: Gino Hernandez, Tully Blanchard, Shawn Michaels OTTH, and I'm sure a number of other guy who started in Southwest

Did Stu actually train anybody besides maybe his kids? I always thought that was a kayfabe thing. For example, guys that maybe already had some experience went up there and Stu stretched them. Stretched = training. I was never under the impression that he was teaching guys how to bump or anything like that.

Did Stu actually train anybody besides maybe his kids? I always thought that was a kayfabe thing. For example, guys that maybe already had some experience went up there and Stu stretched them. Stretched = training. I was never under the impression that he was teaching guys how to bump or anything like that.

Stu didn't even train a lot of his kids how to work. Frank Butcher trained Bruce (and some other guys in the territory at the time like Rick Martel), Hito and Sakurada trained Bret, and I think Owen's formal training came from some of his older brothers. Not sure about Keith.