Pro Wrestling Only

Titans Xtra

Link to whole series: Titans Xtra

https://soundcloud.com/jerryvonkramer/titans-xtra-the-old-curiosity-shop

WP_000822.jpg

Parv, Kelly and the one and only Mr. Dylan Hales trawl through some of the obscure backwaters of wrestling history. They flick through some newsletters from the 1970s, including Wrestling Nostalgia, Spotlight on Wrestling, The Encyclopedia of Pro Wrestling Vol. 1, and Book of the Year 1963. Topics include: Dr Jerry Graham; Verne Gange's place in wrestling history; old and forgotten outlaw promotions; Quasimodo: the wrestler!; hookers, barnstormers and side-show acts; how Hard Boiled Haggerty invested his money; race relations in Florida in the 1960s; and loads more random obscurity of historical interest.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titans Xtra: 1981 Roster Analysis Part 1 - St. Louis, Mid-Atlantic, Florida, Georgia

https://soundcloud.com/jerryvonkramer/titans-xtra-1981-roster-analysis-part-1

81p1.jpg

In the first of a series of shows on this theme, Parv, Kelly and Dylan analyse and rate the rosters of every major wrestling promotion from 1981. They start with the core NWA promotions, JCP (Mid-Atlantic), GCW (Georgia), and CWF (Florida), and its flagship city, St. Louis.

Not unless you are magic. I'm assuming you listened to the first one where we look through the newsletters. A second show has been posted about 1981 rosters. For Titans Xtra, we're not having separate threads for each show. I wanted to keep down on "clutter".

Really enjoyed this Parv. Any chance you could get the boys together again for 1982-85 or so?

Thanks mate. Next few shows are all going to be 1981, there are a lot more companies to get through and we're trying to leave no stone unturned. I'd be interested to know if you agree with our ratings.

Incidentally, since recording, I found out a few things we didn't mention:

- Ole Anderson was booking Crockett for most of 81, while Crockett himself was NWA President. I believe Ole would go back to GCW and Dory Funk Jr took over in Mid-Atlantic in 82.

- Speaking of Dory, he was booking CWF at this time, not Dusty. This partly accounts for Terry being there and partly for Dory being top heel during the summer and for the Briscos sticking around. I believe Dusty replaced Dory when he went to Crockett and then replaced him again in 83 for JCP when the Funks went back to Japan.

- Jim Barnett went through three bookers in 81: Robert Fuller, Buck Robley and eventually Ole who at one point was booking BOTH GCW and JCP!

I may be doing a timeline for who booked where and when soon.

Nice and enjoyable hour hearing you guys talk about the 1981 rosters. As you guys discussed, the toughest part about doing this is trying not to project future success or failure on your valuing of the wrestlers in 1981.

I think Dylan mentioned that you guys didn't have a Southeastern roster. If you're using wrestlingdata, it's lumped in with Continental (CCW) in the promotion results history. If you look at the cards per year they are identified as SECW, but if you're trying to find the stats via the promotions list, you'll only see CCW on the list.

Looking forward to the other parts.

Liked the 81 promotion idea. When the talk was about how do you rate young wrestlers from before their prime. An example was used was Bobby Eaton. For me it depends on the wrestler if it was a wrestler who developed into a good worker he means more to me than a guy who doesn't develope into a good worker. So the guy who is a good worker might have a good under card match. So I don't rate him as high as what he will become, but will rate him that he could have a good match.

Titans Xtra - 1981 Roster Analysis Part 2: Memphis, Texas, Portland, Central States

https://soundcloud.com/jerryvonkramer/titans-xtra-1981-roster-analysis-part-2

81p2.jpg

Parv, Kelly and Dylan rate the rosters of the other NWA promotions that were active in the USA at that time: CWA (Memphis), WCCW (Texas), PNW (Portland), and CSW (Central States).