Dory Funk Jr The Funks AJPW

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 alexoblivion

alexoblivion
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

Watched that Dory and Murdoch vs Sakaguchi and Yoshimura tag a few days ago. While each guy had their moments, thought Dory was the best guy in that match. Murdoch and Funk made a good team with their quick tags and cheap shots. That vk account with all that JWA has some good stuff.

#42 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk vs. Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen (12/08/84)

Meltzer gave this five stars back in the day, the DVDR committee left it off the 80s AJPW set. So this should be interesting at least. I've thought for some years now that Brody brings out a different side of Dory, so let's see if he does here.

Hansen and Dory start out, but Hansen is more interested in trying to deck Terry on the apron. Dory is spirited though and hits his elbow smash. Headlock by Hansen into a quick tag to Brody. Bodyslam by him. Headlock takeover. Brody with a headlock, up to a vertical base. Dory is FIP here. Hansen in with a huge drop kick. Knee drop. Good pace so far. Bodyslam by Hansen. Brody in with another big slam. Headlock. Up to a vertical base again. Dory manages to tag out. Terry in with some fire now. Snap mare. Dropkick. Another snapmare. Misses an elbow drop. Hansen in. This has been quite frantic so far.

Hansen goes after Terry outside. Kicks him in the gut inside now. Turnbuckle smash. Terry is noodle legged. Brody in. Dory in. European uppercuts. Hansen in. Double backdrop. Dory goes to work on Hansen now. Goes for a slam. Blocked, but Dory gets it anyway. Cover gets 1. Uppercuts. Slugfest back and forth now. Snap mare by Hansen and a big chinlock, Terry breaks. 8 minutes in and barely a pause for breath.

Brody in. Some doubleteaming on Dory. Backbreaker by Brody and he holds him over his knee for Hansen to nail. Terry in to break. Hansen misses a kick, Dory snaps off a vertical suplex. Cover get two. Terry in. Double forearm smash by the Funks. High back drop by Hansen on Terry sends him over to the outside. Dory goes over to check on him. Nothing like a bit of brotherly love.

10 minutes in. A lot of action so far. Hansen right on top of Terry. Smashes him into the announce table. Rolls him back in. Kneedrops to the back of the neck. Nasty. Double suplex by Hansen and Brody. Piledriver by Brody?? Terry tries to kick his way out, but no, he hits it. Big reverse knifeedge by Hansen, sends Terry over like a chopped tree. Dory in with elbows. Brody in eats a snap mare. Dory goes for a suplex, no, Brody tries to reverse, no, Dory hits it! Hansen in. Bodyslam. Elbow drop. Stomp from second rope. Brody up to the top. Double axehandle from him. Standing powerslam!

15 minutes gone, no let up in action. Forearm smashes from Hansen. Abdominal stretch. Terry tries to come in the ring. Ref stops him. Gutwrench suplex out of the abdominal stretch by Hansen -- fucking COOL spot! Splash by Brody. Dory looks exasperated. Suplex by Brody. Hansen in for more doubleteaming. Elbow smash. Dory eats the turnbuckle. Brody in for a reverse knife edge. Headlock, but Dory hits a back suplex! Tag to Terry! All four men brawling now. Brody tumbles to outside. Uppercuts by Dory on Hansen who irsh whips him to the outside. Terry dumped by Hansen too. The ref (Joe) takes a tuble here too so he doesn't witness the next few mins. Brody goes after Dory and puts him over the announce table. Hansen grabs a table. Holy shit! They nail Dory who is on the announce table with this table three or four times. Pretty hardcore for All Japan in 1984!

Terry makes his way over. Dory is completely fucked, and even registers the pain on his poker face. They roll him back in. Terry slams Brody on the table. Hansen and Brody have Dory isolated now. Elbow drop by Hansen. Brody cuts Terry off and sends him back outside. Ref is barely stirring. Dory is still seemingly out in the middle of the ring as Brody tries to drag the ref in. Hansen is choking Dory (or something). Hansen covers as Brody tries to make the ref count. Terry's back in though and he has a chain. He HEADBUTTS the ref!! And he lays him out. Terry with the chain now whips and chokes Hansen and Brody. He's a wildman. One of the red shirted dudes comes in to try to break this up, but Terry nails him. Snapmare with the chain on Hansen. Terry after Brody. Dory still out of it holding his head and back. Hansen and Brody leave through the crowd but Terry goes after them. Dory still struggling in the ring. Terry is on the floor near the entrance to the locker room. Dory's back looks seriously injured as he's struggling to get up. Terry waves the chain at young boys and fans as Dory gets treatment in the ring. Terry has the chain still. Giant Baba comes out to check on Dory who seems like he's broken his back.

This was fucking wild. Really enjoyed it. It's not five stars, but completely don't understand this being left off the All Japan set. I'm sure the committee have their reasons, but I completely disagree with them and would recommend anyone to dig up this classic encounter. It goes 20 minutes but is worked like a ten minute sprint. All four guys full of energy. A lot of high spots, with some epic struggles over suplexes. The Hansen and Terry exchanges are great. Dory plays FIP for the most part and the attack on him for the injury angle by Hansen and Brody is brutal. And Dory was fired up, reminiscent of how he was vs. Sheik and Abby or Brody in the singles matches. I also didn't think Brody did much to bring things down, he sold for The Funks, he hit his spots, he didn't lie around in holds AT ALL. This was really good, and would have been top 20 on my AJ Ballot if I'd have had a chance to vote on it. Would be interested to know how others -- whether you submitted a ballott or not -- would go on this one.

****1/2

#43 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10258 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

Parv put over the pace in his description and this match does have a frantic feeling but while that added to the wild nature of his enjoyment for the first ten minutes, it slogged it down for me where the first 12-13 minutes of this match were essentially meaningless and full of your turn, my turn pockets of offense. I was especially excited with the opening stanza and Terry and Hansen going after one another but it resulted in a lot of rope running and shots. This was interesting the first couple of times but with ten minutes of rehash, I was ready to get to the meat of the match. Beyond that, Brody did some things well here with the piledriver and the standing powerslam. However, he still had by far the weakest strikes of the bunch and his bumping was completely obnoxious. This may seem hypocrytical as I am a Taue guy, but the way he went over on every snapmare really made me take notice and him and Terry have a sequence 6 minutes in that I still don't understand where it looks like Terry hits an elbow drop but Brody no sells it and they just move on. The back work on Dory was well done and focused. Hansen overall in this match was very effective to me. Terry did some of his usual All Japan emoting tactics but they serve their purpose and work within the framework of the match overall. The finish was straight shit. Parv seems to like these wild out of control finishes involving the Funks as evidenced by the Abby/Shiek series. Certainly the first half of the decade with All Japan was riddled with shitty countout finishes that may not have been as violent as what we saw here. All of that being said, Terry is a fucking idiot that needs to keep his emotions in check when an entire tournament is on the line. From a META perspective, it was time to give a decisive finish in this series. They had been wrestling each other for years and this made it seem like an ending wasn't in sight. It really didn't sit well with me. Overall, I did enjoy the match but think the opening stanza especially is open to critique. If you appreciate action then I can see the gratitude from it but there wasn't any substance or revolving narrative and it prevented the match from reaching great status. ***1/2

#44 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk vs. Riki Choshu and Yoshiaki Yatsu (08/31/86)

No play by play on this. I watched it eating my dinner. Really fun and enjoyable to see two of my favourite teams go at it. Terry seemed to be heeling it up here, am I right in thinking Funks were heel in 86?

There were some amusing Choshu - Terry interactions here, especially with Terry chanting "CHOSHU" at him. Dory mostly paired off with Yatsu and hit some of his signature offense including the butterfly suplex and a back suplex. Cool little transition into working his leg at one point when he hit a Shinbreaker and they went to work on the leg setting up the spinning toe hold. But then the match peters out with a disappointing count out finish.

I guess no one was going to be eating a pin here, it was fun for what it was.

#45 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1554 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

but the way he went over on every snapmare really made me take notice and him and Terry have a sequence 6 minutes in that I still don't understand where it looks like Terry hits an elbow drop but Brody no sells it and they just move on. 

Was this after the Brody dropkick when Bruiser was on offense? It looked like Terry was taking his drunk punches to a different level, he got up and essentially flopped into a back bump for no reason.

#46 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1554 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

Parv and Chad both put over the pace and I, somewhat surprising to myself, lean more towards Chad on this one. Keeping in mind I have no context for anything surrounding this match:

Things I liked -

- Brody and Hansen's frequent tags and tag-team offense. Hansen is just a monster in this match. These guys pretty much guzzled the Funks though.

- Dory's hope spots and token offense. Best worked with Hansen. I loved that he got both guys up for suplexs on the third try. He took a beating in this match too.

- The table spots and working the injury on Dory.

- After having to watch his brother get his ass kicked and seeing neither really get any offense in on the heels, I don't blame Terry for grabbing the chain and wreaking havoc. Enough was enough.

Things I didn't like:

- Terry punch drunk selling 2 minutes into the match.

- Aforementioned heel guzzling. A lot of repetition there too.

***3/4

#47 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:41 AM

Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk vs. Riki Choshu and Yoshiaki Yatsu (08/31/86)
No play by play on this. I watched it eating my dinner. Really fun and enjoyable to see two of my favourite teams go at it. Terry seemed to be heeling it up here, am I right in thinking Funks were heel in 86?
There were some amusing Choshu - Terry interactions here, especially with Terry chanting "CHOSHU" at him. Dory mostly paired off with Yatsu and hit some of his signature offense including the butterfly suplex and a back suplex. Cool little transition into working his leg at one point when he hit a Shinbreaker and they went to work on the leg setting up the spinning toe hold. But then the match peters out with a disappointing count out finish.
I guess no one was going to be eating a pin here, it was fun for what it was.

Weirdly Funk mentions this match in his book too, in passing, claims that Choshu went into business for himself in this match and wouldn't give him anything and started shooting.

#48 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk vs. Stan Hansen and Ted DiBiase (08/31/85)

Dory sporting a beard here. Terry is too. This must have been right before Terry went to WWF. DiBiase doesn't have a beard. Nonetheless, this is is some West Texas reunion shit right here. Ted does a lot of trash talking at his old trainers. Hansen's moustache seems a bit thin.

Dory and Hansen to start. Criss cross. Dory grabs the ropes. Wily. Elbow and collar tie up. Shoulder berg, no one giving. Headlock by Hansen. Ted in. Double elbow smash. Snapmare. Knee drop. From face lock. Terry in. Lock up with Ted. Backdrop by Ted. Terry bails. Terry vs. Hansen now. Dumps Terry outside for Ted to get in some shots. Choking on bottom rope. Piledriver. Ted in. Elbow smash. Fist drop. Two count. Some nice stiff reverse knife edges from Ted now and a stomp. Sleeper by Ted. Terry fading but has one arm up. Forces his way out but is so dazed he goes to Hansen for a tag who kicks him in the face, ha ha. Tags in and out now working over Terry. Double backdrop. Terry eventually hits a back suplex on Ted and makes it over for the hot tag.

Forearm smash by Dory on Ted. But Ted gets a running knee in and tags in Hansen who hits a drop kick. Double forearm smash. Dory manages to hit his butterfly suplex on Ted though. Funks hit a double forearm smash now. Piledriver by Terry. Hansen saves the cover. Neck breaker by Terry. Texas jabs now. Spinning toehold! Hansen in with the save again. Headbutt by Terry. Suplex by Hansen on Terry. Some double teaming on Terry now. Dory in. Awesome European uppercut. Even more awesome scoop powerslam by Ted. Really good sequence of action here. Terry sneaks in with s drop kick. Hansen posts Dory. All four men outside now, I think I know where this is going. Oh no, back in. Double shoulder barge on Dory. Ted runs to the ropes but Dory dumps him on the mat. Goes for ... Texas Cloverleaf!! See that Malenko! Terry grabs Hansen. But he struggles free. Ted looks like he's about to tap any minute. Lariatooooo! Bell goes without a cover. What's happened here?

Hansen has his rope and cowbell, nails Dory with it. He gives it to Ted who pauses for a moment and Hansen is like "do it!!" Ted nails his old mentor with the cowbell. Hansen is screaming "DO IT! DO IT!" Ted is smashing this cowbell into Dory's head over and over. Dory is busted open. Terry is in the crowd throwing chairs at the ring. Hansen has a chair and is massacring young boys. Terry has grabbed a row of four chairs which are connected together. Ted flattens Dory with one last chair shot before bailing. Dory completely covered in blood.

Holy shit, that is not what I saw coming. I am not sure what the ref's decision was, but I thought this was headed for a predictable double count out only for Hansen and Ted to go full blown heel beatdown. I also liked the drama of Ted hesitating to nail Dory and Hansen like a sadisitic bastard commanding him to do it. I don't know if the Japanese knew the history between DiBiase and the Funks. But I do, and it really added to that post-match.

As for the match itself, I really enjoyed it. I thought the early FIP section on Terry was a bit bland, but things picked up when Ted was heel in peril, and Funks were on offense. All Japan was just so loaded with quality in the 80s, I'm not even going to complain about this not being on the 80s set. But it's another Funks match that would have made my top 50.

#49 Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinkin Coors, Shootin Jack, and Good Ol' Fashion RASSLIN

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

JVK. Your Love of Jr. is incredible. You have made a tremendous effort here. Been fun reading it.

You outta be an honorary Funk Brother. Dory Funk Jr., Terry Funk, and Jerry Von Funk. Jesse Barr can GTFO.

#50 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

Dory Funk Jr vs. Steve Keirn (05/08/81)

Dory was Floria Heavyweight Champ around this point. Incidentally in 81 he was also the first NWA International Champions in All Japan after they brought that belt back. This would have been between the AJPW tours. Dory spent most of 81 either in All Japan or Florida. Of course, Solie on commentary and he says Keirn is in the condition of his life. Shame the same can't be said of his hair! This is quite cool, don't get to see studio wrestling from Florida very often.

Dory starts off with a headlock. Hiptoss by Keirn, float over, arm bar. Dory reverses it. Keirn tries to counter the armbar with a Russian legsweep, blocked, he hits an arm drag instead. Criss-cross and Kerin gets Dory in a sleeper. Suplex by Keirn. This is the first match I've seen for Dory to be really dominated like this, he's giving Keirn a lot here. Piledriver! Only two. Dory dumps Keirn out of the ring to break the momentum. Now he seems to knock him out on the turnbuckle post. Spinning toehold! Keirn is KO'd here. But Dory keeps going another spinning toehold. Another one! He's not giving up. He pushes the ref aside too! Mike Graham is here now to ward Dory off and he leaves.

But no!! Dory sneaks back around and attacks Graham! Punches him. Dumps him. OOHHHHH he stiffs the ref in the face!! Punched him right out! And now he's trying to attack Keirn again. Graham comes back but Dory nails him. Kneedrop from the top rope! Uppercut on Graham. Stomps on Keirn. He grabs the ref again and slaps him. And again. PILEDRIVER ON THE REF! Holy shit! He's gone nuts. Another person hits the ring and he dumps them. Spinning toehold on Graham! Dory is wild. Bodyslam on Graham and we go to a break.

**1/2

Too short really to get more, but Keirn looked good for the brief-running length and we get to see more Psycho Dory as he completely destroys three men. The attacks on the ref are so random that I found them really funny. This was interesting because it was Dory working as an out and out heel and presumably a top heel anchor for the promotion around this time; he worked differently. He bumped around a bit more, he gave more to Keirn, and was willing to show ass as he was booked to do. Very interesting to see the contrast between his work here, and how he was working in All Japan as a top babyface.

I really want to see more of Steve Keirn from this time period. He looked really good working the more traditional technical babyface style of the time period when he's obviously more famous for his ass kicking brawling days with the Fabs.

The stuff afterwards with Dory going crazy and being an unstoppable killer, taking out like 4 guys, was also very different from what I've usually seen out of Dory Funk Jr.

#51 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:47 AM

goc have you seen Funks vs. Sheik / Abby '78? That is another occassion where Dory goes psycho.

#52 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

The Dory Funk Jr High Spots Shoot.

Dory makes it clear quite early that his memory is hazy on early Amarillo stuff but is crystal clear on his NWA title run. It's very obvious that he's still super proud of it. He claims he has had over 7,000 matches but can only remember specific dates of his world title run because it meant so much to him. Had three months of special intensive training in preparation to be champ.

He says he thought he had a great match with Kiniski for the switch. Says Kiniski helped him through a knee injury, and he likes him.Whenever there's a new champion, promoters are worried about how he'd draw. Says Eddie Graham, his father, and Jim Crockett Sr made sure that Dory was booked in loaded cards when he first became champ to ensure they were all good gates. Crockett Sr out Joe Luis in a boxing match in his first defense in Mid Atlantic. So it gave the appearance of him being a sellout wherever he went, so then he became a sellout wherever he went. Clever.

He was booked against heels initially, until he worked an hour against Rick Hunter ("the Gladiator") that did well, so Eddie got the idea to program him with Jack Brisco.

The world title meant credibility and Dory saw his job as being primarily to give the title that credibility. He runs through most of the champions ever from Eddie Strangler Lewis through Thesz, O'Connor and so on.

He says the world title schedule was 26 days out of 30 a month, wrestling a different opponent in a different place every night.

First trip to Japan in 69. Met him once in press conference, then in the ring, spoke no Japanese. They went an hour. They were a little concerned about Inoki shooting. Same with Johnny Valentine. Dory thought Inoki was a great performer, and he proved that that night, a year later in 1970. They were meant to have a match in 71, and word got out that Inoki was going to shoot. Inoki no showed. Instead he had a great match with Sakaguchi. THAT night Inoki started New Japan.

Dory Sr. Helped Baba with the application to join the NWA and booked the first tour of American talent for him. He said for the next thirty years there wasn't a tour of All Japan that didn't have Funk-booked talent on it. He gave Johnny Ace his first tour. He gave Stan Hansen his first tour. He trained Jumbo Tsuruta. So Dory stayed loyal to All Japan because of the association between Baba and his father.

Title defences:

Lord Alfred Hayes apparently had his shoulders down for three in Amarillo, and Dory has a big smile and kayfabes that he best Lord Al and he'd beat him today! Dory I have to say is a likable character.

Johnny Valentine. Tough guy, great worker. Known shooter. Draw in Charlotte, Texas and St. Louis. Box office wherever he went. No gimmicks. Did it by wrestling alone. He was also the stiffest of all wrestler as well as Wahoo. He was prepared to get chopped hard for a bigger payday.

Lonnie Maine in Portland, where he was a big attraction and Don Owen was the best pay off man in the business. 10% meant 10%. He was the straightest when it came to the world champ. Although Fritz, Sam Muchnick and Paul Boesch were all great payoff guys too.

He rattles off some more guys he defended against. Too many to type out. He seems to remember ALL of them. Says that Calgary drew very well. He had great matches with Billy Robinson there who was a terrific technical wrestler from whom he learned a lot. He said he learned elements of the British style from him and tried to incorporate it into his own style. You can see that.

Talks about Jack Brisco now. Interviewer says that their most famous match was from St. Louis in 1971. Dory disagrees and says Bayfront 1972. They once went 90 minutes in Jacksonville and sold out six weeks later. He says some of their Japanese matches were good too.

Why did Race get the title? He was on the cattle ranch with his father driving a pickup truck, and ran over a six foot embankment into the ice. Separated his shoulder, facial and head lacerations. Says it's the only match he missed in his career. He means the match with Brisco in Houston. He was being pressured by Fritz and Sam Muchnick and probably came back too soon from the injury. Dropped the title to Race in Kansas. He says it worked out well because Brisco had never beaten Dory for the title, so it made an ideal rematch scenario. He doesn't understand why Jack would complain about that.

After he lost the title he was back in Amarillo because he father and brother had been running it for four years and saw Dory coming back as a chance to go on vacation.

Loop
Thursday - Amarillo
Friday - Abilene
Saturday - a spot show in Hereford or Layfield, sometimes Colorado
Sunday - Albuquerque
Monday - El Paso
Tuesday - Odell
Wednesday - Lubbock

And then it starts all over again.

TV show happened in Saturday as well. Sometimes they did a double shot on Sundays. They lived wrestling.

More Brisco talk. Said he thought he was technically phenomenonal. Mentions that Brisco was one of the first to transition from Amateur to pro. Mentions here that Kurt Angle is another trainee of his. Says that Angle's work is a lot like Brisco's. Jack could do any move in wrestling. Dory thinks he threw the best ad drag on the business to this day. Great drop kick. Great fire man's carry takeover.

Mentions a match he had with Giant Baba now that went 58 minutes, says its famous in Japan. I can't find any record of this.

He says he doesn't really know where ole's comment that he was a great worker but not a great booker came from because he never worked for ole. Or where he got the idea. Says he was the booker for for a very successful Amarillo promotion for many years, Japan for many years, Florida for many years, and North Carolina. So he feels like he's a pretty good booker as well as a great wrestler. So take that Ole!

Dory gets into some ring psychology now where he says that in world title matches where the stakes are so high every little thing counts. Who has the first take down. Who gets on an arm lock first. Who gets the first cover. Is it a 1 count or a 2 count. Dory said he loved working like that.

Go through some territories now. LA: had a great match with Chavo Gurrero. Talk about Barry Windham and Black Jack Mulligan a bit now.

That's the end of part one. Change discs.

Talk about Charlie Cook in Florida now, he got the feud over when he slapped him in the face. They needed Cook to draw because Dusty had just left and all the angles were over.

Mentions Hulk Hogan came to him around that time wanting to work in Florida.

"How important was charisma during your reign as champion?" Oooooh a hard hitting question from this high spots interviewer.

Dory said he shot for credibility. He said many of his opponents were the charismatic side of it, and he was the credibility side.

Georgia - he wrestled Paul De Marco, Mr Wrestling II Johnny Walker, Bob Armstrong.

Detroit - 10-minute matches with The Sheik. They went to Joe Luis Arena and got a decent gate. He has mixed emotions about The Sheik. He was box office in Amarillo. And treated him and Terry very well in Detroit. So when him and Terry went there late 70s working for virtually nothing, it really was to help him out. After the Joe Luis Arena show, his son came running in saying all the money had been stolen. Dory said it didn't matter, he would have worked for him after that and probably did. In terms of greatest heels, he'd place him alongside Fritz and Mike DiBiase. As a draw and consistent sell out probably better than those. Fritz could draw a sell out but you couldn't run him three weeks through the territory and sellout every place with him. With sheik you could. He could sell out anywhere in the world.

Bobo Brazil, he had a match with him in Columbus, Georgia. The only time they ever wrestled that once.

Mid-Atlantic. First time he ever met Jim Crockett Sr, he said to him "remember you're a world champion and not a recruiter for your father in Texas" ha ha.

He said he once had a sell out in Greensboro in a six man with him, Terry and dory Sr but he can't recall the opponents. I'll look that up in a bit.

Says that later, when he was booking for Jim Crockett Jr and he was ready to quit the NWA over the title switch to Race. Dory says he talked him round and said thre was more money to be drawn with Flair in the chase. And the led to Starrcade. Dory says that after that Crockett made quite a gutsy move in using Flair exclusively.

St. Louis - Sam Muchnick was more strict than any other promoter for wrestler. Would tell his refs to legit DQ if anyone broke the rules.

Houston - like a carbon copy of St. Louis. There was friction between Houston, Dallas and San Antonio because different stars were over in each place.

Biggest crowd he ever wrestled in front of? He travelled to Nigeria. Eddie Einhorn ran against the NWA with bulldog Brower, Mighty Igor, and Ernie Ladd. He got his TV across the country by packaging it with the Chicago White Sox. He also got it to Africa. Through Carlos Colon they travelled to Lagos, Nigeria. Power Mike was the promoter, crowd was 80,000. He said they'd all snuck in. Was a good payday but not as great as he thought it would be.

WWF run - George Scott gave him the call. He said he never even met Bruno until 1983, because NWA and WWF were so separated. He left after nine months for an obligation with All Japan. He liked the pay offs.

Tag partners who weren't Terry: liked working with Ricky Romero. Had great timing.

WWC: can recall match with road warriors exactly. Describes it pretty well. Says Terry pissed off the fans and the roadies so much someone threw something and it hit him and Dory had to work the whole match alone. He then puts over his brother huge as a great worker. Also talks about the match vs. Carlos Colon where Marti Funk worked. Says his wife got tremendous heat.

Brody - liked him, nice guy, would seldom job. Doesn't really have much to add on death.

Sheik / Abby feud - one of the most violent matches he was ever in. Bloody. The intensity of that match is more than any other match he's been in of that type. He says of that type because there was one with Brisco one time when the fans came to the ring. But the Sheik / Abby match is one of the hottest he's ever been in (they are talking the 1977 one)

Match with Terry in 81: finals of a tournament for the international title. Says he was a bit frustrated in the ring because he felt like he was wrestling himself, they both know the same holds.

Baba: brilliant man and great handler of talent. He learned from baba, not just his psychology but his wrestling skills. Great wrestler.

Jumbo: learned quicker from him than anyone else that he's ever trained. Great worker.

Hansen: reason for the jump from New Japan was because Abdullah jumped the other way. They set it up for it to be overnight.

DiBiase: super athlete

Had a match with Dan Severn in 1995. Said he was a great wrestler but not a box office draw. They did a worked shoot.

Thesz: great wrestler. Have credibility to NWA championship before he got there.

Flair: flamboyant. What you see is what you get.

Dusty: charismatic. Drew a lot for Eddie Graham.

Mike DiBiase: good friend of his father. Tough guy. Out of the university of wrestling.

Whipper Billy Watson - got give the best bump in wrestling, but he didn't take a lot of them.

Andre - super friend of his. Travelled together. Wanted people to know that he was a human being. Made them watch the Princess Bride a lot.

Bruno - would have loved to wrestle him but both NWA and WWF were strong so it took away the need to have the match.

Dick Slater - good friend.

There is about thirty mins left, but I'll have to come back to it.

#53 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:30 AM

I am inclined to agree with Dory's assessment of himself as a booker. Everyone associates Florida with Dusty Rhodes vs. Kevin Sullivan but I have really liked the bits and pieces I have seen of 1980-1982 Florida which I am pretty sure was all booked by Dory. The match between El Gran Apollo & Ciclon Negro vs. Dory Funk Jr. & David Von Erich has one of my favorite angles ever actually.

#54 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

The Dory Funk Jr High Spots Shoot.

"How important was charisma during your reign as champion?" Oooooh a hard hitting question from this high spots interviewer.

Dory said he shot for credibility. He said many of his opponents were the charismatic side of it, and he was the credibility side.

Reliving a lot of the WWF stuff from Backlund's era alongside you guys on Titans, I wonder if this was the same philosophy Vince Sr. had in mind for Bob's reign. Say what you will about how plain & bland Backlund was on the personality scale... his challengers were almost always these larger than life creations. They were the kind of characters that could leap off the screen & looked like comic book villains come to life. Snuka and Slaughter especially stand out to me as being a little bit ahead of their time.

I don't mean to derail or redirect your thread here, Parv. That line just caught my attention, and that's what instantly sprang to mind first. I've never thought about seeking out a Dory Jr. shoot before, but I might scope this one out if I get the time.

#55 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

Delete. Double post.

#56 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, I've said it before in this thread and on Titans that even though Vince Sr said he was shooting for a Jack Brisco, what he got in Bob was more like Dory, especially in terms of how they worked. Which is on top and controlling a lot, whereas Brisco worked from underneath.

The Dory / Bob comparison is not unfounded. The main difference is that Dory worked more heelish during his run as champ, so his opponents were charismatic territorial aces, whereas Bob was facing charismatic travelling heels.

I've said before that I think Dory smokes Backlund in terms of GWE and as a worker, and I stand by that, but Backlund was definitely a guy in his mould and the closest thing we have to a true heir to Dory. Brisco's heirs were Martel and Steamboat.

#57 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

Last thirty-five mins or so of Dory shoot. They play the random name game. Slater, Murdoch.

What's he doing now with the Funking Conservatory. Says he has two guys nearing prime, Adam Windsor from England. Technically a great wrestler and works as his booker and video editor. Great office guy, but also a great worker.

Shills it a bit, but mentions it takes years of dedication to make it beyond indies.

Talks about his website, Marti got it built for a couple of thousand dollars. Jesus, it looks like shit! You got ripped Dory. Like the worst mid-90s geosites mypage ever.

He thanks the fans and it looks like they are wrapping up. This seems like it was recorded in 2004.

And that's it. What's the last 25 mins then? Oh Funks All Japan music. But what's the match?

If I had to guess this is the Abby / Sheik 77 match. Yip, sure enough it is.

#58 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

Dory Funk Jr and Terry Funk vs. Mil Mascaras and Jose Lothario (1/7/79)

Going in this has a strong potential to suck almost solely because of the presence of Mil Mascaras who is a human snooze fest that can bring any match down on his own. Hoping this isn't the case here.

First fall was quite dull as Mil and Jose work over Terry in an extended heel in peril sequence that consists mainly of a headlock by Lothario. This was there to eat up time. Things pick up when Dory gets the tag and nails Lothario with about six forearms.

Second fall continues in better vein as Lothario is face in peril and the Funks are always good game for a heat sequence. Lothario' comeback on Dory is a highlight as is his sweet Russian leg sweep. Very rare for Dory to eat a pinfall!

Third fall and we get a mini FIP sequence featuring Mil but Lothario still works the lion's portion. Terry works the Texas jabs. Jose has some sweet punches. This punch exchange has been sweet. Dory comes in and eats some Lothario punches too and sells them pretty well. Bit of flash from Mascaras here. Dumps him for a piledriver outside. This looks like a count out. Oh no. Piledriver in the ring by Dory. Two! Double teaming by the Funks. Mil reverses a sunset flip to get the three on Terry, wow. You don't see the Funks losing clean like hardly ever!!!

I enjoyed this. It took a while to get going, about ten minutes, but after Dory tagged in to the finishing stretch it was real solid. Punch exchanges by Terry and Jose were fun and Dory was on fine form. Even Mil didn't suck too much.

***3/4

#59 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

I will be diving into a lot of Dory watching soon, and I really want to love him as much as you do, if only so you don't have to fight the battle in support of him alone. I respect you for being unwavered by your detractors.

#60 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Funks vs Lothario/Mascaras 1/7/79

I enjoyed this bout. The 1 st fall wasn't much. Though we see Dory look really aggressive throwing some nasty European Forearms that woke the crowd up. Other than that it was basic tag team wrestling with the faces controlling the action. They'd tag in and out. They cut the ring in 1/2. We'd see blocking. In the end the Funks would steal a fall.

The 2nd fall the Funks get heat on Lothario was really well done. When Lothario made his comeback the Funks gave everything back and pinballed their asses off for Lothario's punches and Russian leg sweep. The 2nd fall was really great.

The 3rd fall was fun as well. The punches between Jose and Terry were tremendous. We see Mil shine by incorporating his highspots. Plus the finish was good stuff. I enjoyed this match. 3*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users