Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

Coming back to the Inter-Gender wrestling topic. Candrice Larae won her opening round BOLA match . She also teamed with Ryan to defended the tag titles on the first nite. The tag match was a 3 way with Rich Swann /Ricochet and Bad Influence . Swann had to put her over twice. Yes , Ryan and Larue are the PWG champs. This is the same company books the Young Bucks , Bad Influence and ReDragon

Do you think Super Dragon will book her to reach the BOLA finals or win the whole thing ? Apparrently she is super over with the 250 people that attend PWG shows and Super Dragon seemed to be committed to having her at the top of a all male roster.. It will be interesting to see the results of the finals.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Intergender matches

I am a pretty open minded person, but I can't help but feel that the man/woman matches are just sleazy. It just SCREAMS lo-rent indie and is one of the worse carny tricks still in existence. I love PWG, but I NEVER enjoyed Candice LaRae being pimp slapped or doing all the crazy shit she does with Joey Ryan as part of her tag team with her. It usually takes me a few minutes (and Candice being slapped around a couple of times) for me to 'settle' into one of their matches. I don't watch a lot of intergender matches (and have no desire to), but from the little I've seen from Jenny Rose, Mia Yim, LuFisto, etc. I have to say Candice is the most realistic performance and the most 'fun', if that word can even be used.

• 4 weeks later...

Might as well give this thread a boost since indie wrestling seems to be a big issue. SO QUESTION TIME!

Is Evolve going to China being incredibly downplayed? When is the last time an indie company went to an Asian market? Would that be ROH? China from the sounds of it is a very hard market to crack into for wrestling. And from the sounds of it they could be in front of their largest crowds to date by a pretty big margin.

Might as well give this thread a boost since indie wrestling seems to be a big issue. SO QUESTION TIME!

Is Evolve going to China being incredibly downplayed? When is the last time an indie company went to an Asian market? Would that be ROH? China from the sounds of it is a very hard market to crack into for wrestling. And from the sounds of it they could be in front of their largest crowds to date by a pretty big margin.

It's certainly an interesting move by Gabe and co. I can see it working out terrifically for them, but at the same time I wonder if it will yield long lasting results from a country that I don't believe has ever shown a sustained interest in pro wrestling.

I have every intention on watching some Thatcher in the next couple of weeks. There's just a lot on my plate.

I think you'll dig him, hopefully, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of EVOLVE, they're not something I follow but I read this in the Observer:

We’ve heard lots of good reports on Evolve over the weekend. Gabe Sapolsky has changed the format of the shows to straight matches, all singles matches, no intermission, with an emphasis on less high spots and more technical wrestling. He’s eliminating multiple person filler matches thinking that the three-and-four-way matches can get people to pop for them but everyone forgets about them five minutes after they are over. The philosophy is to vary times, have some matches build to a finish and others end with no build, just to show the end can come at any time. The idea is to keep the shows between two hours and 15 minute and two hours and 30 minutes. The heavy technical style is going to be built around Timothy Thatcher, Drew Gulak, Biff Busick and Zack Sabre Jr. as the leaders of the new style.

Sounds good to me.

I don't think that is 100% on the nose with the "all singles matches" point but it has become pretty evident throughout the year that Gabe is approaching EVOLVE a little differently right now. Trying to imagine how a Thatcher vs Busick match in China comes off to that crowd since I have NO idea if they have this big interest in combat sports or anything.

Speaking of EVOLVE, they're not something I follow but I read this in the Observer:

We’ve heard lots of good reports on Evolve over the weekend. Gabe Sapolsky has changed the format of the shows to straight matches, all singles matches, no intermission, with an emphasis on less high spots and more technical wrestling. He’s eliminating multiple person filler matches thinking that the three-and-four-way matches can get people to pop for them but everyone forgets about them five minutes after they are over. The philosophy is to vary times, have some matches build to a finish and others end with no build, just to show the end can come at any time. The idea is to keep the shows between two hours and 15 minute and two hours and 30 minutes. The heavy technical style is going to be built around Timothy Thatcher, Drew Gulak, Biff Busick and Zack Sabre Jr. as the leaders of the new style.

Sounds good to me.

That seems like something I want in on!

I do think China is fairly high on MMA, or at least there's a fringe element there that is. I haven't followed the Asian MMA scene for some time though, I could be way off.

Sounds good to me.

I can't wait to dig into EVOLVE after the latest reboot. I have my reservations because it seems like Gabe always manages to mess up EVOLVE. But, a promotion that is centered around the work of Thatcher, Busick, Gulak, and Sabre can only be a top notch promotion.

I can't wait to dig into EVOLVE after the latest reboot. I have my reservations because it seems like Gabe always manages to mess up EVOLVE. But, a promotion that is centered around the work of Thatcher, Busick, Gulak, and Sabre can only be a top notch promotion.

I enjoyed the last two shows. Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher from the Friday night show was very good. I don't think Sabre, Jr. has looked outright bad at any point this year but he has been a bit hit or miss. Some of his matches are "just there" (most of his wXw stuff from this year for example) but when he is on he might be my favorite indie guy to watch. He was on in this match and was just excellent.

Ricochet/Uhaa Nation was fine. I didn't like their Dragon Gate match from March as much as some but also thought that was fine. I thought that from a structural standpoint it wasn't as cohesive as it could have been but there were several strong parts of the match and they stayed away from the overkill. Ricochet has been at somewhat of a standstill these past few months, but I still think he is on the doorstep of being really, really good once he figures out how to best structure his matches in a way where his agility spots feel a tad less forced.

It will be interesting to see how EVOLVE will be compared to the worked shoot AMBITION project by wXw, which will have a show next week with Gulak vs Sabre. A "straight" wrestling product can have many stylistically differences so it will be interesting to see how such matches might differ and see what type will be more popular on dvd & for live attendees.

I enjoyed the last two shows. Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher from the Friday night show was very good. I don't think Sabre, Jr. has looked outright bad at any point this year but he has been a bit hit or miss. Some of his matches are "just there" (most of his wXw stuff from this year for example) but when he is on he might be my favorite indie guy to watch. He was on in this match and was just excellent.

I was actually going to ask about Sabre, because the few hyped matches I've seen from him didn't really click for me, though I recall him at least having some interesting offense. What would you say he's best at?

I was actually going to ask about Sabre, because the few hyped matches I've seen from him didn't really click for me, though I recall him at least having some interesting offense. What would you say he's best at?

He is definitely an offensive-minded wrestler, which is apparent in both his good matches and not-so-good matches. I think he is at his best when he finds a happy medium between his arm bar centric offense and his British wrestling influenced offense (cat-and-mouse spots, counters, pinning combos). He has a lot of fun offense and when he brings it altogether, his matches tend to click. I think he is a bit like 2003 – 2006 Bryan Danielson in terms of having a lot of fine offense but still trying to figure out how to best put it all together.

I think he gets in to trouble when he works entire matches around arm bar variations or when he tries to wrestle more of a Japanese junior heavyweight style with a bigger focus on striking and big near falls. Those are the matches that tend not to click for me. He has fun and varied arm-based offense, but his matches that are built entirely around that become a little too one dimensional and a little too cute for their own good. He is not a good striker nor does he have the high impact offense to work a near fall heavy match, so he can falter a bit when he goes in that direction as well.

I’d check out the Thatcher EVOLVE match and the 05/03 GHC Jr. tag title defense with Ogawa vs. Hiro Tonai & Shiori Asahi for two different but very good Sabre, Jr. performances from 2014.

RE: China - There's one known promotion in China that was originally known as the Hong Kong Wrestling Federation. It started in 2009 and in 2012 got bought by ZERO1. Has produced a couple of okay guys like Jason Lee and HoHo Lun. Nothing blowaway but some good hands who don't embarrass themselves in the ring. (But It's ZERO1 so you know it isn't exactly making money hand over fist.)