Modern Indie Wrestling

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

#421 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

That yearbook thing sounds unspeakably awful. But I enjoy hating Chikara, so thank you for that bit of affirmation :).

I think Chikara is really dumb and their one show I went to was the worst show I've ever been to, but I will give them credit for maintaining their own universe. 
Agreed. They've done an admirable job of building their world and serving their audience. I don't know how their business has been the last few years, but that company certainly feels like one of the notable successes of the 2000s indy boom.

#422 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

While I am a fan, I know the angles certainly aren't for everyone, I just think it's pretty cool that they care that much about continuity while the WWE can't decide from week to week if the Bella Twins are faces or heels.

#423 Dewar

Dewar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

Clearly you missed the episode of Raw when Mark Henry's son, THE HAND showed up.

#424 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

2CW will be live streaming their final show(s) on YouTube for those that won't be there (So everyone here). I believe it'll be free. So far Young Bucks, 2 Cold Scorpio, Eddie Edwards, Sami Callihan, Candice LeRae, and AR Fox+more are confirmed.

The show is actually made up of a first set at 3:30 and a second set at 7PM. So it'll be an all day thing

#425 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

If you had the resources to run an indy show within the next six months, what would your card be and what city would you run?

#426 Memphis Mark

Memphis Mark
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

I open a PWG type promotion in Houston, TX. Which  is on pace to past Chicago in market size. I would use a mix of  free agents  and locals . The locals. would have to have a huge upside. I would assume that I could not use ROH or LU talent. TNA and WWN  talent are  available for bookings.

I would book Sami Callihan , Tommasso Ciampa , Drew Galloway , Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards , Johnny Gargano  , Chuck Taylor , Chris Hero , Mike Bailey  and AR Fox from the free agent pool.

I would book a group of regional talent to balance the card.  They would be Lance Hoyt , Luke Hawx , Mike Dell , Andy Dalton , Keith Lee and  Shane Taylor .

The card would be .

Sami Callihan vs. Tommasso Ciampa

Drew Galloway vs. Luke Hawx

Richards/ Edwards vs. Taylor/ Lee

Johnny Gargano vs. Andy Dalton 

Chuck Taylor vs. Mike Dell

Chris Hero vs. Lance Hoyt 

Mike Bailey vs. AR Fox

#427 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7883 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

If you had the resources to run an indy show within the next six months, what would your card be and what city would you run?

Toronto!

LA Park & Pentagon Jr. vs Mike Bailey & Chris Hero (No Holds Barred)

Kongo Kong vs Sami Callihan

Zack Sabre Jr. vs Scotty O'Shea

Cherry Bomb vs Cheerleader Melissa

Dalton Castle vs TARIK

Luke Gallows & Chase Owens vs Super Smash Brothers

Brent Banks vs Timothy Thatcher

Pepper Parks vs Drew Galloway

Something like that. It would cost a bit of money, but not insane due to using a bunch of local talent.

By the way that Hero/Bailey vs Park/Pentagon match is something I have been wanting to see for a long while now.

#428 NotJayTabb

NotJayTabb
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'd have to look to book shows as an on-going concern, as there's enough promotions running in the UK to make a one-off show a hard sell. Especially as a lot of British guys will work each other around the country anyway, you'd need some kind of stories to lure people along. I'd run in Birmingham, in the middle of the country to make it easier to persuade people to travel from all over, and I'd probably allow myself three imports with a bit of buzz to sweeten the deal (in this case, Dalton Castle, Roderick Strong and Pentagon Jr). Probably a 7 match card, looking like:

Rampage Brown vs Pentagon Jr

The Dunne Brothers vs Mark Andrews & Eddie Dennis

Mark Haskins vs Roderick Strong

Zack Sabre Jr vs Jack Starz

Martin Kirby vs Dalton Castle

Drew Galloway vs Joseph Conners

Dave Mastiff vs Tyler Bate

#429 Luchaundead

Luchaundead

Max Landis approved chant-police

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

This could go totally different ways based on parameters but, for my own amusement I’ll book it based on the idea that I have nearly unlimited funds and am not worried about making money or running more shows after. So based on what I’ve seen and this is coming from a  PWG regular the best crowd going is the Progress crowd at the Electric Ball Room so I’m running in London

In a mini tournament winning teams face off in the main event

War Machine vs Strong BJ

Sumerian Death Squad vs KES

Trevor Lee vs Kenny Omega

Dave Mastiff vs Speedball Mike Bailey

Pentagon Jr vs Jimmy Havoc vs Akira Tozawa

Kongo Kong vs #BigMike Elgin

Will Osprey vs Timothy Thatcher

Strong BJ vs Sumerian Death Squad

#430 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:02 PM

Okay, so 2CW changed the link for their live stream of tomorrow's event. It is free. Mike Elgin, 2 Cold Scorpio, AJ Styles, Young Bucks, and more are gonna be there. First show starts at 3:30 and second starts at 7. At least that's the plan.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live2cw

#431 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

This thread has been good and dead but I am reviving it because well I like indie wrestling and feel there should be a place to discuss and keep up as multiple promotions have popped up and become players since 2015 including:

• WrestleCircus becoming the premier Texas wrestling promotion now being clearly a step above Inspire as far as drawing and star power
  • Pro Wrestling Revolver being Sami Callihan's vanity project. A mix between big indie names, including BOB HOLLY, and lesser known wrestlers that Sami likes. Plus the rest of the Ohio crew. 
  • Glory Pro, headed by #BigMike taking the place of St. Louis Anarchy and taking it up SEVERAL notches. Going to be the platform that puts Curt Stallion on the next level. Has the right people in is corner to be a big name along with Myron Reed. 
  • CWF Mid-Atlantic hosts one of the great indie title runs ever with Trevor Lee. Their YouTube show has garnered a ton of praise for those matches and the surrounding booking. 
  • Michael Elgin and Sami Callihan have become the two most influential wrestlers in indie wrestling between their individual promotions and showing influence in WrestleCircus and AAW, which is continuing to be on the uptick.
  • Low Ki is in AAW doing good things.
  • Highspots Wrestling Network has gone above and beyond to release footage from top indies like AAW, CZW, and wXw. Their catalog also includes other promotions that likely wouldn't be promoted because of their geographic location like Defy and MLA.
  • PowerbombTV has become Anarchy Wrestling's home and continues to bring in strong partners like Nova Pro and Tier-1.

A bunch of other stuff is going on but these all seem pretty notable.

#432 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

That was a very helpful post for someone like myself who has kind of been on an indie binge lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users