Pro Wrestling Only

Emotion Vs. Physicality

Coffey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also was thinking (and didn't clearly state) that when a dropkick was an uncommon move, it would have a much bigger impact. Now that everyone and their dog does it, it loses it's impact. I think you can say the same for just about any move - powerslam, ddt, moonsault, etc, etc. You get desensitized to things over time. The typical mid-show Raw match right now would have been the most mind blowing match in the history of the show if it happened in 1994. Or, conversely, it might have been seen as awful - different tastes for different times.

Everyone and their dog were doing dropkicks from the 70s onwards if not earlier. It was a staple babyface move. I imagine the wrestlers who first started doing it used it as either a finisher or a specialty move, but as more and more wrestlers began doing it, it evolved into a regular move. Okada's dropkick is more of a specialty move than either a regular dropkick or an old-school dropkick. The height he gets on it is phenomenal, and surely that boils down to athleticism.

That's how I feel about spots on the Spanish announce table. WWE always goes there when they are trying to make a match "big", and it's something that I think should have been left behind back in the early 2000s. It's enough to make me like an otherwise good match a lot less.

That's fair.

What would make you say that though. Something would have changed over whatever period to change your opinion of this hypothetical match.

Could be any number of things. You could be watching the match surrounded by the angles and build and see that it doesn't deliver on the psychology or story in a way that you would think. Some matches are better in isolation/as a stand alone, but weaker in the context of the story they were telling over the course of several months. Sometimes it's just that you aren't as excited for something. In real time if you are hyped because you have wanted to see a match so badly, sometimes you will yourself to like it more than you would in other scenarios. Some would probably argue that's not a bad thing, and I don't necessarily disagree, but in my mind the truly great matches hold up. I've talked about this with Will and others recently, but in the old days a lot of times it was trying to justify a purchase that kept the rep of certain matches in tact. If you heard a match was great via Meltzer, or another well known wrestling critic, you'd have to drop some coin to pick it up on a VHS. When it shows up you've already lost that money and you have an incentive to say "jeez, I guess that was really good." even if you think something sucked.

Note that I'm not arguing that offense can never look dated, just that in context it is extremely rare for me to have that thought. Rare enough where I can't think of a single time I"ve said that when running through tons of footage from promotions all over the world in the 80's and 90s (and even 70s)..

I'm more likely to criticize something for looking dated for the time than I am just to call it dated by today's athletic standards. I might point it out if I'm watching a 1970s style match in 1994, but I probably wouldn't say that about a match wrestled the same way in 1983. I think saying standards don't change doesn't mean context plays no role at all.

I'm more likely to criticize something for looking dated for the time than I am just to call it dated by today's athletic standards. I might point it out if I'm watching a 1970s style match in 1994, but I probably wouldn't say that about a match wrestled the same way in 1983. I think saying standards don't change doesn't mean context plays no role at all.

Standards don't change, but the standards are different for different eras?

Note that I'm not arguing that offense can never look dated, just that in context it is extremely rare for me to have that thought. Rare enough where I can't think of a single time I"ve said that when running through tons of footage from promotions all over the world in the 80's and 90s (and even 70s)..

Is that because when you watch something from the 70s, you expect what you get? If you went to a show tomorrow, and a Lou Thesz match broke out, how would you react?

Moves change but I don't think moves are part of standards because moves aren't what make a match good or bad. "Are they working a contemporary style?" is a yes or no question that can be asked of any match in any era. What's contemporary changes, sure.

Anyway, I'm cornering myself into arguing something I'm hardly ideological about and I'm not even sure I'm right, so I'll stop.

Is that because when you watch something from the 70s, you expect what you get? If you went to a show tomorrow, and a Lou Thesz match broke out, how would you react?

What do you mean by a Lou Thesz match? Some of my favorite contemporary wrestlers are guys who work lengthy portions of their matches built around holds and build to highspots that are relatively mild. My least favorite current active promotion is Dragon Gate.

When I watch something from the 70's I'm hoping for a good match. When I watch something from 2014 I'm hoping for a good match. That is literally the extent of it. The tools it takes to get to the good match may differ some based on context, but I don't think they differ much if at all based on time period.

I am not opposed to highspots. Some of my favorite wrestlers have incredibly dynamic highspots. Some of my favorite matches have explosive sequences of big moves. But I don't think Aerostar's blindside cannonball dive is an innately better highspot than a butterfly suplex. It's about the journey that gets to the spot, not the spot itself

If you went to a show tomorrow, and a Lou Thesz match broke out, how would you react?

that's basically what CZW title matches are nowadays lol

the thatcher/gulak/busick trifecta has been getting a lot of buzz in the indies for that sort of thing, you know =)

It just looked like a really lazy, light, sloppy flow roll at an open mat session.

And the match I watched had a really weirdly done I hit you, you hit me, I slap you, you slap me, I forearm you, you forearm me sequence. Not my thing, which is a bit odd, since normally I really enjoy guys who work a slower, mat based style, but this just was not doing it for me.