Pro Wrestling Only

Impact Cancelled

Dylan Waco

TNA has looked like a dying company for year now. Sale rumours (that the company lied to the wrestlers about) since last fall, and even before the Russo situation Spike was in no hurry to sign them. I think they've just had their fill of this company, and the Russo situation confirmed to them that they were doing the right thing.

I'm hoping that this isn't Spike washing their hands of wrestling completely, but they went from having UFC and WWE, to Bellator and TNA, and the stigma of secondary programming isn't great.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the WWE has an interest in the tape library, I believe Spike owns all of the Impact footage. But really is there any footage they have that is really that worthwhile for the WWE? I don't think there is a lot of value adding old weekly TNA ppvs to the network.

Plenty of stuff in that library for docs/DVD's alone. Sting was there for so long that we are to the point you need the TNA footage for a complete doc of his career. Same for Dudley's, particularly Bully Ray. Can't tell a complete Angle story without TNA, where he's actually spent more years than he did in WWE. Hardy, Christian, and others did significant things there.

Plenty of stuff in that library for docs/DVD's alone. Sting was there for so long that we are to the point you need the TNA footage for a complete doc of his career. Same for Dudley's, particularly Bully Ray. Can't tell a complete Angle story without TNA, where he's actually spent more years than he did in WWE. Hardy, Christian, and others did significant things there.

We definitely have different definitions of the word "significant." I'm strongly, strongly opposed to the decimation of historical artifacts and records, but if there was one library on this Earth I wouldn't mind seeing burned, it'd be TNA's.

We definitely have different definitions of the word "significant." I'm strongly, strongly opposed to the decimation of historical artifacts and records, but if there was one library on this Earth I wouldn't mind seeing burned, it'd be TNA's.

Come on! All of it?!!

They're plenty of really good stuff in 2005-06 just off the top of my head. The 'TNA Is worst promotion in history' thread had a 'in defense of TNA' bit a couple of months ago, I'll dig through that for more....

I think the point is that WWE doesn't need the footage. I don't think TNA footage is going to make or break a Kurt Angle or Sting DVD. I have no problem with TNA not existing in WWE canon. They can briefly mention it in passing but I don't feel the need to see them go into detail about the many turns of Angle or Fortune or Immortal or any of that shit. As far as putting content on the network, who the hell wants to go back and watch Impact chronologically? There is no value there, plus TNA has most of their footage commercially available unlike the territories.

I made this point at DVDVR but it bears repeating...

It sucks that TNA wrestlers will be looking for a job but from what I understand, there are only a small handful of guys making decent money (Angle, Bubba, etc) and those guys are already set. The guys constricted by TNA contracts but aren't able to make ends meet who have talent should be able to make as much on the Indys or somewhere. Those who can't find a gig are probably saving themselves from even more pain and suffering when they get old and probably shouldn't be in a ring anyway.
People make the argument that with TNA, at least there is another option for wrestlers. My argument has always been that bad wrestling shows hurt the long term viability of wrestling as a whole and that wrestling as an artform won't exist much longer anyway if bad companies are allowed to exist even though they are proven failures. It only serves to shrink the wrestling fanbase, not expand it.

Guest Eduardo James

I wonder if the WWE has an interest in the tape library, I believe Spike owns all of the Impact footage. But really is there any footage they have that is really that worthwhile for the WWE? I don't think there is a lot of value adding old weekly TNA ppvs to the network.

You can tell a story just fine without TNA footage. Most wrestlers even now say people stop them and ask why they don't wrestle anymore.

I made this point at DVDVR but it bears repeating...

It sucks that TNA wrestlers will be looking for a job but from what I understand, there are only a small handful of guys making decent money (Angle, Bubba, etc) and those guys are already set. The guys constricted by TNA contracts but aren't able to make ends meet who have talent should be able to make as much on the Indys or somewhere. Those who can't find a gig are probably saving themselves from even more pain and suffering when they get old and probably shouldn't be in a ring anyway.
People make the argument that with TNA, at least there is another option for wrestlers. My argument has always been that bad wrestling shows hurt the long term viability of wrestling as a whole and that wrestling as an artform won't exist much longer anyway if bad companies are allowed to exist even though they are proven failures. It only serves to shrink the wrestling fanbase, not expand it.

I tend to agree.

It is never good when someone loses a job through circumstances beyond their control. That's life though and it happens in all industries all of the time. In the end, the wrestlers with something to offer will land on their feet. The guys with the toughest road ahead will be your Bobby Roodes and James Storms who probably deserve a job elsewhere but there just aren't many obvious fits for what they bring to the table (mid-30's, not big stars, no ties to former promotions, good but not great workers, ect.). I think it is possible for guys like Joe and Aries to be better off financially if they can land the right gigs and many of the other wrestlers should be able to land on their feet one way or another.

I definitely agree with the last point. Maybe there is no market at all for a #2 wrestling promotion in the US. It is certainly possible that if/when TNA fully goes under that nothing pops up to fill that "void". However, TNA was doing little to help wrestling besides being a place where 20 or so wrestlers and a few dozen more office employees could make a living. They were the #2 by default and more than anything, the promotion served as a road block from any other promotion even having the opportunity to up their profile.

On the audio update from last night, Meltzer seemed pessimistic about another promotion being able land a good TV deal. He sighted WWE's mediocre TV rights deal, WWE's inability to find a new home for Main Event or Saturday Morning Slam, and Jarrett's (so far) inability to land a TV deal for his project. Those are all solid points but I think another promotion will land on national television at some point. Wrestling as too long of a track record on cable for some network not to take a chance. It would be a reach (but not a huge one) to argue that on a network with comparable reach to Spike TV, the floor for a weekly pro wrestling show with at least okay talent and good production values is probably around 1 million viewers (roughly what TNA was doing). Some network at some point will take a shot at wrestling given that kind of potential return if the price is right. Hopefully the next time, the promotion that gets that opportunity is more suited to handle it.

It be a shame to see TNA cancelled but its not the end. Im sure they could get a deal with another channel.

It's the end. Spike money kept them going. Even if they do get a TV deal, which I doubt, it wouldn't be for close to enough $ to survive.

It be a shame to see TNA cancelled but its not the end. Im sure they could get a deal with another channel.

They have about 8 weeks to find a network which is hard enough. You then need to ask whether they will get the perks they got from Spike. Let's face facts, Spike kept TNA in business for the best part of a decade.

Its not looking good.

I think the real story lurking beneath all of this will be whether or not (a) another network like Fox Sports 1 picks up Impact and/or (B) Spike TV takes on another wrestling show. I think if neither of those things happen in the next year, then we may be going a really long time without a true viable No. 2 national wrestling promotion, which in the end would be very bad for wrestling overall.

In the end, I do feel bad that so many wrestlers busted their asses and broke their bodies for TNA only to have mismanagement continually fuck up every opportunity they had to grow and said mismanagement to potentially lead to the demise of the company.

I didn't know there was a viable #2 currently.

While it certainly sucks for guys who lose a paycheque, I'm not going to cry over a company that put out consistently horrendous product over the years. How a company with so much great talent could never do anything with it all, I'll never understand. And any flash of quality they managed to hit upon only served to shed a light on how horrible everything else was.

Hopefully whatever replaces them at whatever level will attempt to be different and do better. And hopefully does not involve an authority figure in any way.

Wrestelzone:

A source has now informed us that Dave Lagana, former WWE creative writer and current Director of Creative Writing for TNA, has approached Ring of Honor as a possible next step. He is interested in producing future live PPV events, as well as managing all of ROH’s online and social media presence.

Lagana has been with TNA since October of 2011, and actually worked as a backstage producer for Ring of Honor for several years, following his six-year run as a writer and producer for WWE. He became well known on the internet as the voice of the “I Want Wrestling” podcast in 2011. We’ve been told there is at least some preliminary interest by ROH in bringing him back to the company.

LoLagana

Also Jim Ross wrote this on SATURDAY:

Speaking of ROH, the ever present rumor mill says that they might be for sale. I can't verify such but it wouldn't surprise me. The 'new' wore off Sinclair Broadcasting buying their own pro wrestling company a long time ago. Too bad because there's money to be made with ROH if it was positioned better.

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/saturday-blog-mark-madden-roh-wrestling-impactspike-tv-ufcfightnight-aj-podcast-rocks-sting