Pro Wrestling Only

Top 10 WWWF/WWF/WWE Moments in History

soup23

This came up in the 1998 footage thread and it is something that I am interested to hear the opinions on from people around here.

Here are the slam dunks in my opinion:

1. Hulk beats Iron Shiek

2. Hogan slams Andre

3. Montreal Screwjob

Beyond that, I think an argument can be made for numerous other moments including Koloff beating Bruno, Snuka diving off the cage, Double Hebners, WM7 Savage/Warrior aftermath, Tyson vs. Austin, WWF buys WCW, etc.

Which moments would make your list?

Is this just televised canon moments?

Hogan vs. Rock has to be considered not just for the match but I firmly believe that's where nostalgia became cool which led to different revenue streams like DVD's, Hall of Fame ceremonies, the Network, etc. You still see it today, every WrestleMania they need to book that "dream match" where as before they would utilize their roster and maybe some celebrities.

My personal top 10:

1. Hogan slams Andre

2. Austin 3:16 promo

3. Andre tears Hogan's shirt and joins Heenan

4. The Mega Powers break up

5. Warrior/Savage WM 7

6. Flair shows up w/ NWA title

7. Rock beats Hogan

8. Foley gets tossed off the cell

9. Undertaker's first year (I'd say debut, but I don't remember his actual debut. I say "first year" because I remember my friends and I totally marking out for him from the beginning. Am I cheating?).

10. Shawn Michaels kicks Marty Jannetey throug the Barber Shop window

11. Whenever Kamala pats his belly

The 3:16 promo, first stunner at McMahon at MSG, Tyson angle are all possibilities for Austin. I might also go with the image of him passing out with the blood at Mania 13 or the time he brought the beer truck to ringside.

Rock is tougher. As far as his iconic moments there's the face to face with Hogan before they brought the vehicles into play, the finish at Summerslam '98, perhaps the face to face with Cena setting up the first mania match.

There's also the taped Raw where Austin helps Foley win the title from Rock with a chair shot that's pretty damn memorable.

I feel like you also need at least one Vince promo or strut to the ring on the list, but offhand can't imagine where to start narrowing down that list.

For people's consideration:

- Larry Zbysko nailing Bruno with the chair / Bruno's promo after that, which for me is one of the best of all time

- Arnold Skaaland throwing in the towel vs. Iron Sheik to end Backlund's six-year run

- Cyndi Lauper confronts Lou Albano -- seriously if you haven't seen this angle play out it's just one of the best things ever ever

- Roddy Piper hits Jimmy Snuka with a coconut. Piper was just electric at this point.

- Andre turning on Hogan and grabbing the cross, a turn that had been 15 years in the making

- Jesse Ventura shits all over Uncle Elmer's wedding. One of the best 15 minutes in wrestling history, I'm deadly serious about that too.

- Jake Roberts's promo at Wrestlemanai VI, again for my money one of the greatest ever, or his one from This Tuesday in Texas.

- Hogan and Warrior square off during Royal Rumble 90, massive moment

- Debut of the Undertaker at Survivor Series 90

- Virgil finally turns on Ted DiBiase at Royal Rumble 91 or the win at Summerslam 91. Either way, tremendous pay off to a superbly built slow-burn angle.

- Ric Flair's promo on Hogan. "When you were making movies, Thunderlips, I was winning world titles". Just so good.

- Ric Flair's post-match promo at Royal Rumble 92, awesome.

- Ric Flair's post-match promo after losing the belt at Wrestlemania 8. "One-time means NOTHING to my career". Fucking phenomenal.

Maybe more later. I think people tend to go "iconic" with these sorts of things, but I'm going with stuff that stays in your heart. This stuff is the meat and bones of why I'm a wrestling fan, it runs through my veins.

Foley getting thrown off the Cell, Snuka's top of the Cage Splash & The Rockers break-up are all good inclusions. So is the towel being thrown in for the Sheik/Backlund match.

Maybe something TLC related, with Jeff Hardy jumping/falling off something high?

Jake's cobra chewing on Savage's arm, Superstars 1991. Liz screaming, Piper going nuts, Vince; "This was NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!"

Honky makes an open challenge for his intercontinental title. Summerslam 88. DER NER NER NER NER NER NER!! (Warrior's theme).

Shawn kicks poor old Marty into obscurity on the Barbershop.

Mae Young gets her tits out. Royal Rumble 2000.

Vince vs. Austin with one hand tied behind his back was a big deal when WWF won the ratings the next morning.

Mankind's HITC spots. Foley winning the title. Halftime Heat. Vince being revealed as the Higher Power.

Growing up, the Mega Powers explode, Hogan vs. Warrior, the snake biting Randy and Bret winning the title at Survivor Series '95 were big moments for me.

Chronologically...

1 - Snuka Cage Dive

2 - Hogan wins title

3 - Hogan slams Andre

4 - Mega Powers explode

5 - Warrior vs Hogan

6 - Savage & Liz WM7

7 - Foley HITC bump

8 - Austin joins McMahon WM17 finish

9 - Rock vs Hogan

10 - Lesnar breaks streak

Benoit & Eddie at WM20 would be just on outside looking in. There's not enough big main event, show closing, friends embracing in triumph finishes.The Taker-HHH-HBK was more ride off into the sunset like Flair-Michaels and Taker-Michaels.

Montreal has the wow to it like all the others but also has the "that fucking sucks" unlike the others, because of everything that Hart went through afterward (Owen & Davey deaths, career ending injury, stroke) and never getting storyline retribution when he was still competitive. All the 10 here can be looked back on far more favorably in some way, which is enough to eliminate it for me.

Rock-Cena was too 50/50 and needed a Cena turn to make it. I don't think Cena has a moment Top 10 caliber as a face yet.

Austin vs Goldberg to win the WWF-WCW war needed to happen for Austin's biggest face moment.

Either the HBK Ladder splash or Edge-Hardy spear at Mania is the next biggest spot IMO. Not No. 11 but biggest highspot.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Hulkamania begins

2. The Rock vs. Hogan (for the reasons mentioned above)

3. WrestleMania 1

4. WrestleMania 10 ladder match

5. Austin KOTR 1996 promo

6. The Screw Job

7. Brock Lesnar beating The Streak

8. Lesnar/Big Show breaking the Smackdown ring

9. Tyson/Austin on Raw

10. WWE becomes a publicly traded company

Honorable mentions:

- The unfortunate deaths of Owen Hart, Eddie, and Benoit and how all three of those shaped the business for the better.

- WWF buys out WCW.

- Austin clears the ring of The Alliance and 'saves' the WWE.

- Flair shows up with the WCW title

- HIAC 1998

- The launch of The WWE Network

- Chris Jericho becomes the first Undisputed Champion

- WWF becomes WWE

- The infamous Piper's Pit episode

- Raw becoming the longest running episodic tele....aw fuck it!

1. Hogan vs Andre.

2. Hogan loses the title via referee screwjob.

3. Austin vs McMahon

4. War to Settle the Score.

5. Implosion of the Mega Powers.

6. The renaissance of the European market leading to Summerslam 1992.

7. The resurrection of Shawn Michaels.

8. Tyson and Austin confrontation.

9. Montreal Screwjob

10. The reign and loss of the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak.

I may actually turn an in depth explanation of my choices and rankings into a Kindle book one day.