Pro Wrestling Only

What would have been a bigger draw (Mike Tyson)

Sidebottom

There was talk of a Hogan vs Tyson match in the late 80's, according to certain reports. As well as speculation of Tyson and Austin working a match in the late 90's, played up by the announcers on TV and by fans.

Obviously both would have been huge, so I ask which would have been bigger?

Personally, I feel although the Austin / Tyson initial confrontation got a lot of publicity, the prospect of a "in his absolute prime" Mike Tyson appearing in the golden age WWF would have been better. Tyson was due to appear on SNME before the Douglas loss, which I'm sure would have been a big deal if it were Tyson knocking down Savage and holding Hogan's hand instead. Just thinking about that gives me goosebumps. Therefore I can only believe a worked match between Tyson and Hogan would have been a bigger deal and a bigger draw.

I really thought Cena/Tyson could have been money, when Tyson was broke and was appearing on WWE TV anyway. Would have beaten a Cena/Del Rio match, that's for sure! Shoot, there's no way it wouldn't have popped a quick Raw rating. But hey, Maria Menounus and K-Fed were more important.

That's the difference with wrestling of today and wrestling of the past. You know there would have been a million promoters back in the day who could have figured out how to use a past his prime celebrity, that is a known tough guy and likes wrestling. Apparently, that was too hard for WWE to figure out. But hey, how to use the best ring announcer ever and one of the best commentators ever was also too hard for WWE to figure out.

I really thought Cena/Tyson could have been money, when Tyson was broke and was appearing on WWE TV anyway. Would have beaten a Cena/Del Rio match, that's for sure! Shoot, there's no way it wouldn't have popped a quick Raw rating. But hey, Maria Menounus and K-Fed were more important.

That's the difference with wrestling of today and wrestling of the past. You know there would have been a million promoters back in the day who could have figured out how to use a past his prime celebrity, that is a known tough guy and likes wrestling. Apparently, that was too hard for WWE to figure out. But hey, how to use the best ring announcer ever and one of the best commentators ever was also too hard for WWE to figure out.

I'm not following any of your timeline here....

Not quite sure of the timeline here, but if Hogan drops the title to Tyson at WMVI and wins it back a year later...$$$

If we're talking about a one-off smooze-fest...$

You're kidding, right? In 1990 a Hogan-Tyson match/shoot/whatever would have done killer money.

I'm not following any of your timeline here....

Around Tyson's HoF induction, he was cool with WWE and maybe even hosted a Raw. He's broke, is famous for being a tough guy and likes wrestling. It would have made sense to get a match out of him.

Hogan vs. Tyson would have never happened because of the logistics involved. If anything it would have been a Hogan/Mr. T deal where there was a big tag match on PPV, Hogan/Tyson vs. Savage/Earthquake or something like that, where Tyson did very little and had a couple of big KO punch spots

If Tyson ever worked a match in the Attitude era it would have been the same thing. Austin vs. Tyson never would have worked. When Tyson did the stuff in '98 he was coming off the notoriety of biting Holyfield's ear. He was still trying to get his boxing career back on track, and was still a draw in boxing. I don't think an actual match with him was ever seriously considered on his side, and if it had happened it would have been Austin/Tyson vs. McMahon/Mankind.....something like that.

As for that post ripping on WWE for not getting a match out of Tyson around the time he went in the HOF and did a RAW host spot.....really? I mean, if he wanted to they could have, but it wouldn't have meant more than Floyd Mayweather.....or Donald Trump. Even Maria Menounos got them a ton of publicity because of all the stuff she does on TV which hits a totally different audience. Tyson would have meant something......but at this point how much? It would have been more of a curiosity that got them mentioned on E! or Good Morning America or TMZ rather than an actual draw. And the K-Fed thing was just a TV angle that got them publicity and some main stream attention (and was actually surprisingly good).....no reason to knock it

Would 1990 Tyson really have done a job for Hogan?

I wouldnt have thought so. It would look bad on WWE's image having the biggest & most popular name in wrestling losing to a boxer.

Referring to Tyson in '90 as just "a boxer" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of just how huge Tyson was at that point.

At the time my cable guide was listing the main event of WrestleMania XIV as Steve Austin vs. Mike Tyson.

I don't think the WWF would have booked a match between Hogan and Tyson. I don't think Tyson would have jobbed to Hogan and no way Hogan would put over Tyson. Too many egos involved. I think it would have been strictly a guest referee or tag team thing.

I don't think the WWF would have booked a match between Hogan and Tyson. I don't think Tyson would have jobbed to Hogan and no way Hogan would put over Tyson. Too many egos involved. I think it would have been strictly a guest referee or tag team thing.

Plus I don't think Tyson would have wanted to be a heel. Even considering what he did later with DX, I'd imagine it was with the understanding that it would end with him raising Austin's hand in Boston as it did. It's purely guesswork on my part, but knowing now that he was such a huge fan growing up that might have been his mentality towards it.

Tyson was a superstar in 1998. No one really cared about him in 2010.

Far from true. To this day he is one of the most iconic sports stars on the planet.

Was the Oprah interview where he cried post 2010? I think it was. Basically, everything the man does will be a big deal until the day he dies. Why do you think Dana White films walking tours with him? He knows people want to watch Mike.

Plus I don't think Tyson would have wanted to be a heel. Even considering what he did later with DX, I'd imagine it was with the understanding that it would end with him raising Austin's hand in Boston as it did. It's purely guesswork on my part, but knowing now that he was such a huge fan growing up that might have been his mentality towards it.

I always thought the "heel turn" and joining DX was pretty contrived. I mean, I guess it worked, and you had the payoff of Tyson "swerving" DX, raising Austin's hand and KO'ing HBK, but it seemed unnecessary. That had to be a Russo touch. It would have been so much better if Tyson was on the fence/in the middle, had issues with everyone, and didn't side with either dude until the payoff

I always thought the "heel turn" and joining DX was pretty contrived. I mean, I guess it worked, and you had the payoff of Tyson "swerving" DX, raising Austin's hand and KO'ing HBK, but it seemed unnecessary. That had to be a Russo touch. It would have been so much better if Tyson was on the fence/in the middle, had issues with everyone, and didn't side with either dude until the payoff

I think it was just the WWF trying to make it look like everything was against Austin in that match.