Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-30-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys and Public Enemy

Loss

• 2 months later...

Public Enemy music plays as Joey Styles does an incredibly annoying markout. It's so over the top that it's obvious we aren't getting P.E., and it turns out to just be The Dudleys mocking them. Bubba Ray has a great sense of humor. Then Styles goes in the other direction and says, "Ok, Public Enemy isn't coming", which makes it obvious they are. Jeez this guy sucks. So heavy-handed and cute. Finally, PE does come out and does a number on the Dudleys to a big pop. This would be so much better if Styles would just SHUT UP.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agree with Styles. Im still baffled he is held up as one of the bigger assets of ECW as I haven't seen it and would have him below Tony even at this point. This was good with Bubba running down everyone falling for the gag and making fun of Rocco Rock's age. PE of course cleans house which is cool but they honestly didn't get as big a reaction as I figured they would.

• 2 years later...

Hahahaha, everyone's beaten me to my obligatory "Joey Styles ruins everything by telegraphing it" spiel. This actually would have been a really good segment without him. Buh Buh Ray's Grunge impression just consists of him talking in a really high voice, but it's still funny. He also gets off some great below-the-belt lines--"I don't see the ugly old rat I used to fuck around here anymore," and a crack about Rocco's age. Then Buh Buh cuts a good serious promo that sounds exactly like something Paul Heyman would come up with to explain an unplanned absence. To the live audience, this was probably an effective swerve. To us, the TV viewer, it loses a lot from the commentary.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-30-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys and Public Enemy