Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-02-24-CMLL Japan] Tsubasa & Oriental vs Ultimo Guerrero & Virus

Loss

• 2 months later...

I thought this was an excellent match. Virus looked really good, so I guess he's had a really long period where he's been a strong worker. There are a few times where the execution is slightly off, but they manage to save themselves every time and they figure out how to get over great in front of the Japanese crowd, throwing in quite a few moves that I don't really associate with lucha libre like the top rope overhead inverted DDT thing that I'm sure has an actual name. I think this was a little long in the tooth at nearly a half hour, and would have been better suited to go about 16-18 minutes, but they never let up on the pace and crafted a match I'm glad I got to see. Interesting finish too. And I'll never complain about hearing "Rebel Yell" in any capacity.

• 1 month later...

I think this went way too long. They didn't have the structure or build you need to make a match this long interesting and they just kept running through spots without varying them enough. I was ready for it to be over long before it was. That said, there was definitely some great stuff here. The opening work was great, especially whenever Virus was involved. The guy in red on the opposite team was also great. A couple really good big spots too. Ultimo also hit a great version of his top rope reverse suplex.

• 1 month later...

Yes this was a little long but still enjoyable. Especially after that scary bump the guy in the yellow took when he slammed his head on the outside on a botched huracarana. I thought that would be the end of the match but it still went on. Some great dives by the tecnicos and Virus proves he's one of the best wrestlers ever.

• 1 month later...

Agree with the length comments but I thought this was great and showed four hungry guys giving it their all in a foreign type environment and mixing in wrestling and crazy spots. I may be overating this but it was so appreciated to see them try all this different stuff and not get discouraged with things didn't execute exactly right. Virus and Ultimo carried the other team in my opinion. Glad this made the cut. ****

• 2 years later...

I think if you prune the post-Virus-elimination stuff down you'd have a legit MOTYC. As it is, they sort of lose the plot and Guerrero is down 1-vs.-2 just a little bit too long for a guy who's supposed to be the rudo. But the double-octopus finish was spectacular. Virus was incredible as well, and I could watch him take people down and slap on holds all day.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-02-24-CMLL Japan] Tsubasa & Oriental vs Ultimo Guerrero & Virus