Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-03-06-MPPW-TV] Stacy vs Mae Young

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is phenomenal. Mae Young makes a spectacular heel entrance, telling everyone in the studio to shut up and threatening to hit fans with her cane. She makes a big production of taking off her glasses and watch. After taking a snapmare from Stacy, she fakes a heart attack long enough to lure Stacy in and hit her with her purse, which prompts Cory Maclin to complain that she made us think she was looking for her nitroglycerin pills! I am in awe.

Lawler is out to cut a promo on "Grandma", as fans are now calling her, as there's another house show tag coming. Please let this never end!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was worried with the way this was edited after the ECW promos that we didn't get this. Thank God we do as I'm looking more forward to this than Rock vs. Austin. Huge Grandma chant for Mae and she gives Cory a little lip too. After watching Morell do the same move in 1996 USWA, fake heart attacks are following my watching this morning. Mae sells it well and the crowd quiets down before Mae does the turn. Cory's "I CANT BELIVE YOU" really puts this over. Lawler teases punching her and Mae flees. Lawler hypes the show tonight and calls Mae grandma again. Billion Stars. 1/4*

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Objectively terrible but utterly glorious at the same time. Every match in history up to and including Tenryu vs. Jumbo from 6/5/89 would be improved with the addition of a fake heart attack spot and call for nitro pills as a set-up for whacking somebody with a loaded handbag.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-03-06-MPPW-TV] Stacy vs Mae Young