Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-03-22-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Rey Misterio Jr

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is such an obvious attempt to bury both guys. Put Flair against a guy who is still making his name, let them both not draw a rating and then claim Flair as champ isn’t working (even though the previous week when he was in with other big names did very well). That out of the way, this is the only time this match has ever happened and it had its moments. Flair tries to work him like he’s Ricky Morton. This isn’t as good as I remembered, but Flair-Rey has never happened any other time and you get to see what they do against each other for better or worse. Plus Flair ends up in the pool!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This match is ok but they didn't mesh as well as I would have thought with the Ricky Morton template there for the match vs. Flair. Some miscommunication and ugly spots prevent this from being much more than a history antidote of these two guys facing each other. I remember as a teenager thinking Flair in the pool made him look foolish and dumb booking. ** 1/4

My first act as booker of any American pro wrestling promotion would be to restore the Spring Break Nitro set up. Then I would run more college campuses.

The Buffer introduction of Mysterio is fucking hilarious if it was not included on this. Here are the highlights: "He gets this chance by the luck of the draw, but we all know he deserves it." is really funny when done in the Buffer voice. The Master of The Latino Frankensteiner killed me. Good shit

Tenay just said Flair swerved Mysterio on the hand shake. Bad shit.

Flair would have been a great Olympic walker. He has the speed walking form down pat.

It is always amusing when a Flair Flop catches an opponent off guard. Rey goes with the celebratory pose not bad. Even Double A is stooging for Rey. Flair lures him to the outside and BOOM steamrolled by Anderson.

Flair gets nasty with chops and punches. Flair Sucks chants and Rey chants! Cool. Rey times a couple nice hope spots. Rey hits the Brie Bella facebuster special. Rey's comeback is not connecting. Top Rope Latino Frankensteiner looks to win it, but AA pulls out the ref for the DQ.

Flair goes into the pool and is headed for the fans splashing them with water. That would have been the coolest Spring Break story EVER!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to admit I enjoyed this quite a bit. Maybe because it looks so good by comparison to what else is going on in WCW and the work is better than most WWF matches by this point. Flair doesn't mesh with Rey perfectly but he does it a lot better than one might expect, and other than Flair-Goldberg this is the first Nitro main event in months to carry some "what exactly is going to happen?" intrigue to it. Better than some other "yes, this match really happened" matches of the decade.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-03-22-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Rey Misterio Jr