Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-04-19-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin 'Funeral'

Loss

• 2 months later...

Rock does the Austin eulogy, which has funny moments, then reveals that he never threw the Smoking Skull belt over the bridge. He's wearing it. Austin shows up in a 3:16 monster truck, then switches to Rock's car. I hate this crap - wrestlers are not trained stuntmen and shouldn't be driving cars in angles. Anyway, Austin ends up running over Rock's car with the monster truck. Then he drives into the arena on the monster truck and also runs over the hearse. Then Austin runs to the ring and they start brawling. It's Rock and Austin, so they can make anything work, but I wasn't a fan of this at all. Enough of Austin driving things already. He hits Rock with the Smoking Skull belt on top of the burial plot then pours beer all over Rock. So he gets the belt back the week before instead of at the pay-per-view? Well, no. Shane attacks Austin from behind with a shovel and takes off with the belt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this segment. Rock as usual is gold on the mic. Austin driving the monster truck doesn't bother me, it fits in with his blue-collar redneck character and it's not like they haven't built up to it with the beer truck, the zamboni and even going back to 97 with the pick-up that D-Lo got backdropped on to. It works, the crowd loves it, don't see an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Long, winding segment that was good. Austin with the monster truck wasn't as memorable as the beer bath but was pretty damn cool and at least the stuff is happening inside the arena. I love JR being appalled that Rock still had the SMoking Skull belt like it was some huge travesty. The brawling on the gravesite was good and the heat on Shane was well done as it looked like Austin was going to end the show on top when Shane came out of nowhere.

• 2 years later...

I agree that there's too much vehicular stuff going on on these past few weeks of Raw, but with JR back, and Austin and Rock going at it, all really does seem right, or as right as 1999 American wrestling can get. I could have done without Shane's EVIL BAD GUY FACE but coming out of nowhere to whack Austin with the shovel and take the belt back was a good final exclamation point for the go-home show.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-04-19-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin 'Funeral'
  • 7 months later...