Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-05-04-ARSION-Hyper Visual Fighting Tournament] Mariko Yoshida vs Yumi Fukawa

Loss

• 2 months later...

Yoshida continues to impress and what really stands out to me the most is that this is the first match where I can really see the effects of the crowd being educated to the new style. As a result, there is heightened drama over all the submissions teases, and fans seem to have a cool understanding of a lot of the submission hierarchy. This is in some ways a slight step above BattlARTS at times simply because they can work nearfall teases into the match. I didn't think this was as transcendant as the other matches but it felt like they turned an important corner all the same.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow this was 12 minutes of great wrestling action. It felt longer than that with the struggle and intensity everything was performed with. It is easy to just marvel at Yoshida as she finds way to bend and tie Fukawa up. Fukawa for her part hung with Yoshida and contributed to the match overall. A great sub fifteen minute match with Yoshida advancing on. ****

• 5 months later...

Yoshida continues her fine form. She had an adversary in Fukawa who was also highly proficient at the style. You have to admire the technical prowess and fluidity on the mat. It's amazing what they fitted into the timeframe without feeling rushed. Lots of close calls and excitement. The fans were really into the submissions. Yoshida's arm was badly damaged but she pulled out the win in this hard fought affair. Shame it didn't go longer, though the decision was understandable in a one night tournament.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know if I'd call it the best ever as it's sort of an appetizer for (what I hope is) a promising final, but it's a hell of a rush for ten minutes of matwork. We have the Yearbook debut of Yoshida's Spider Twist, possibly the coolest submission hold ever, and a game Fukawa who always seems to have a cross armbreaker in her pocket to give Yoshida fits.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-05-04-ARSION-Hyper Visual Fighting Tournament] Mariko Yoshida vs Yumi Fukawa