Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-05-10-WWF-Raw] Sable vs Debra

Loss

• 2 months later...

RAW was uncontested on this evening since Nitro was pre-empted for playoffs, so they went all out with a big show and drew a monster rating. Shawn Michaels is at ringside doing commentary. Sable is a heel but still gets cheered anyway, proving that it's what's on the outside that counts. Val Venis shows up when the bell rings and strips Debra while she's distracted, and Jeff Jarrett hits Val with his guitar. Shawn enters the ring when Sable is being interviewed to interrupt and claim Debra won since she was stripped. Debra is now the Women's champ. The story here was that Sable refused to be stripped down and this led to her lawsuit for sexual harassment. This segment definitely has a privileged male world view, to say the least.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't really get Debra's appeal and never have.

Hot 39 years old blonde with tight body, great legs and big fake boobs. That was basically it.

Although her promos as airhead-southern-beauty-pagent-trophy-wife Queen Debra in WCW were quite decent actually, she played her part pretty good and it was all her own doing apparently.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After listening to Schiavone's frequent adoration of Debra's breasts on his podcast and the Sable stuff from Prichard's Sunny podcast ep , I thought I would watch something of theirs. This is the first "match" that came up when I searched on the network.

Michaels sounds stoned off his ass, easily besting Jerry Lawler for most offensive -- and slurred -- sexual comments. There's pretty much nothing redeeming about this segment at all. It's pure embarrassment.

Okay, here's something positive: there was no jello involved. At least the women got to stay dry.

• 2 months later...

'90s trash TV at its...er, finest. Misogynistic and transphobic all at once, though I confess to laughing at Shawn's "BACK OFF, MISTER!" at the time. For a supposed wannabe actress Sable does a horrible job of acting like she's upset at losing her title, so the women aren't off the hook here either. Shawn was out of it here, for sure. Not positive, but this might actually be Sable's last appearance.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-05-10-WWF-Raw] Sable vs Debra