Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-05-16-ECW-Hardcore Heaven] Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Little Guido

Loss

• 2 months later...

Great match. Similar in some ways to the house show match, but fine tuned and a step above it overall. They are able to do some extra things like use the entrance ramp to their advantage, which reminds me of the best early 90s WCW big show matches. Guido is a beast on the mat, and I think they worked about as much matwork as can be reasonably expected in an ECW match without the crowd shitting on it.

• 2 months later...

This disk is finishing off super strong. Another great match, like their house show match but with more energy and basically everything being better. Matwork was good, the outside/ramp stuff was good, Tajiri does just about the best tarantula ever. Their styles match up incredibly well to produce a unique and extremely entertaining match.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually like the house show match a smidge better but this was a good match too. I thought the mat work got betrayed a little too quickly here to do the ramp spots and big Sal looked more awkward overall with his apron support and interference. Still a good opener for the PPV to get the crowd invested into the show. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

Tajiri vs Little Guido - ECW Hardcore Heaven 1999

Cyrus says on commentary "Thank God I am a part of the creative team now." Wrestling in 1999 sucked.

Well this didn't! Little Guido is a bumping machine! Great on the shine early with rolling toeholds and the kicks. Guido was selling and bumping for those perfectly. Thought they could have used the Guido armbar takedown and especially that missile dropkick to the arm for a transition, more on that in a bit. Liked Tajiri sidestepping Guido on slingshot and diving out on Guido and Sal E. The shitty commentary makes a big deal that comedy FBI is dead and this is Guido the legit shooter. Whatever, eye roll. Tajiri launches Guido belly first onto ramp. HOLY SHIT! Best bump of the match! Crazy highspot. This followed up with a drop toehold by Guido and then a legdrop from the top rope to ramp. Just no transition, you take this badass bump and now you are in charge. Would have liked to seen that dropkick to arm as transition as Guido went back to arm with the armbar, double wristlock and a modified arm-triangle. Liked Sal' big bodyslam mid-match. Good short heat segment. Tajiri fucking ruled in his comeback. HUGE Props to Guido in selling those kicks. He took awesome kicks and made them more awesome with his selling. Loved the "oh shit" on taking the whirly bird. He looked terrified taking the dropkick to the head in the tree of woe and his collapse was great. Brainbuster picks up win for Tajiri. Really liked this pairing from a offense-selling relationship, more traditional structure and just an awesome finish run. ***1/2

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-05-16-ECW-Hardcore Heaven] Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Little Guido