Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-05-27-WCW-Thunder] Chris Benoit vs DDP

Loss

• 2 months later...

Excellent match between WCW's two best workers in 1999. DDP looks awesome in this and has really mastered his in-ring heel game. I love him choking Benoit with his wrist tape while in a reverse chinlock. Bigelow and Flair run out to attack Benoit. Flair-Benoit would have been a cool direction for both guys at that point, but it wasn't to be. We at least got a good TV match on Thunder the next week out of it, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't actually and this comes from a huge DDP fan now. I think it was a very wise move by him. The main event was going to be dominated by the bullshit with the Hummer and Nash/Savage. Positioning himself against Benoit, Malenko and Saturn afforded him to have great matches and I think he elevated the tag belts and made Benoit look more important too.

Diamond Dallas Page vs Chris Benoit - WCW Thunder 5/27/99

Best match in Thunder history? I would hear arguments against, but going through PWO and the Smarkschoice poll I am not seeing anything that was close to this. Benoit and DDP are the best workers in WWF & WCW in 1998-99 (I have never watched ECW from this era). It is such a treat to watch them work and I am going to seek out the Road Wild 99 match. I really don't see how it can any else than good. It is amazing DDP is just as good as a heel as he was as a babyface. He makes Benoit look like a million bucks in this. Having watched a ton of Benoit in 99 now, the commentary team and the wrestlers were clearly working hard to make Benoit feel like a main event babyface. The angle here is that Flair, who is loony tunes, gave DDP/Bam Bam a tag title shot over his Horsemen buddies. This has now transitioned into a youth vs. veteran storyline. Has that ever really worked in America?

These two just make every move seem like the most important thing in the entire world when they are working. Everything is so urgent and heated. I loved Benoit's reversal of the usual discus clothesline with a Crossface. DDP, all shook up, heads for the hills and all of sudden you see Benoit fly into screen and wipe him out. I LOVE THIS MATCH! We are only two minutes into it. DDP always ups his game against Benoit and hits a wicked back elbow to turn the tide. I like how organic it felt like you thought he was going for the Irish Whip, but he stops short with a nasty back elbow. The ring can not handle this fight. Benoit just keeps coming so DDP hits a low blow in the corner and then drops him head first on the top turnbuckle. DDP works a great fucking short heat section. We are taking nasty gutbusters and wicked big boot when he has him hung out on the ropes. Benoit was selling like a champ here. You could really him sucking for air. DDP asks the ref to check for the time and he chokes him with tape. It is official DDP was a Wrestling God in 1999! That's the most awesome thing I have seen in months! Benoit mounts a comeback off a jawbreaker on a sleeper. German with a bridge for 2 and then another one with a bridge. I like the rolling Germans with a bridge after each a lot better! DDP lunges for the ropes on the third one and that trick knee acts up. Love it! DDP hits a nice spinning powerbomb for his nearfall. He signals for the Diamond Cutter, but Benoit gets a backslide. DDP looks for the Cutter again and CROSSFACE! Bam Bam Bigelow runs in for the DQ and Flair attacks Benoit for his insubordination for good measure.

Tack on a finish and this is a contender for best free TV WCW match of the late 90s. Incredibly heated stuff early on that made Benoit look huge loved the early Crossface and crazy dive. DDP worked an outstanding heat segment like the best short one I have seen in months. I loved the Benoit finish stretch. Really, really good shit. Watch this match! ****

This for sure has to be in contention of the best Thunder matches. Maybe the REy vs. Juvi match that made the 98 set. This had a really hot opening that made me believe it was going to be a schmozz after a few minutes only for it to settle down into a great wrestling match. I must marvel at DDP that while his heel turn felt out of the blue, he now in just a month has honed the role down and feels really sleazy and despicable eliciting hardly any positive reaction from the fans. Benoit is now a face and I can't remember if he had a falling out with Arn or what. The finish here sucks and ever so slightly dips this below great range but I am glad we had these types of matches on Thunder to show even this late, WCW consistently had better in ring matches on a given week. ***3/4

• 2 years later...

Thunder is now very much a "go out and wrestle and fill 15 minutes" show, as we've seen in post-buyout UWF, 1984 New Japan, and other promotions nearing death's door. It doesn't lead to ratings or a hot product but it can lead to really, really good matches like this. I knew they wouldn't deign to have Benoit actually beat Page by pin or submission but I was actually okay with the finish, since it put Benoit over that DDP needed "saving" from him. I have no idea why Flair and Benoit are enemies now, though.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-05-27-WCW-Thunder] Chris Benoit vs DDP