Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-06] Sable on Tonight Show

Loss

• 2 months later...

Sable appears on Leno to promote her exciting new lawsuit! I don't understand that tactic unless she was advised that she needed to make some headway in the court of public opinion for some reason. She has changed her hairstyle in a way that makes her not as recognizable, and which I think reduced some of what the reaction would have been to her appearance on Nitro, although she might have tried hard to not look like Sable for legal reasons. I get the idea of Sable being hypocritical considering her complicit role in wrestling being more of an adult attraction, but she was a woman trying to make it in a man's world, so it's hard for me to criticize her too much. Leno doesn't seem to get that WCW's approach to drawing families was very different than the WWF's, but I can forgive him that. Arsenio is Leno's other guest and adds a lot to this, probably at least partially because he was a genuine wrestling fan at one time.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Slightly hypocritical perhaps? I guess she thought that her Playboy cover issue sold so well because she was such a massive star. Not because of all the advertising it got on WWF TV. Sable was just a phony, egotistical model with little discernible talent who got very lucky.

• 1 year later...

As little as I care for her as a performer or even as a figure of beauty, I'm sort of torn on Sable--she wasn't in a conducive environment in regards to women's rights or health, and it's not like she barged into Titan Tower demanding to be pushed. Vince liked what he saw, pushed her to the moon, and she became a major ratings draw whether we like it or not. In the end, there was probably merit to her lawsuit, but not $140 million worth.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-06] Sable on Tonight Show
  • 2 years later...

I'll say this much - in 2020, and beyond, if one of the women presented a lawsuit with those allegations that Sable made (guys drilling holes in the walls to peep on the women changing, shitting in her bags and other general torment and threats, top officials proposing that she "accidentally" lose her top on live TV in front of children in the audience) the WWE would settle this lawsuit for a lot of money. Maybe not $140 million but the damage control would be intense. Just a general difference in the times. Hell, the fact that I would be shocked to hear about that happening in modern WWE is enough to show how much the times have changed.

Having said all that, how crazy that she fucking RETURNS to this company a few years later when they were still pretty damn racy?