Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-06-13-WCW-Great American Bash] Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs DDP & Kanyon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Possibly a decent match with Benoit and Page in there, so I'll check it out in full sometime, even though the finishing stretch isn't exceptionally hot or anything. But it doesn't seem bad. Dean Malenko comes out to help Saturn up after DDP Diamond Cutters him, which gives Bigelow a chance to run in and help Page do a combo Greetings From Asbury Park/Diamond Cutter. Benoit eats the fall when I'd probably have Saturn take it instead, but that's not a big deal and I like the idea behind the Jersey Triad.

• 4 months later...

Action looks ok but I am sort of sad to see Page depushed into the tag division. Jersey Triad was a faction I never really got behind for that reason.

Is it really a de-push? Was Rock in Rock n Sock Connection a de-push? I think it is a healthy use of your tag team division. They are the WORLD tag team champions so theoretically it should be the second most important title. At GAB, it was the second biggest program (Flair/Triad vs Piper/Young Guys) and third most important match. At BATB, it is still apart of the second biggest program and the second most important match. At Road Wild, he is against Benoit for the US Title in the second or third biggest match (Savage/Rodman?). It may feel like a de-push because WCW sucked out loud at this point and nothing feels BIG, but in the landscape he was moving from the number one to number two position, which is not horrible. In fact, DDP is very shrewd removing himself from the Savage/Nash/Sting Hummer debacle and instead having the best matches on the card with Benoit & Co. leaves him smelling like a rose if he was to move back up the card. When it looked like he would move up with Sting/Luger in September (note Savage/Nash are gone after the world's shittiest angle) he looked like a genius, but Russo fucked everything.

In an ideal WCW, DDP would have been involved in the main event scene longer and Lord knows he earned it. I don't see it as a de-push rather a means to keep DDP hot in #2 story and elevate your tag titles, giving the rub to Benoit & Bagwell. It really was not bad booking short-term. It was just never seen to an end because Russo.

• 2 years later...

Bryan Alvarez went on a huge rant today on F4W on how the WWE books its babyfaces to be complete bumbling idiots. That's a problem that goes back to late '90s WCW, because good Lord was Malenko a dumbass here. I'm okay with the Triad but this is just another excuse to emasculate the Vanilla Midgets some more. Not only are they not as good as the Old Guard, but they're stupid, too.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-06-13-WCW-Great American Bash] Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs DDP & Kanyon