Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-06-19-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales, Wolfie D and Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hales is out to talk about what happened in Jonesboro. Doug Gilbert did indeed show up. All they have is a home video clip of the match. Hales came in to try to help Dirty White Boy and Dirty White Girl and ends up being attack by JR Smooth. Hales just narrowly missed a fireball. They ended up brawling into the parking lot where Doug Gilbert was also involved, as Dave Brown mentions that Doug causes trouble even when he means well. Hales won't go that far, he's a fraud. He knows this isn't a popular decision, but Doug Gilbert will never be at a Power Pro show again and feels like that's the right call.

Now, we have Wolfie D showing up, who is also blackballed and saw everything play out last week. He wants to talk to Hales, and Hales desperately wants to take this to the back but Wolfie won't have it. Wolfie has heard through the grapevine that a lot of the problems he's had in his personal life have been because of Wolfie, and he wants to know why he never got a job in Power Pro. He says it's great that he found religion, but that doesn't mean he has to abandon his old friends. Wolfie hates to admit it, but he and even Jamie Dundee made him a lot of money in the past. He's upset that Doug Gilbert went to jail and he has him outside in the parking lot. Wolfie D wants to play peacemaker. JR Smooth's group ends up attacking Hales before anything can happen. Doug runs into the studio to try to save him and ends up accidentally hitting him with a fireball!

Later in the show, JR Smooth cuts a promo at the camera and Doug Gilbert comes out to fight him. He's getting doubleteamed when Wolfie D comes to his rescue and they clean house before the BSK numbers catch up to them briefly. Doug finally makes a save and runs them off, and they are selling that Wolfie is not moving as the show goes off the air.

I'm kinda blown away by how good all of this is. I can't wait to see what happens next.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the write-ups for these segments, I purposely traded for some PPW. There was no way I could handle all the bullshit sports entertainment of the whole terrible year of 1999. I guess that's why I've forgotten them. I think its called "repression". Anyway, this is some seriously good, compelling stuff.

• 1 month later...

Another great segment and this is just miles and miles above everything else seen on Power Pro so far. Or WWE and WCW even. Old school feel while at the same time blending in the reality-blurring aspects of the time, but actually doing that right, and being focused on a real feud building to matches. Again everyone is great, the whole layout is perfect and it continues to make sense and actually make you feel invested in what happens next. Again I wish we had the matches this stuff is building to.

• 3 months later...

This whole feud fascinates me. Wolfie was one of the main heels in KAW just a few months before this. I guess he and Jamie broke up. I remember reading that Jamie was supposed to join Wolfie in Power Pro but got in a dust up with Randy Hales and bailed. This is a worked shoot angle that works. I like that JR Smooth's group is named after Undertaker's group BSK. One of the better angles in 1999 so far.

• 2 years later...

This wasn't quite the mindblowing transcendent angle of last week but Wolfie D showing up was certainly another eyebrow-raiser, coming off the awesome image of Smooth, Kulka, Gilbert, and DWB brawling on a tennis court. Randy Hales almost gets fireballed, Dirty White Girl almost gets piledriven, then DWG eats a shot to the throat from Smooth, and Doug Gilbert almost gets Hales' rent with the building in Jonesboro cancelled. I wonder if the guy taping this that Hales talks about is the same guy who taped those Jonesboro house shows in the 1980s.

We get a sort-of repeat of last week's angle with Gilbert outside the building and the BSK attacking someone acting on his behalf, this time Wolfie D. Smooth is gloating over all this at the end of the program and the BSK get in another beatdown on Wolfie before Gilbert breaks through again. Against all odds, PPW has found it best feud of its existence and it doesn't even involve the King.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-06-19-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales, Wolfie D and Doug Gilbert