Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #66 - Clash of the Champions XVI

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-66-clash-of-the-champions-xvi/

clash16.png

Chad and Parv review one of the most nondescript shows in WCW history, Clash of the Champions 16: Fall Brawl

- [3:14] Wrestling Observer and PW Torch roundup: a lot of people leave WCW, why hasn't evil Jim Herd been fired yet?, Bill Watts interview in the Torch, Chad runs the rule over Meltzer's mid-year Observer awards for 91, and more on the Flair situation.

- [54:46] Review of Clash 16: Ranger Ross! (briefly), did Cactus Jack's crazy bump adversely affect the rest of the card?, Ron Simmons: man of the people, and Parv rants about some of Dusty's booking policies.

- [1:59:17] End of show awards

AND be sure to check out Matt D's great companion piece at PTBN: http://placetobenation.com/the-column-beyond-a-dotted-line-through-the-georgia-brawl/

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Slowly making it through. Couple of thoughts on the Mid-Year Awards

----

1. Global was a major promotion to me as in, during 1991, it was a big part of my life. You could watch WWF on the weekends, but Global I watched on ESPN every day when I got home from school. I tell the story about how pissed I was when it was preempted for the MLB expansion draft, and I was in to baseball that year too.

2. Sherri was also amazing in her role as being the person Warrior could get revenge on between the Rumble and Mania, especially in the cage match at MSG, which ends up really uncomfortable. The manager cam match was vs Tito at the beginning of 92 and it's frustrating because I think it's the only taped singles match between the two of them during that mini feud and we lose it all to the manager cam stuff.

3. Hogan's a really fun choice for Most Improved, Chad, though I do think he had a pretty good 1990 too.

4. Virgil on the other hand, I don't think got all that much better until 1992. He has some really great jobber matches that year where he just demolishes guys.

Chad, at least the Braves were in midst of a great race for the divison at that time with the Dodgers.

Promoting an upcoming big series airing on same station as the show you are watching seems logical. Though I can see wrestling fans getting turned off in the way baseball/football fans LOATHE FOX's self promotion tactics, I don't think this was a bad thing for WCW to do.

Great show guys!! Are you going to go back and redo some of your earlier shows? I thought I remember you mentioning that....

Chad is a new father, and so we have to see how his schedule pans out over the next few weeks. I think the old shows will be re-edited and cut down rather than re-done -- I will just try to fix sound levels and cut out the play-by-plays of matches, which I think were tedious and just a rookie mistake by me when we were starting out.

What is missing from the early shows mainly, are the run throughs of the Observers, which, as you know, have become a real fixture of WTBBP. What we'll probably do, is just do a series of special stand alone recordings running through the WONs for 1984, 85, 86 and 87 until whenever it was in 88 that we started running them down.

The one other thing that I might do is to pull out reviews of key matches (e.g. Magnum-Tully, Flair-Steamboat), which also happen to be some of our better analytical moments, and perhaps link them them in one of Loss's sub-forums. I realise that some people might only want to hear the reviews of one or two matches and not sit through however many hours of audio to get there.

It's also important to note that the Atlanta Braves weren't being mentioned on the Clash solely because it was taking place in Georgia, but because Ted Turner owned the team. The Braves were a huge sports story that fall and made it to Game 7 of that year's World Series (October 27th, the same night as Halloween Havoc 1991) before losing to Minnesota. The tomahawk chop was a big deal during the fall and, IIRC, was being used by wrestlers and fans in WCW during this time.

Also, the footage of Ron Simmons' jersey being retired from Florida State was from 1988. I don't remember if it was referenced or not on the Clash as being from three years earlier, but Parv seemed to think it was current to 1991.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm aware that the braves were getting a lot of play at this time as worst to first and America's team but Ross was still talking a lot about a pretty non consequential series on a major national show. I can't imagine wwe announcers talking about a random Upcoming Seahawks game in the next few months.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm aware that the braves were getting a lot of play at this time as worst to first and America's team but Ross was still talking a lot about a pretty non consequential series on a major national show. I can't imagine wwe announcers talking about a random Upcoming Seahawks game in the next few months.

True, but given that both WCW and the Braves (and TBS) were all owned by Turner, it's not that far of a stretch why Ross would be promoting them. Lord knows WWF/E has been guilty of constantly plugging their outside ventures over the years (Icopro, WBF, XFL, WWE Films, etc.)

Congratulations on your new arrival, by the way!

I like Foley for certain things and think he has had a bevy of great matches and incredible promos. I get frustrated with his carny aspects and that I feel he gets more of a pass than others from the wrestling circles I'm around. Don't try to market yourself as different and the man of the people when you have the same tendencies as most other people in the industry. Beyond that, foleys style was selfish in that it got himself over but set an impossible bar for anyone behind him to reach.

It was interesting that he all but said on Austin's show last week that when looking to redefine himself after KOTR, he didn't want to be another babyface Austin clone because there were a bunch of those popping up. Instead, he wanted to sort of work the nerds since they were a big part of the crowd. He said ti a little nicer than that, but not much so.

Can't say he hasn't been guilty of all that. The money thing is negated to me - somewhat - by his charity work.

Also, as far as the thin skin goes, I get the impression he flies off the handle then thinks things through and comes out the other side with a more reasonable, thoughtful reaction. He's very good at stating both sides of any argument he's had with WWE over the years and sounding rational overall, in my opinion. That's mostly from podcasts and even the 2004 RF shoot.