• 7922 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

Discuss here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43535 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

Tenryu is definitely a wrestler where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. His execution is sometimes flat out horrible, but it almost doesn't matter at all. He usually wrestles like he's in the Tokyo Dome, even when he's working a smaller venue. He's in the Choshu-Hashimoto-Onita group of guys who are so great at projecting themselves as larger than life through body language and facial expressions. I still need to wade through most of his 80s resume outside of the super classics, but I know his rep there is that it took him some time to find his voice. Definite top tier pick for me.

#3 Graham Crackers

Graham Crackers
  • Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

His major leap forward as a worker comes during Choshu's time in AJPW. 1988 and 89 produced better matches because that's when the AJPW style as we know it really takes form but his personality has already taken shape by the time that the big 1986 tags start happening.

#4 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3045 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Anything featuring Tenryu from the 2000s is a great one-time watch.  He brings something only he can to all of the matches I watched him in during that project.  He was one of the top 5 workers in Japan in the 2000s in his 50s.  If that's not worth a vote somewhere in the top 100 I'm not sure what is.

#5 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3419 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

I love Tenryu, I think he might be my highest ranked All Japan wrestler. One underated thing about him was how great he was working as Flair against Mike Jackson matches, he totally can make you believe that a guy like Anjo or Aoyagi is going to pull off the upset

#6 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18953 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

Tenryu is the perfect peak + Longevity candidate. Maybe the only peers are Lawler and Hansen for guys who still had more than a handful of standout performances long after their peak. Then again, there are tons of lucha guys who fit this criteria also. Does any Japanese wrestler come close though? 

#7 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

Tenryu is the perfect peak + Longevity candidate. Maybe the only peers are Lawler and Hansen for guys who still had more than a handful of standout performances long after their peak. Then again, there are tons of lucha guys who fit this criteria also. Does any Japanese wrestler come close though?

I don't think anyone comes close from Japan. Several had a run of 15 good years. Tenryu gets to 21, '85-'05, and I don't think there's a case to say he had any significant dips as a performer during that run. *Maybe* 1997, with WAR heading downhill and minimal interpromotional action. Even then he had matches with Anjoh and Fujiwara to show that he was still Tenryu. Someone like Liger has a peak that kicks in around '88, he had some time off for injury, and his 2005-2008 doesn't have much in the way of high-level quality.

If you broke Tenryu's career into '83-'94 and '95-'06, you'd have a top 10-20 career and a top 40 career. Combining them is insane to even comprehend. Going through random '90s comm releases and TV blocks, Tenryu is a guy who you keep finding in hidden gems. His best '80s and '00s work is well known; you could almost see his 1989 leading into his 2000. That's a top 10 career ('83-'89 + '00-'06). Throw in the '90s? Top 5. Even after 2006 there are a handful of compelling 'Tenryu as high-end Baba' outings like the Misawa memorial 6-man from 2009.

There are some areas where Tenryu isn't strong. If you value those more, I can see not rating him highly. But I suspect most people will give him a fair shake, which makes me anticipate a top 10 finish for him.

#8 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1428 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

Top 10 easy, maybe even Top 5. Like Ditch said. 21 years with what he did is downright remarkable, and when he hit the right notes, he was as good as anyone.

#9 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4446 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't think anyone comes close from Japan. Several had a run of 15 good years. Tenryu gets to 21, '85-'05, and I don't think there's a case to say he had any significant dips as a performer during that run. *Maybe* 1997, with WAR heading downhill and minimal interpromotional action. Even then he had matches with Anjoh and Fujiwara to show that he was still Tenryu. Someone like Liger has a peak that kicks in around '88, he had some time off for injury, and his 2005-2008 doesn't have much in the way of high-level quality.

If you broke Tenryu's career into '83-'94 and '95-'06, you'd have a top 10-20 career and a top 40 career. Combining them is insane to even comprehend. Going through random '90s comm releases and TV blocks, Tenryu is a guy who you keep finding in hidden gems. His best '80s and '00s work is well known; you could almost see his 1989 leading into his 2000. That's a top 10 career ('83-'89 + '00-'06). Throw in the '90s? Top 5. Even after 2006 there are a handful of compelling 'Tenryu as high-end Baba' outings like the Misawa memorial 6-man from 2009.

What always amazes me even more is that he produced  two top-50 careers worth of quality after he turned 35.

#10 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5740 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

I expect a Segunda Caida Complete and Accurate for this:

#11 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8906 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

That's awesome.:)

#12 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

He was so dynamic in his last fews years in All Japan. The moment he tags in he's able to elevate the intensity and drama of a match either through his vicious offense or his ability sell a beating. He makes everyone look good and creates a lot of drama where there otherwise would be none. He's a lock for my top 5, yet every time I go back and watch him I realize I forgot how great he was.

#13 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

Requesting a list of 90s Tenryu recommendations.

#14 Herodes

Herodes
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

Others can point to more specific matches from 92 and 93, but basically any and all inter promotional matches from the WAR vs New Japan feud. Tenryu as the supreme mafia boss rounding up his crew of washed up yakuza low lifes to kick the shit out of the rich kids in new japan.

#15 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8906 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:34 AM

Tenryu as the supreme mafia boss rounding up his crew of washed up yakuza low lifes to kick the shit out of the rich kids in new japan.

I never thought of it that way, but it's an hilarious and very fitting way of presenting things. WAR was such a fun promotion.

#16 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5159 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Requesting a list of 90s Tenryu recommendations.

Don't have my spreadsheet handy, but you will not go wrong starting in '92 with everything in the Match Discussion Archive.  NJPW/WAR stuff is the clear highlight, but the Onita match is good, he's paired with Flair on a WWF tour, and that's even before getting to the later decade run with NJPW and his matches in the G1.  Then you have his turn of the century stints in AJPW and NOAH.  His body of work reads like a top 10 GOATer.

#17 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

Here are some. The ones that are underlined I either thought were very good or great. A lot of these can be found on Ditch's site.

Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask II vs Genichiro Tenryu & Ricky Fuyuki AJPW 1.14.90

Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Isao Takagi AJPW 1.20.90

Jumbo Tsuruta, Kabuki & Mighty Inoue vs Genichiro Tenryu, Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki AJPW 1.25.90

Genichiro Tenryu vs Isao Takagi AJPW 1.28.90

Genichiro Tenryu & Tiger Mask II vs Riki Choshu & George Takano NJPW vs AJPW Tokyo Dome 2.10.90

Genichiro Tenryu vs Randy Savage WWF/AJPW Summit 4.13.90

Jeff Jarrett & Bob Orton vs Genichiro Tenryu & Kabuki SWS 10.10.90

Genichiro Tenryu vs George Takano SWS 10.11.90

Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara vs Shiro Koshinaka & Kengo Kimura WAR 10.23.92

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa & Koki Kitahara vs Shiro Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura & Masashi Aoyagi NJPW 11.23.92

Genichiro Tenryu vs Shiro Koshinaka NJPW 12.14.92

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa & Ashura Hara vs Keiji Mutoh, Shinya Hashimoto & Akira Nogami NJPW 2.5.93

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa, Ricky Fuyuki, Tatsumi Kitahara & Ashura Hara vs Riki Choshu, Tatsumi Fujinami, Osamu Kido, Hiroshi Hase & Takashi Iizuka 5 on 5 NJPW 2.16.93

Riki Choshu & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa NJPW 3.23.93

Riki Choshu vs Genichiro Tenryu NJPW 4.6.93

Shinya Hashimoto vs Genichiro Tenryu WAR 6.17.93

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs Tatsumi Fujinami & Masa Chono NJPW 7.14.93

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa & Ashura Hara vs Shinya Hashimoto, Masa Chono & Tatsumi Fujinami NJPW 8.2.93

Tatsumi Fujinami & Jushin Liger vs Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara NJPW 8.3.93

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs Shinya Hashimoto & Masa Chono WAR 10.1.93

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs Tatsumi Fujinami & Osamu Kido WAR 10.11.93

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs Atsushi Onita & Tarzan Goto WAR 3.2.94

Genichiro Tenryu vs Tatsumi Fujinami NJPW 4.29.96

Tatsuo Nakano vs Genichiro Tenryu WAR vs UWFi 5.26.96

Naoki Sano vs Genichiro Tenryu UWFi 8.17.96

#18 benjaminkicks

benjaminkicks
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

I would add the G1 1998 match with Hashimoto. I watched it a few days ago and thought it was fantastic.

#19 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10178 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

I believe it's the 6/17/93 Hash match that is one of my favorite Japanese singles matches of all time. 

#20 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

1997 - vs Fujiwara

1998 - vs Araya, vs Hashimoto

1999 - vs Hashimoto

1995 -w Ultimo vs. Kandori & Fuyuki

I'd be shocked if there was a Tenryu match not worth watching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users