Genichiro Tenryu

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

A few favorites from what I had handy.  Can highlight some choice selections if you want, but THE MAN deserves a full examination.  TENRYU!

Ric Flair vs. Genichiro Tenryu (2/3 Falls) (SWS 9/15/92)

Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara & Masao Orihara vs. Shiro Koshinaka & Kengo Kimura & Masashi Aoyagi (WAR 10/21/92)

Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara vs. Shiro Koshinaka & Kengo Kimura (WAR 10/23/92)

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa & Koki Kitahara vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura & Masayo Aoyagi (NJ 11/23/92)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shiro Koshinaka (NJ 12/14/92)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu (NJ 1/4/93)

Genichiro Tenryu, Ashura Hara & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Keiji Muto, Akira Nogami & Shinya Hashimoto (NJ 2/5/93)

Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa vs Tatsumi Fujinami & Hiroshi Hase (WAR 2/14/1993)

Riki Choshu, Tatsumi Fujinami, Osamu Kido, Hiroshi Hase & Tayayuki Iizuka vs. Genichiro Tenryu, Ashura Hara, Takashi Ishikawa, Ricky Fuyuki & Tatsumi Kitahara (2/3 falls) (NJ 2/16/93)

Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Riki Choshu & Osamu Kido (WAR 3/3/93)

Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Riki Choshu & Tatsumi Fujinami (NJ 3/23/93)

Riki Choshu & Shinya Hashimoto vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa (WAR 4/2/93)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu (NJ 4/6/93)

Tatsumi Fujinami & Shinya Hashimoto vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa (WAR 5/24/93)

Riki Choshu, Shinya Hashimoto, Tatsumi Fujinami, Masa Chono & Hiroshi Hase vs. Genichiro Tenryu, Ashura Hara, Takashi Ishikawa, Tatsu Goto & Strong Machine (Elimination Match) (WAR vs. NJ 6/15/93)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shinya Hashimoto (WAR 6/17/93)

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs. Masa Chono & Tatsumi Fujinami (NJ 7/14/93)

Tatsumi Fujinami, Masahiro Chono & Shinya Hashimoto vs Tenryu, Ashura Hara & Takashi Ishikawa (NJ 8/2/1993)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shinya Hashimoto (NJ 8/8/93)

Hiroshi Hase vs. Genichiro Tenryu (NJ 9/23/93)

Shinya Hashimoto & Masa Chono vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara (WAR 10/1/93)

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Osamu Kido (WAR 10/11/93)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Ashura Hara (WAR 11/11/93)

Genichiro Tenryu & Masahito Kikahara vs. Keiji Muto & El Samurai (WAR 1/5/94)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shiro Koshinaka (WAR 1/14/94)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shinya Hashimoto (NJ 2/17/94)

Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara vs. Atsushi Onita & Tarzan Goto (WAR 3/2/94)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Atsushi Onita (No Rope Explosive Barbed Wire Cage Death Match) (FMW 5/5/94)

#22 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

I'd be shocked if there was a Tenryu match not worth watching.

A very good point.  Won't always produce a classic, but almost always manages to cobble *** together and rarely disappoints.  Really unique wrestler with an absolute ton of diverse performances. 

#23 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4463 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Tenryu and Misawa had a pretty awful singles match for two guys who will make a lot of top 10s. Sure they were old, but even so, it was bad.

#24 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

Are you talking about this match? I just watched that today actually and was extremely disappointed.

#25 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3343 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

His tags in NOAH vs. Kobashi are the highlights of his time there.

#26 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1907 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

If that match didn't have the two or so botches it does no one would be calling it awful. It was fine.

#27 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4463 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

If that match didn't have the two or so botches it does no one would be calling it awful. It was fine.

When you're talking about a dream match between two all-time greats and the best you can say is it was fine but for some ugly botches, well, that's the epitome of feint praise.

I'm not saying that match matters to either guy's legacy BTW. I love them both. It was just my instinctive response to the suggestion that every Tenryu match is worth watching.

#28 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10397 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

Of all of my really hilarious blindspots and areas where I just know nothing, I think Tenyru is the most hilarious.

He's a different human being than Tenzan right? It's not a Mutoh/Muta thing.

(It's nice to finally have a post where the Bobby Davis avatar pays off)

#29 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10397 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

Wow. He had a good match with Mil Mascaras. I should probably stop joking around.

#30 Graham Crackers

Graham Crackers
  • Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Wow. He had a good match with Mil Mascaras. I should probably stop joking around.

I'm always glad to find someone else who likes that match.

#31 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara & Masao Orihara vs. Shiro Koshinaka & Kengo Kimura & Masashi Aoyagi (WAR 10/21/92)

Genichiro Tenryu & Koki Kitahara vs. Shiro Koshinaka & Kengo Kimura (WAR 10/23/92)

Genichiro Tenryu, Takashi Ishikawa & Koki Kitahara vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura & Masayo Aoyagi (NJ 11/23/92)

It's on my wrestling fan bucket list to watch this WAR vs. New Japan stuff, so I knocked off a few over the last couple of days. They were fun matches, but I don't know that I'd call them great even accounting for the spectacle. Koshinaka and Kimura's brawling reminded me of cartoon wrestling. They weren't laying their shit in at all. Aoyagi was by far the best worker on the New Japan side, but the least prominent of the three and barely featured. The Tenryu exchanges were badass, but there wasn't enough Aoyagi. The crowd heat was amazing, especially the 10/23 Korakuen Hall show where Tenryu's female fans were losing their shit, but Tenryu didn't do much other than stand around and make faces. The 11/23 match couldn't match 10/23 for heat, but the work was better. I have a feeling going ahead that this stuff is going to be sloppy and heated, but there's plenty of theatre to it even if Choshu reaction shot was hokey. 

#32 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5774 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shiro Koshinaka (NJ 12/14/92)

Okay, now this was good.. Very simple and direct, but they sold well and it built to a tremendous finishing stretch with a great nearfall that everyone bit on. Koshinaka gets shat on a lot, but he was excellent here both on top and underneath. His blade job turned things up a notch by creating the illusion that it was hard way, and his selling was beautiful. Tenryu was also fantastic in this. Lariats, elbows, chops and powerbomb attempts, but it was extremely focused and he kept his opponent in his sights the entire time. When he wrestles like this, I can believe the things people say about him. Mowing people down from behind, sticking the boot in. But what about that finishing stretch? I bit on that nearfall along with the rest of the crowd. I love it when 20 year old wrestling can do that. The sequence after the false finish was extremely well done and the finish came on the right beat. Great match. Easy four stars. 

#33 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10487 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

I think once the feud transitions from lower end New Japan and Koshinaka to higher end with Choshu/Hashimoto, it really takes off. I did like those 10/92 more than you OJ but they do feel like a solid chapter 1 in the overall story arc. 

#34 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

I think once the feud transitions from lower end New Japan and Koshinaka to higher end with Choshu/Hashimoto, it really takes off. I did like those 10/92 more than you OJ but they do feel like a solid chapter 1 in the overall story arc. 

I'm with soup here on just about everything, but OJ, glad you dug Tenryu/Kosh as things do pick up once some bigger NJ reps get going.  That being said, perhaps I fell hard for the heat and atmosphere as I was all in on the early multi man tags in the feud.  Crazy heat, felt like huge, special deals 20+ years later and I thought the NJ mid carders held up their end of the bargain a lot better than would be expected.  Plus Tenryu's lieutenants are no slouches either and more than capable of keeping things stiff and hot. 

The best is still yet to come.

#35 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1907 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

Mascaras was a good worker in All Japan.

#36 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10397 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

We shall agree to disagree

#37 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5774 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:48 AM

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu (NJ 1/4/93)

I thought this was pretty good to begin with as it was two hosses fighting and scrapping for a takedown, which is exactly how a match of this sort should be worked, but it all went downhill when Tenryu sold that lariat. It's easier said that done, but he should have played it like he avoided the move by ducking out of the way. As soon as Choshu took over, the match became a Choshu-style match in the worst sense of the term. Nearfalls and teased finishes are great, but when that's all of you've got things tend to drag. And to make matters worse, Tenryu was having a poor night on the offensive end. His execution issues are unfortunately the predominant image I have of him, and not that awesome worker from the Koshinaka match, and here they raised their ugly head. The finish was also weak. It wasn't so much because he had to repeat the powerbomb, as you could forgive the first one not being executed properly, but rather that the powerbomb put Choshu away at all. That didn't seem at all well built to. Pretty stark contrast between this and the Koshinaka bout. 

#38 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5774 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

We shall agree to disagree

You don't like the Destroyer bouts?

#39 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10397 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

Mil's motivation could vary, to be nice.

I certainly didn't like him in the Blue Panther/Arkangel de la Muerte match from 01 and I downright loathed him in the Brody/Hansen match from 83. That's one of my least favorite performances by a single wrestler ever. There are parts of the Abby match I like, but they're all Abby. 

I've never actually seen the Destroyer matches. I should at some point. 

I see Mascaras as a wrestling problem. He's interesting to watch wrestlers wrestle against to see how they deal with him, kind of like RVD, though for different reasons. You don't wrestle Mil Mascaras, you cope with him.

#40 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11328 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

Ha has a decent match with Harley Race in 1980

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users