Mitsuharu Misawa

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Misawa has fallen more than just about anyone with me. He's still ranked incredibly high, more than likely in my Top 15, but I projected him to be a #1 contender and he has not delivered in that regard. It's a weird thing to complain about, I know, but I've been really disappointed with a lot of Misawa I've watched recently. 

The 9/6/97 match with Akiyama is when I began to sour on him. That's Misawa at his worst. His charisma was gone, his offense was bland, and he was a far cry from peak, say, 6/3/94 Misawa. 

I watched a lot of Kawada/Misawa tags recently and I came away liking Kawada more in nearly every one of their tag matches. For some reason I don't have the date in my notes but there's a MVC vs. Kawada/Misawa tag from the 1990 Tag League that Kawada blew me away in. Misawa was so often playing second fiddle and while he was great occasionally, I can comfortably rank him behind Kawada and Kobashi. 

NOAH Misawa is fun when he's on. I love his two GHC matches with Takayama. Anything he did with Ogawa, Kobashi, or Akiyama was a blast, also. And the 2004 tag w/ Ogawa vs. KENTA and Marufuji is not only one of my favorite matches ever, but it's probably the last incredible Misawa performance other than his 2008 match with Morishima, which is remarkably great. 

I love Misawa. He's an all-time great, but not someone that I can put in my Top 10 after going through this stuff. He'll fall behind Vader, Akiyama, Mochizuki, and a few others but I don't see anyway he ranks worse than #20. 

#122 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Misawa's biggest quality for me is that even his disappointing matches are ones I would gladly revisit and figure out why they didn't work out, and also can usually come up with at least a solid excuse for that happening. Whereas if an Akiyama match bombs (which has happened plenty of times, and I wonder if the amount of footage that isn't online anymore may result in a skewed view of him later) it's usually dull as shit and not something I want to watch ever again. Maybe that's because of how great Misawa's offence is.

#123 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

In creating my own list, my top 3 comes down to Hansen, Kobashi, and Misawa. At the end of the day, I'm more inclined to go Misawa for a couple of reasons

• Took part in some of the greatest singles if not THE greatest singles matches of all time.
  • Took part in some of the greatest if not THE greatest tag matches of all time.
  • Had a case for best in the world for close to a decade.
  • Was an offensive dynamo with incredible execution yet still a masterful storyteller.
  • Could still put on an entertaining and logical match past his prime.

While late-90's AJPW could get a bit excessive with multiple kick-outs and false finishes, Misawa (and to their credit the other 4 pillars as well) knew how to build up to those moments. Almost everything he did made sense and made those spots like the tiger suplex in the '98 Kobashi match really feel as big as they were. He was also a fascinating worker to watch outside of those big epics, especially as an underdog where he had to resort to the forearm simply because it was the only thing that could hurt guys like Morishima or Vader.

Simply put, Misawa was awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users