A Mercy Killing

#182 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

Stan Hansen vs. Carlos Colon WWC 10/12/1986

Fuck, I should have checked out this feud before the deadline

Awesome match with a great Hansen performance. He combined his relentless attack with great stooging and desperation. I also finally saw the great Hansen selling people talk about. Colon also showed great fire and intensity. ****

Honestly Hansen looked a thousand times better in this setting than in the majority of 80s All Japan. Most of his 80s All Japan stuff (and some AWA stuff) left such a bad taste in my mouth that I decided to leave him off my ballot completely and didn't watch more of him. If the rest of the Colon feud is this good, it combined with his 90s stuff (which ranges from pretty good to great for me), might overcome a lot of his stuff that drives me nuts and turn me around on Stan Hansen.

#183 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

I had Hansen at #31 on my ballot (which feels too high looking back as my gut instinct tells me the answer to whether I think he's better than Otsuka and Emilio Charles Jr. is an aggressive NO) and I want to elaborate on that since aside from Matt D he hasn't really been criticised much. I really love the idea of Stan Hansen. This half blind guy that just steamrolls over people, and, especially in the early 90s, will give the other guy shine but can also believably come back at any time. I can see how others would prefer him to Vader since he wouldn't go to his lengths in bumping and stooging. Hansen will beat the shit out of a guy and while appreciate that and think he can be great in some roles (especially the micromanaged All Japan 80s tags) I just don't buy him as an elite worker. I don't really find a lot of his control segments that interesting, it feels a lot like it's just start-stop-start-stop in that he will do something cool and then there will be kind of a weird pause and then he'll do something cool again. But I don't really see him as being good at connecting the dots, which is also probably why my favourite Hansen matches are vs. Terry Funk who can carry Hansen's control segments with his selling. I don't think he's as good as projecting himself when in control of the match as Hashimoto (or hell, even Kanemoto) and for insane spectacles of violence I get much more out of Futen stuff. Maybe I'll view him differently once I watch the Colon feud or his stuff in the US.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users