Stan Hansen

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Have you any more late 90s recommendations? I remember hearing somewhere that summer 96 v Kobashi was his last great match.....

I loved the '96 Hansen-Kobashi. Here's my review:

I'm not sure I had ever seen this match, but it's a worthy addition to their great matches from earlier in the decade. Hansen turned in a great selling performance after posting his lariat arm. I appreciated how much he stuck with it and made it a key part of the finishing stretch. It felt character-appropriate, because he came off more as an aging gunslinger than the bionic cowboy of years past. It amazes me that some think of Hansen as a guy who made up for precision with stiffness. Watch the timing of his cutoff spots -- impeccable, even this late in his career. I also loved Kobashi's body punches as a response to Hansen's early-match potatoes. All in all, another testament to the greatness of All-Japan main events.

#42 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

And the tag with Stan and Mossman vs. Kawada and Tenryu from 7/23/00 was an enjoyable war from his last year as a worker.

#43 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=acb3ZFdGF3I

This.  Misawa/Kawada are still teaming and young, which is certainly an interesting part of the watch.  But this is Hansen's match all the way.  The really great stuff starts when Hansen comes in and starts stomping on Kawada's head while Spivey has him in a Boston crab.  He gets chased out by the ref, but Hansen decides that it's time to up the ante instead.  What follows is some of the best character work Hansen ever does.

#44 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

Blown away by the lack of ove for Colon v. Hanson. I'd rather watch that then 99% of 90s AJPW

I'm with you 100% on that. Those matches blew me away in a way that 90s AJPW never has. They're big pluses in the candidacy for Hansen and Colon and the only complaint I have is the ending of the cage match being anti-climactic. 

I fucking LOVE the end of the cage match. I guess in hindsight looking at it as the climax to a long hate-filled feud, I can see how you'd feel that way. But I love it. That big brawl breaks out on the floor and Colon walks out of the cage to join in and basically wins accidentally? I laughed my ass off. It's just awesome in such a wacky, pro wrestling kind of way.

#45 Steenalized

Steenalized
  • Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

The brawling all around the arena is a good visual, but Colon winning by just stepping out is not something I'm a fan of. I hate escape the cage rules but this was almost an exception as Hansen tried like hell to get away from Colon. For Colon to win like that? Anti-climactic for all that built up to it, for sure. 

#46 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1484 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

The brawling all around the arena is a good visual, but Colon winning by just stepping out is not something I'm a fan of. I hate escape the cage rules but this was almost an exception as Hansen tried like hell to get away from Colon. For Colon to win like that? Anti-climactic for all that built up to it, for sure. 

Out of curiosity, did you watch the cage match after watching the feud in order or did you watch it in isolation?

For anyone looking to watch these matches, there's a guide for the feud in the Puerto Rico wrestling thread.

#47 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

El Borica, don't want to make a lot of work for you, but would really appreciate an intro guide in the GWA section along the lines of the Joshi or WoS ones. Personally, I'm massively looking forward to watching the PR stuff.

#48 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10164 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

I will do a "top workers/matches of PR" addendum to anything written by Boricua

#49 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7725 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

El Borica, don't want to make a lot of work for you, but would really appreciate an intro guide in the GWA section along the lines of the Joshi or WoS ones. Personally, I'm massively looking forward to watching the PR stuff.

Seconded.

#50 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

When Hansen was on the Ross Report he described his style as "act and react" saying that he never knew what he was going to do until he did it. His opponent would have to react to whatever he did and then Hansen would react to their reaction. That made the action in his matches feel spontaneous and exciting. There's an urgency and grittiness to his matches that you don't find very often. Everything feels like a struggle and a fight, even when he's working the mat. Mix that in with his amazing selling, underrated offense and his seamless transitions to high spots and I think Hansen has to be a top 5 candidate at worst. 

The 4.14.83 match between Funk and Hansen is a match everyone should check out if they haven't seen it. Both guys are doing what they do best here. This is why they are GOAT candidates.

#51 Steenalized

Steenalized
  • Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

Out of curiosity, did you watch the cage match after watching the feud in order or did you watch it in isolation?

For anyone looking to watch these matches, there's a guide for the feud in the Puerto Rico wrestling thread.

In order, twice now, though the first time was back in December or so. It was less bothersome the second time, but I also knew it was coming. I still love the match, the ending just keeps it from being as great as the strap match. 

#52 Steenalized

Steenalized
  • Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

And the match DR Ackermann just linked is my all time favorite match. Hansen and Funk are perfect together IMO. 

#53 MJH

MJH
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

It's aided by Kikuchi being utterly insane, but Hansen's match with him in early 92 is a work of beautiful brutality.

#54 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9059 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Count me down in loving the Puerto Rico Colon stuff. When you have "fans" throwing switch blades into the ring you know they're doing something right. I se him as a top 10 guy. My only knock against him is his runs in Memphis and WCW. I thought the matches were good. I just thought the program was identical with Idol , and Luger. We see him beat the local baby face. Then he gives a rematch with the bullrope match. I'd like to see him mix it up a bit more. This won't hurt him, but it won't leapfrog him from 3 to1 either.

#55 Gus_McCrae

Gus_McCrae
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

I just finished the 4/14/83 Funk vs Hansen match and was underwhelmed, If I viewed it randomly, I'm sure I would have liked it, maybe loved it. However, after the pimping in this thread I expected a lot more particularly, from Hansen. Funk totally stole the show and was amazing. Hated the ending. What am I missing?

Did adore the Andre vs Hansen match - that was amazing. I can't believe Hansen arm dragged Andre. Didn't like that Hansen didn't sell the arm after the punishment Andre put on it. Liked the finish here.

#56 Steenalized

Steenalized
  • Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

I agree that it's a stronger Funk match than Hansen match, but Hansen comes across as such a violent, aggressive S.O.B. in that match which is what I love. Principal Dory making the save doesn't bother me. 

#57 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, Funk has the standout performance but he couldn't have had that match with anyone else. Funk's selling is made even better because he's getting an all time ass-kicking from Hansen. A the same time, Hansen isn't eating him alive. There's a natural flow and Funk's fantastic, over-the-top selling is matched by Hansen's, but on a much subtler level. Watch it again sometime. I wasn't in love with it the first time I saw it either but now I'm with Steenalized. Favorite match ever.

#58 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1484 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

Seconded.

Sure, I'd be glad to do it. I have to see how I fit this into my free time, but I'll do it. How would you need the info presented and what would you need it to cover?

#59 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

I just read this entire thread and i apologize if it has been mentioned but I think people need to focus on his AWA match with Leon White as Hansen's key match being a ring general. It is an awesome performance of showing a younger hoss how you can dominate on the mat, build to big spots and beat the shit out of each other leading to the finish. Wrestling training 101.

#60 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

From what I've seen, his AWA run is what I gravitate towards. He had other constraints in Japan. For some people, that's what made him great, how he used those constraints to be a force. For me, without them, he was able to show a different side. I love how chickenshit he is against Bock and the Hennig match is spectacular. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users