Terry Funk

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Dylan (or anyone), can you put together a "must watch" Terry list?

It's ironic really that Dory has been the much more discussed Funk brother so far for this.

Sadly, it seems that there is less Terry-as-NWA-champ on tape than Brisco, Dory or Harley. I wonder why that is, but it's unfortunate, because he's looked great in the glimpses I've had, the Brisco 76 match highlights from St. Louis especially.

#22 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10164 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

This is a bad week for me to try and compile a solid list, but I will give it a good go next week when finals are over and I'm in Chattanooga with the other wrestling brothers Hales'

#23 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:05 AM

Another question is how strongly do people weight his 90s and 00s stuff in his GWE case?

#24 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:03 AM

I don't weigh that stuff too strongly; well I haven't seen him wrestle in the 00s and I don't really plan to, I've got too much stuff to watch to spend time on that.
In the 90s he wasn't actually that bad, he was pretty good in WCW in '94. He wasn't as good as he was before that but he could still perform on a decent level and he was old and his body was kinda broken down, so I think he did good enough that it doesn't hurt his case really at all.

#25 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7725 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

Another question is how strongly do people weight his 90s and 00s stuff in his GWE case?

I think it is a HUGE bonus, but not the main criteria. It's like the amount of wins in regulation for seeding in the NHL playoffs, it's a tie breaker.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

It's more about what you can learn about him as a complete performer from watching his late era work than the late era work in and of itself. I need to see the 04 stuff with Lawler too. 

#27 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

Late-90s  or 00s Funk will not impact his ranking for me.  Big believer that you don't judge Willie Mays by the Mets years or Jordan on the Wizards. 

#28 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10164 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Funk in the 90s and 00s is a huge plus for me.  I do not see him as a number one contender without it.  With it I do.

#29 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Reason I ask this is because I think I've seen the vast majority of top tier Funk stuff form 70s and 80s at this point and I'm not sure it can stack against Jumbo and Flair (as two examples) or even some other guys.

His body of work is weirdly kinda disparate, with moments of really high quality years apart.

I still have Puerto Rico to look at (Dory's stuff there was CRAP, and The Funks had a vastly inferior match with the Road Warriors there compared with their match against them in AJPW), but that's something to come.

But I think aside from a few odds and ends (maybe some a couple of loose South West stones?), I've exhausted Terry's 70s-80s output and I'm not sure if it's quite top-five level. And I LOVE the guy.

#30 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Late-90s  or 00s Funk will not impact his ranking for me.  Big believer that you don't judge Willie Mays by the Mets years or Jordan on the Wizards. 

Wrestling is way closer to Jazz than Basketball. 

#31 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

When Funk pops up in Memphis and AJPW in late 1990 he's still awesome at the age of 46.

#32 benjaminkicks

benjaminkicks
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

The more stuff I watch, the more convinced I am that Terry is my #1. If there's a Terry Funk performance out there that I don't at least somewhat enjoy, I haven't seen it yet.

Of course there's still plenty of time left, and I have a lot of wrestling to watch still, but I don't see Terry being unseated from my top spot anytime soon.

#33 TannerT

TannerT
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

The more stuff I watch, the more convinced I am that Terry is my #1. If there's a Terry Funk performance out there that I don't at least somewhat enjoy, I haven't seen it yet.

Of course there's still plenty of time left, and I have a lot of wrestling to watch still, but I don't see Terry being unseated from my top spot anytime soon.

I think this is where Funk edges out a few guys for me, the dude is so much fun every time he is out there I legit haven't seen a performance from him I have yet to enjoy. 

#34 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1885 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

There was a great statement about Terry Funk's selling that I wished I could quote (the board it was on is dead -_-) about how he would take realistic elements and then dramatize them which would make the match feel more like a spectacle-but his greatness lied in the fact that he would sell enough for it to feel special and just enough for it not to feel like a ridiculous parody of selling (see-Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair taking a bump into the corner). Probably my #1 USA resident.

#35 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

Funk was a great wrestler but his jelly-legged selling was the epitome of ridiculous at times. He forced his shit in, just like Flair did.

#36 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

Great performers give the audience what they want. If I watch a Terry a Funk non squash match I better get some jelly legs.

#37 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Funk was a great wrestler but his jelly-legged selling was the epitome of ridiculous at times. He forced his shit in, just like Flair did.

Great performers give the audience what they want. If I watch a Terry a Funk non squash match I better get some jelly legs.

I agree with both of these points.  Sometimes you'll watch Funk and the jelly legs are fantastic.  Other times I'll watch him and wish he'd find something, anything else to do.  Guys like that have a definite floor and ceiling on my ballot.  But I absolutely get why mileage may vary on him depending on your preferences / mood / what kind of day you had.

#38 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

I'm just going to go on record to say that I will raise an eyebrow at anyone who puts a ceiling on Terry Funk for jelly legs and will then read whichever names are ranked above him with an expression somewhere between "quizzical" and "outright disdain".

#39 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

I won't downgrade Funk for the jelly legs or Flair for the flop. Just didn't agree with GOTNW putting them in different categories as sellers. I do find that occasionally, Funk goes silly at a moment that feels inappropriate for the match. I might downgrade him a touch for that. But generally I agree it woud be stupid for Flair not to do Flair stuff or for Funk not to do Funk stuff.

#40 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

"Jelly legs" was used there as representative of his silliness / selling / routine.  Not suggesting any one facet of his game would dramatically impact where he stands. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users