The Nomination Thread

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#41 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

Tracy Smothers. These come from the SMW folder not all the reviews are mine.

Tennessee Chain Match for SMW Heavyweight Title: "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony © vs. "Wild Eyed Southern Boy" Tracy Smothers (4/2/93) They did a great job here of building up the importance of this match saying this was the first Tennessee Chain match in 15 years. Smothers dominated early taking the battle to DWB in and outside the ring using the chain to choke DWB where he starts touching the turnbuckles and goes to three sides but stops to deliver more punishment. Smothers touches the buckles again but Ron Wright would break it up so Smothers went back to pounding on DWB choking him with the chain on the floor. Tracy then gets the mic and calls DWB a stinkin yankee and drops a leg right in his balls. Smothers again touches 3 corners choking DWB with the chain but again DWB fights back to stop him. Tracy would then go up top with DWB pulling the chain to crotch him on the turnbuckle and finally DWB will go on offense. DWB uses the chain himself and brings out the juice from Tracy then follows up nothing but shots with the chain as blood flows freely from Tracy's head. DWB then touches 3 corners but Tracy fights back like DWB did earlier although not enough as DWB kept attacking him. DWB then tied up Smothers' legs with the chain as he touched 3 corners again but Smothers was able to monkey flip him over to break the count. Smothers would keep fighting back but DWB is too fresh and again touches corners but Tracy would jump on his back before missing a splash in the corner. DWB again would choke Smothers with the chain before touching corners yet again with Tracy again jumping him after he touched 3. DWB answered back by throwing Tracy over the top rope where he hung with the chain but after coming back in the ring he would pull DWB off the top rope with the chain to start his comeback. Tracy starts teeing off on DWB who is now bleeding as the crowd goes nuts and he would use the chain to choke DWB as he goes around the ring to touch the corners but he changed his mind and carried him on his back to touch the 3rd corner but DWB's weight took him down. DWB then took the chain and dragged Tracy by the neck around the ring and both men touched the corners and after DWB would flip Smothers over his head he would touch the 4th corner to get the win. The crowd is apeshit as Tracy gets the belt and this was an awesome match. Slam dunk nomination.

Lsdder match vs. Candido 4/1/94

I thought this match was amazing and one of the top ten matches in SMW history.I can see people saying this is better than the Wrestlemania X ladder match. It was so awesome how the wrestlers worked a bout on a normal level and then worked the ladder into the match. Just so many great stuff and moments in the bout.

Southern Boys vs. MX

http://prowrestlingo...an-bash-070790/

#42 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

Tracy Smothers. These come from the SMW folder not all the reviews are mine.

Tennessee Chain Match for SMW Heavyweight Title: "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony © vs. "Wild Eyed Southern Boy" Tracy Smothers (4/2/93) They did a great job here of building up the importance of this match saying this was the first Tennessee Chain match in 15 years. Smothers dominated early taking the battle to DWB in and outside the ring using the chain to choke DWB where he starts touching the turnbuckles and goes to three sides but stops to deliver more punishment. Smothers touches the buckles again but Ron Wright would break it up so Smothers went back to pounding on DWB choking him with the chain on the floor. Tracy then gets the mic and calls DWB a stinkin yankee and drops a leg right in his balls. Smothers again touches 3 corners choking DWB with the chain but again DWB fights back to stop him. Tracy would then go up top with DWB pulling the chain to crotch him on the turnbuckle and finally DWB will go on offense. DWB uses the chain himself and brings out the juice from Tracy then follows up nothing but shots with the chain as blood flows freely from Tracy's head. DWB then touches 3 corners but Tracy fights back like DWB did earlier although not enough as DWB kept attacking him. DWB then tied up Smothers' legs with the chain as he touched 3 corners again but Smothers was able to monkey flip him over to break the count. Smothers would keep fighting back but DWB is too fresh and again touches corners but Tracy would jump on his back before missing a splash in the corner. DWB again would choke Smothers with the chain before touching corners yet again with Tracy again jumping him after he touched 3. DWB answered back by throwing Tracy over the top rope where he hung with the chain but after coming back in the ring he would pull DWB off the top rope with the chain to start his comeback. Tracy starts teeing off on DWB who is now bleeding as the crowd goes nuts and he would use the chain to choke DWB as he goes around the ring to touch the corners but he changed his mind and carried him on his back to touch the 3rd corner but DWB's weight took him down. DWB then took the chain and dragged Tracy by the neck around the ring and both men touched the corners and after DWB would flip Smothers over his head he would touch the 4th corner to get the win. The crowd is apeshit as Tracy gets the belt and this was an awesome match. Slam dunk nomination.

Lsdder match vs. Candido 4/1/94

I thought this match was amazing and one of the top ten matches in SMW history.I can see people saying this is better than the Wrestlemania X ladder match. It was so awesome how the wrestlers worked a bout on a normal level and then worked the ladder into the match. Just so many great stuff and moments in the bout.

Southern Boys vs. MX

http://prowrestlingo...an-bash-070790/

Just when you mention that, what are regarded as the best SMW matches? I've never seen a list put out, would like to give it a look through sometime....

#43 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

I just noticed that Duggan isn't on the list...he had some classics in Mid-South against all kinds of guys

Are we going to nominate anyone who ever had a half decent match?

#44 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

Ivan Koloff

#45 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1542 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

I just noticed that Duggan isn't on the list...he had some classics in Mid-South against all kinds of guys

Considering the scope and intent of the project, I think it's necessary for the project's credibility that any and all notable names are given their due process of consideration (even if it's a tough sell for them to make anyone's final list).

#46 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Considering the scope and intent of the project, I think it's necessary for the project's credibility that any and all notable names are given their due process of consideration (even if it's a tough sell for them to make anyone's final list).

Yeah, depending on how many people vote, it will be interesting to see how many names come up. Hopefully it would be 100 wrestlers all jumbled into various positions.....

#47 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'd like to nominate Leo Burke and Raymond Rougeau. I'm a sucker for Canadian baby faces.

#48 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

With all of this new Chicago footage, Verne Gagne probably needs a thread

#49 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9908 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Duggan made those DiBiase matches great don't hate him.

#50 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Dump Matsumoto:

8/22/85 with Bull Nakano vs. The Jumping Bomb Angels

Crazy start to this match that's set for 2/3 falls before settling in to a nice tag match with the Angels selling big for Dump's offense. 

8/28/85 Hair vs. Hair: vs. Chigusa Nagayo (Part 1 of 3, other parts linked within)

The match that got AJW kicked off Japanese TV for a little bit as Chig bleeds buckets and Dump looks like the devil incarnate in front of the schoolgirl crowd. One of the most heated matches I've ever seen.

11/7/86 Hair vs. Hair: vs. Chigusa Nagayo (Part 1 of 5, other parts linked within)

The rematch, which is either at the same level or maybe even better with Chigusa becoming the face of the company by this point. Dump is probably at the peak of her powers here.

#51 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Butch Reed needs a thread.

#52 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

Kengo Kimura is an 80s set guy worth a thread

#53 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Billy Robinson, for sure.

http://prowrestlingo...billy +robinson

#54 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

I made an offhand throw away jimmy Jacobs comment, but I actually think he is an interesting candidate

#55 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Billy Robinson, for sure.

http://prowrestlingo...billy +robinson

He's already on the nominees list.

#56 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1542 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Pat O'Connor

http://prowrestlingo...66-pat-oconnor/

#57 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Sting & Lex Luger

http://prowrestlingo...luger/?hl=sting

#58 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Duggan made those DiBiase matches great don't hate him.

Hey, I'm not hating on him but where does this end? Let's nominate Paul Roma and Hercules while we're at it.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on my nominations.

#59 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, this may result in "guy who had a couple or handful of very good matches" getting nominated, but hopefully it doesn't mean anyone who had a few solid nights places in a GOAT poll.

#60 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Everyone has different tastes. It's not like we're looking for a united Top 100 from everyone and we all turn in the same ballot. There's a reason people get nominated. No sense in complaining about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users