Pro Wrestling Only

The Rules

Grimmas

Here are the rules for the poll.

1) The ballot is due the day of WrestleMania 32.

2) The nomination process will end on March 1, 2016.

3) You can only vote for nominated wrestlers. See nomination process.

4) The ballot will consist of 100 wrestlers (this may be negotiated to 50 or 100).

Tag team Rules:

1) The ballot is due the day of WrestleMania 32.

2) The nomination process will end on March 1, 2016.

3) You can only vote for nominated tag teams. See nomination process.

4) The ballot will consist of 25 tag teams.

5) Tag Team ballot is optional.

You're running this project and you've probably put in some thought to this process, so I don't want to come across petulent or anything. But I want to say that I don't see how the nomination process is productive. For the SC poll, people just made threads for guys they wanted to talk about, and talked about them in those threads. The looking for three match reviews thing seems kind of like busy work and I'm not sure what value it brings. I mean, I want to make a thread for Tomoaki Honma. Will be be on my list? Maybe not. Is he a good candidate for a top 100 of all time? Maybe not. But I think he's an interesting case who I'd like to discuss. Why do I need to dig through the archives of PWO for three match reviews and wait for someone else to make a thread?

I don't want to come across like I'm just whining or anything and it's your project and your rules in the end, just giving my thoughts.

You're running this project and you've probably put in some thought to this process, so I don't want to come across petulent or anything. But I want to say that I don't see how the nomination process is productive. For the SC poll, people just made threads for guys they wanted to talk about, and talked about them in those threads. The looking for three match reviews thing seems kind of like busy work and I'm not sure what value it brings. I mean, I want to make a thread for Tomoaki Honma. Will be be on my list? Maybe not. Is he a good candidate for a top 100 of all time? Maybe not. But I think he's an interesting case who I'd like to discuss. Why do I need to dig through the archives of PWO for three match reviews and wait for someone else to make a thread?

I don't want to come across like I'm just whining or anything and it's your project and your rules in the end, just giving my thoughts.

The purpose of the three matches is so that everybody that can be voted for has been viewed and discussed. That is fair. This project is to promote discussion and to re-evaluate. Lucky Charles has tagged most things, so a simple search should easily reveal results. Especially with the microscope and the match discussion archives available here.

• 8 months later...

Not sure where to put this, so apologies for bumping this thread, even if it's stickied.

So, I just got here, although I lurked before I registered, and, to be quite honest, my wrestling knowledge isn't anywhere close to the level of most of the other posters here. I know my WWF/E stuff, I have The Network, and I have a working knowledge of the SoCal indy scene post-millennium. I've begun to branch out, most notably with the purchase of the Highspots '10 for 10' deal, which I'd like to advocate as a strong way for someone without a ton of cash, nor inclination to research to get sent a bunch of random stuff to check out and then branch out.

With my introduction out of the way, I'm basically wanting to know how my participation in something like this would be received. I'm definitely interested in it, if nothing else it will give me great motivation to check out stuff I've never seen, but I don't want to step on toes due to my lack of knowledge, if that makes sense.

I guess, in a way, I'm asking if I can join the cool kids at their lunch table :P

I am not Grimmas, but he and I talked this over at length before this thing was kickstarted. My view on voters is the more the merrier, with the slight caveat that I don't like the idea of people ignoring the journey in favor of the destination. By that I mean I don't like the idea of people scribbling down 100 names off the cuff, without having at least tried to watch some new things, engage with threads/discussion here, and seek out some big matches of the big names. There is no requirement that someone try and watch every Giant Baba or Harley Race match that exists, but it would be nice for people to try and watch at least one. That said if someone can't do it because they don't have the time, or they already know they hate those guys, in no way should that be seen as a dis-qualifier. As long as voters understand that the process is a key part of what makes the GWE project worthwhile, "lack of knowledge" doesn't bother me at all. All of us lack some knowledge, and are excited to get new perspectives an see new things.

So participate, nominate, discuss, vote, et.!

So, as far as recommended guidelines go for considering candidates, should this entirely be limited to their in-ring work or should promo ability be included as a factor? Also, should we give any consideration at all for planned matches vs. matches called in the ring? Or are both of these factors better left as potential concerns for the individual voter?

So, as far as recommended guidelines go for considering candidates, should this entirely be limited to their in-ring work or should promo ability be included as a factor? Also, should we give any consideration at all for planned matches vs. matches called in the ring? Or are both of these factors better left as potential concerns for the individual voter?

Greatest Wrestler Ever's criteria is left vague for a reason. What does GWE mean to you?

The only thing we note is that you are voting based on footage, not on stories and rep.

After seeing some of the discussions in the GWE threads, I just wanted to make sure, that's all. :) Thanks for the clarification.

I'm in a similar situation as dedhemingway as far as exposure goes, but I have been gradually working my way through some of the match recommendations through the GWE forums, yearbooks, and Microscope threads to try and put myself in a situation where I can educate myself as much as possible before casting a ballot.

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the podcast and it has me wanting to participate. If I understand correctly, my top 100 list would have to consist of names that are currently nominated? And if I have a guy on my list that isn't nominated, I should nominate him? Just curious.

Just listened to the podcast and it has me wanting to participate. If I understand correctly, my top 100 list would have to consist of names that are currently nominated? And if I have a guy on my list that isn't nominated, I should nominate him? Just curious.

That's pretty much spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I had a vague outline for a list. But listening to numerous of the podcasts has inspired me extremely. Gone are most of the "I know they suck, but I enjoy them" as well as most of the "I know they're great, but they bore me" picks (thanks Will for the latter, that's all you!). And I'd decided not to include guys I'd seen in less than ten full length quality matches. Turns out, there's still way more than 100 candidates, and the list of nominees have turned up a couple of new ones for me (was pretty blank on lucha, but I'm getting there). So my key to deciding on what weighs heaviest for me was the podcasts.

• 5 months later...

I've clicked around a few of the threads in this section trying to find instructions for submitting a ballot. Don't see any. Do we just post our top 100 on the board? Or is an "official" submission process forthcoming?

Also, is there an updated post where all nominees are listed?

Details on how to vote will come out in March