Hulk Hogan

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

I dunno, I've seen many more shitty matches from Batista than I've ever seen from Brock. And Batista's probably a bigger mainstream star now; but he's certainly not a bigger PPV draw. Brock's rematch with Mir scored over 1.6 million buys, which is much bigger than any WWE show ever.

The Shawn match I think is great, I'll defend it to the death because if you knew absolutely nothing about the backstage bullshit surrounding it, and just watch the match, aside from the ridiculous Big Boot bump at the end it is pretty much the perfect, archetypal Hogan vs small bumping heel match. You could transplant that match straight into 1985 and it would have been amazing. Whatever Shawn was trying to prove, all he ended up doing was basically being perfect Hogan fodder and it made for the best possible match.

I'll agree with all that, and add one more important thing that everyone seems to forget: that's how Shawn ALWAYS works as a heel. Go back and watch his matches from 1997 with Undertaker, and you'll see him taking those exact same giant goofy bumps that he did in the Hogan match.

#62 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

The tricky thing about Brock is that 2015 was the year he was most heavily leaned on as a draw and we don't know how to evaluate it. I think the Network numbers were a positive reflection of his drawing power at Mania, SummerSlam, and HITC. But we have nothing to compare it with.

#63 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

I dunno, I've seen many more shitty matches from Batista than I've ever seen from Brock. And Batista's probably a bigger mainstream star now; but he's certainly not a bigger PPV draw. Brock's rematch with Mir scored over 1.6 million buys, which is much bigger than any WWE show ever.

The Shawn match I think is great, I'll defend it to the death because if you knew absolutely nothing about the backstage bullshit surrounding it, and just watch the match, aside from the ridiculous Big Boot bump at the end it is pretty much the perfect, archetypal Hogan vs small bumping heel match. You could transplant that match straight into 1985 and it would have been amazing. Whatever Shawn was trying to prove, all he ended up doing was basically being perfect Hogan fodder and it made for the best possible match.

I'll agree with all that, and add one more important thing that everyone seems to forget: that's how Shawn ALWAYS works as a heel. Go back and watch his matches from 1997 with Undertaker, and you'll see him taking those exact same giant goofy bumps that he did in the Hogan match.

Also, that 1.6 million was just domestic. I don't think any WWE PV has ever broken the 1 million ceiling domestically. IIRC, WM 17 came closest with 975k approximately. 

#64 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hogan thought he should get his win back from Brock, which I can see arguments for and against, but disagreement over that led to him briefly quitting. While I'm not sure Hogan going over Brock in 2002 made too much sense, Hogan was professional in putting him over in memorable fashion, and there was still more fuel in that tank, even if Hogan never beat him.

For me personally I felt he should have got his win back and then they could build up a third and final match between Brock/Hogan on PPV making big money, I didnt really see the point in building Lesnar up for a main Event run only to drop the belt to Big Show 3 months later. 

I would probably put Hogan in a top 10 Wreslers of all Time, was always a fan of his work and enjoyed his matches when he went to japan and I really cant see anyone as big as him not even Rock or Austin combined. Id make a pretty big valid case on Hulkamania merchandise overselling any Rock or Austin Merch regardless of how many different designs there were, Hogan deffinately ruled the roost in the 1980s & 1990s given it be WWF or WCW quite a feat I dont see anyone beating.

For me its a shame Vince didnt see more Longtivity in Hogan and Hulkamania in 1993 especially how he kept trying to create the next Hulk Hogan in Luger & Diesel, Im not sure how a Heel turn in 1993 would have worked in the WWF before a few years later leading to Hogan returning to the red & Yellow but 93 was a sad year for me to see how Vince wanted to shut down Hulkamania, even a decade later those crazy fans went mad for Hogan in Toronto and even the hall of fame and no one will ever come that close to a modern day reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users